ADVERTISEMENT

Asa Newsom

His dad, Marcus, is the track coach here at Wartburg. His older brother signed as a lineman at Nebraska, so him attending the Nebraska game seems like a no-brainer.

He got a moderate number of touches as a running back at Waverly-She’ll Rock this year, averaging around 18 yards per carry. Waverly’s primary ball carrier was McCrae Hagarty who ran for around 1300 yards. Hagarty is a highly ranked 197 lb. wrestler that signed with Iowa State recently.

Reactions: easy2
I talked to him after the WSR/West Delaware game because I had to walk him over to an interview, and was extremely impressed by him as a team guy and a person. After the post game team huddle he took a few of the younger linemen off to the side and was giving them some coaching up, words of advice and encouragement. He completely dominated that game, and he wasn't done when the final whistle blew. That told me more about him than just his play on the field. I hope Iowa gets him, I think he's got all the tools, mental and physical, to be really good.

His dad, Marcus, is the track coach here at Wartburg. His older brother signed as a lineman at Nebraska, so him attending the Nebraska game seems like a no-brainer.

He got a moderate number of touches as a running back at Waverly-She’ll Rock this year, averaging around 18 yards per carry. Waverly’s primary ball carrier was McCrae Hagarty who ran for around 1300 yards. Hagarty is a highly ranked 197 lb. wrestler that signed with Iowa State recently.
His brother is finally playing for the Bugeaters. Couldn't sniff the field for some previous bad defenses but now playing some snaps. Kid already graduated and must be pretty disciplined to stick with that shit show..

Have to agree with QC as I had watched him play as well last year and he wasn’t the most talented player on that team .. oh well I will gladly take him
Newsom has been to camps at all of the schools I believe that are in his final few (well maybe not Stanford). The coaches of these teams got the opportunity to test his athletic skills and see how he does in drills against other athletic players. College evaluation is interesting. Some guys jump out on film for dominating HS competition, but it has to be judged against the level of competition and the athletic frame of the prospect. If a 5-11 fully developed HS athlete is dominating HS competition, he's different than a athletic guy with a profile (good height and speed, with ability to put on more weight) but maybe lower HS production.

Reactions: squeezebox
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT