ADVERTISEMENT

Askren’s idea for next year.

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
Iowa appears to be a heavy favorite next year to win the title. Could they RS Lee & Desanto and put Cashman and Teasdale in and still win the title in 2021 and then also win in 2022 with
25-Lee
33-Desanto
41- Hensen
49- Murin
57- Renya
65- Kennedy
74- Brands
84- Assad
97- Warner
285- Cass?

Last edited:
Iowa appears to be a heavy favorite next year to win the title. Could they RS Lee & Desanto and put Cashman and Teasdale in and still win the title in 2020 and then also win in 2021with
25-Lee
33-Desanto
41- Hensen
49- Murin
57- Renya
65- Kennedy
74- Brands
84- Assad
97- Warner
285- Cass?

I vote for Lee and DeSanto getting to apply their redshirts to LAST year, so they both wrestle each of the next two years and Iowa wins national titles in both.

Iowa appears to be a heavy favorite next year to win the title. Could they RS Lee & Desanto and put Cashman and Teasdale in and still win the title in 2020 and then also win in 2021with
25-Lee
33-Desanto
41- Hensen
49- Murin
57- Renya
65- Kennedy
74- Brands
84- Assad
97- Warner
285- Cass?

We are not winning with Cashman and Teasdale in for Lee and Desanto IMO. If Teasdale has made a big jump from last year you could maybe get away with that one but Cashman is not scoring points. PSU has a lot of potential points they could gain from where they are ranked in the recent Flo pre-season ranking.

No deal. The right thing to do is give everyone who had a redshirt available an extra year of eligibility. I don’t know if there’s been discussions on the that but it’s the right thing to do and they need to get it done.

Iowa appears to be a heavy favorite next year to win the title. Could they RS Lee & Desanto and put Cashman and Teasdale in and still win the title in 2021 and then also win in 2022 with
25-Lee
33-Desanto
41- Hensen
49- Murin
57- Renya
65- Kennedy
74- Brands
84- Assad
97- Warner
285- Cass?

Why is there a question mark next to Cass? That would be his RS Jr year.

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
No. We are not that big of favorites next year and we still don't know of any transfer portal guys that may be changing rosters. We need to win a title in dominating fashion to gain the attention of future recruits. That's why not getting to finish this year sucks so bad I felt the more exposure this team got over this two year run would have been a huge recruiting edge once everyone saw how close this team is and what high character people they are. We need this season bad IMO.

Iowa isn't a heavy favorite. Only a fool looks at Flo's Preseason rankings and thinks that. Preseason rankings are not predictions. New faces in PSU's lineup are not being correctly accounted for at this time because the resume on paper isn't established yet. But the minute a Robbie Howard, Joe Lee, Starocci, Beard or Kirkleviet get a chance to wrestle a top 10 ranked guy and beat them they immediately get penciled into that spot and that guy slides behind them. That's a lot of point still unspoken for 5 guys. They aren't being ranked off talent. PSU has the talent to beat Iowa with Lee and Desanto in te lineup. So does Cornell and I would argue Michigan has a punchers chance too. Then likely a drop off to Ohio St.

Its going to be an extremly fun and tight team race. I cant remember anytime in the last 15 years that 4 t-5 teams really have an honest chance. Typically its been PSU and 3 teams in a race for 2nd. Its Iowa to lose but there is a lot at play.

Again rankings are not predictions. Nobody at FLO thinks Kirkleviet is going to finish 10th or whatever he is at.

Well the pedigree is there, clean living in the right room who knows?

Yeah. I agree there may be another level there. He is still pretty slick on his feet but how much fight in all positions is left in his tank? It will be interesting...good thing we have the luxury of not needing him in the lineup

Generally speaking if Ben Askren thinks it’s a good idea, it’s a bad idea.
Ben Askren's idea was to wrestle Lee and DeSanto unattached early in the year to see how the team stacks up and how the season is going to play out due to last year's ending and wrestle them if they need to win a title. Not that they should redshirt them no matter what

Reactions: el dub
Iowa isn't a heavy favorite. Only a fool looks at Flo's Preseason rankings and thinks that. Preseason rankings are not predictions. New faces in PSU's lineup are not being correctly accounted for at this time because the resume on paper isn't established yet. But the minute a Robbie Howard, Joe Lee, Starocci, Beard or Kirkleviet get a chance to wrestle a top 10 ranked guy and beat them they immediately get penciled into that spot and that guy slides behind them. That's a lot of point still unspoken for 5 guys. They aren't being ranked off talent. PSU has the talent to beat Iowa with Lee and Desanto in te lineup. So does Cornell and I would argue Michigan has a punchers chance too. Then likely a drop off to Ohio St.

Its going to be an extremly fun and tight team race. I cant remember anytime in the last 15 years that 4 t-5 teams really have an honest chance. Typically its been PSU and 3 teams in a race for 2nd. Its Iowa to lose but there is a lot at play.

Again rankings are not predictions. Nobody at FLO thinks Kirkleviet is going to finish 10th or whatever he is at.

You think penn state can beat Iowa next year?! Lol.
Whose getting them points at the tournament? Nick lee/brooks/Starcocci and RBY I could see them all in the finals but Things would have to go perfect. Spencer out scores Howard/berge/Verkleeran by himself. Marinelli out scores joe lee easily. I’m just not seeing what you’re seeing I guess. I think Michigan and Cornell both out score penn state at NCAA’s this year. Paris Micic amine and Massa is really solid. Cornell with Dean Vito yianni tucker.

Reactions: CurtisLoew40
Whose getting them points at the tournament? Nick lee/brooks/Starcocci and RBY I could see them all in the finals but Things would have to go perfect. Spencer out scores Howard/berge/Verkleeran by himself. Marinelli out scores joe lee easily. I’m just not seeing what you’re seeing I guess. I think Michigan and Cornell both out score penn state at NCAA’s this year. Paris Micic amine and Massa is really solid. Cornell with Dean Vito yianni tucker.
Tucker gone

Reactions: KennyPowers8
Yes. Penn state is going to be very good. My money is on Iowa but you forgot about beard and kerkvliet. Kerkvliet, if healthy is 100% going to score points and a lot of them at that. Beard looks about starocci good so include him in the discussion. Lee, brooks, rby and kerkvliet will put up big numbers. Add in the others mentioned and that’s a damn good team. It’s no gimme by any stretch. Howard will be an improvement if healthy and who knows who will transfer or step up to the plate with that team. I actually think they have a good shot at beating us in a dual. Tournament is different as they have some youngsters coming in but if they pan out like their p4p rankings would indicate, they will be right there. Cornell looks tough. It’s going to be a fun year if we get one.

Reactions: KennyPowers8
Michigan is going to be salty. PSU has a lot of ifs which historically, has worked out for them...HWY being one of them. I could see them picking up a few guys on the free agent market and being right in there.

Michigan is going to be salty. PSU has a lot of ifs which historically, has worked out for them...HWY being one of them. I could see them picking up a few guys on the free agent market and being right in there.

Yeah, I called Michigan years ago to contend in the future with ridicule. It’s nice to be justified by someone even if it’s only you.

They are out of scholarship money so no way do they pick up any national contenders on the free market:p:D:p

Yeah I don’t see Iowa as “heavy” favorites.

PSU’s main dropoff is going from Cenzo to Lee. But even Lee had a win over last year’s ACC Champ.

Starocci isn’t Mark Hall (yet at least), but he seems to have high AA potential out of the gate.

But Kerk/Beard/Howard is probably a net positive over Nevills/RasheedMeredith.

Just like last season, a lot has to go right for them, but they could win it even with Iowa’s expected lineup. Throw in Cornell, Michigan etc and Iowa winning would we a huge question mark IMO if even just Lee redshirts.

That said, I think a lot of guys across the board will redshirt so some of these other teams may not have “full strength” lineups either.

Reactions: cidhawkeye
Yes. Penn state is going to be very good. My money is on Iowa but you forgot about beard and kerkvliet. Kerkvliet, if healthy is 100% going to score points and a lot of them at that. Beard looks about starocci good so include him in the discussion. Lee, brooks, rby and kerkvliet will put up big numbers. Add in the others mentioned and that’s a damn good team. It’s no gimme by any stretch. Howard will be an improvement if healthy and who knows who will transfer or step up to the plate with that team. I actually think they have a good shot at beating us in a dual. Tournament is different as they have some youngsters coming in but if they pan out like their p4p rankings would indicate, they will be right there. Cornell looks tough. It’s going to be a fun year if we get one.
i didn’t necessarily forget about them just didn’t include them and yeah you’re rite they’re studs who will score some points at nationals. I think cass will score around the same, maybe not the same ceiling but easily top 4-5 this year. Warner has had his way with Beard in the past, Carl does make them better so who knows how it will go now but give me Warner. Howard being a true freshman and his best wrestling is freestyle he could have an up and down season. He could also finish top 6 ish because he is uber talented. But Spencer absolutely HAMMERS him.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Yeah I don’t see Iowa as “heavy” favorites.

PSU’s main dropoff is going from Cenzo to Lee. But even Lee had a win over last year’s ACC Champ.

Starocci isn’t Mark Hall (yet at least), but he seems to have high AA potential out of the gate.

But Kerk/Beard/Howard is probably a net positive over Nevills/RasheedMeredith.

Just like last season, a lot has to go right for them, but they could win it even with Iowa’s expected lineup. Throw in Cornell, Michigan etc and Iowa winning would we a huge question mark IMO if even just Lee redshirts.

That said, I think a lot of guys across the board will redshirt so some of these other teams may not have “full strength” lineups either.
If Iowa stays healthy, they will be tough to stay close to at the NCAA Tournament

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT