ADVERTISEMENT

Penn dual

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
Starting line up for Friday?

25-Ayala
33-Teske-could see Schriever, but I think it’s been established who the better wrestler is. To me it looked like Teske faded in the match. That could be because of the injury he had at Luther. Maybe he hasn’t been on the mat as much nursing that. It was odd seeing that cause he’s known for having a great tank.
41-Woods
49-VV-Does Rathjen get a chance here?
57-Franek-also looked like he faded a little in his match.
65-Caliendo
74-PK-Clearly whatever injury he has affect his gas tank. Again really odd seeing him fall off a cliff. He also is known for his great tank. I’m sure he is going to be working hard to get his shape back.
84-Arnold-Could be telling of the plan if he goes Friday. I’d also be interested to see what he weighs in at cause that also could be telling. Might see Griffith or McCain here.
97- Glaizer
285-Hill-Wonder if Kueter will be in the room more between Big ten Championships and the bowl game.

To me it looks like Iowa isn’t in the best shape yet and I don’t mind that. We always talk about how Brands runs these guys down before March. Maybe he’s waiting for a hard cycle between Columbia and Salute.

My guess is 149 Rathjen 174 Rhodes 184 Riggins. Teske is 1 tough sob and always wants to go . Maybe Jace goes who knows . Cullen should be available for Columbia

Reactions: T8KUDWN
One thing you mentioned, that I found concerning, is a number of our guys really gassed in the third period.

Btw, I have a friend who is a UPenn alumni and I may drive up there to watch the meet. Anyone else going to be there?

Reactions: el dub

25-Ayala
33-Teske-could see Schriever, but I think it’s been established who the better wrestler is. To me it looked like Teske faded in the match. That could be because of the injury he had at Luther. Maybe he hasn’t been on the mat as much nursing that. It was odd seeing that cause he’s known for having a great tank.
41-Woods
65-Caliendo
74-PK-Clearly whatever injury he has affect his gas tank. Again really odd seeing him fall off a cliff. He also is known for his great tank. I’m sure he is going to be working hard to get his shape back.
84-Arnold-Could be telling of the plan if he goes Friday. I’d also be interested to see what he weighs in at cause that also could be telling. Might see Griffith or McCain here.
97- Glaizer
285-Hill-Wonder if Kueter will be in the room more between Big ten Championships and the bowl game.

To me it looks like Iowa isn’t in the best shape yet and I don’t mind that. We always talk about how Brands runs these guys down before March. Maybe he’s waiting for a hard cycle between Columbia and Salute.
Gabe could be back down to 174 by end of year if my calculations are correct. And it doesn’t sound like he wants to compete at 184 in a response to Willie in another thread.

Reactions: cheaptilt42
One thing you mentioned, that I found concerning, is a number of our guys really gassed in the third period.

Btw, I have a friend who is a UPenn alumni and I may drive up there to watch the meet. Anyone else going to be there?
We will be there. Tickets are going fast and they have DOUBLED the cost of the local rooms in and near University City area. Go Hawks !!

I don’t think it’s that concerning early in the year. Although it is unusual, Iowa guys have tended to be in the best shape this part of the year. Perhaps a different training plan?

25-Ayala
41-Woods
65-Caliendo
97- Glaizer

Mickey Griffith is no longer with the program. Awesome kid, had a very good experience, and the coaches love him, but he has moved on. He’s living in DSM and has joined the WDM Valley staff.

25-Ayala
41-Woods
65-Caliendo
97- Glaizer

I'm sure Teske's fading had something to do with whatever he's nursing, although that could be a factor all year, depending on what it is.
PK allegedly (I'm not an insider, I can't know for certain, but trust what I've read on this) had a knee procedure a month or so ago and just got cleared to wrestle again. He'll be fine if there is a spot for him. Still not crazy about him being at 174.
The Hawkeyes have always had suspicious conditioning in December. They do a big push on conditioning during Christmas break. These things shouldn't be a problem in January, but injuries might if the last ten years set a precident.

Reactions: savage84
The Hawkeyes have always had suspicious conditioning in December. They do a big push on conditioning during Christmas break. These things shouldn't be a problem in January, but injuries might if the last ten years set a precident.

Hawks used to look great early on...everybody else looked like they were slogging in mud. Our issue was peaking early back then. I think they have tried a different approach in regards to this.

Hawks used to look great early on...everybody else looked like they were slogging in mud. Our issue was peaking early back then. I think they have tried a different approach in regards to this.
I'd like to know what years you're talking about. I've been watching them for 50 years, and during the Gable years they always looked sluggish in November, sometimes they even were still working into shape or form in January (look how many times they lost the National Duals when they were a big deal and in mid-January) but they always had it together in March, when it counted. That has not been the case so much under Brands, but they still hit conditioning harder over Christmas break. They just need to learn the March peaking thing, because every Brands team has underperformed in March (including 2010 and 2021). Maybe they've had some years when they beat their seeds, but some of those can be attributed to getting bad seeds because of their performance at B1Gs.

Maybe they looked great to you because we wrestle nobodies in Nov./early Dec. Except ISU (who has been a nobody for quite a few years) and we haven't exactly crushed them for a few years.

Last edited:
I think this makes sense.
Perhaps there is less live wrestling now and more drilling techniques, cardio and situational awareness wrestling.
The only way to get into wrestling shape is to wrestle. Better in March than now.

I'd like to know what years you're talking about. I've been watching them for 50 years, and during the Gable years they always looked sluggish in November, sometimes they even were still working into shape or form in January (look how many times they lost the National Duals when they were a big deal and in mid-January) but they always had it together in March, when it counted. That has not been the case so much under Brands, but they still hit conditioning harder over Christmas break. They just need to learn the March peaking thing, because every Brands team has underperformed in March (including 2010 and 2021). Maybe they've had some years when they beat their seeds, but some of those can be attributed to getting bad seeds because of their performance at B1Gs.

Maybe they looked great to you because we wrestle nobodies in Nov./early Dec. Except ISU (who has been a nobody for quite a few years) and we haven't exactly crushed them for a few years.
I find it hard to believe a Gable team looking sluggish.

I think this makes sense.
Perhaps there is less live wrestling now and more drilling techniques, cardio and situational awareness wrestling.
The only way to get into wrestling shape is to wrestle. Better in March than now.
The college wrestling season is so dang long and is such a grind. It starts before the HS season, ends after the HS season, and college guys maybe get half as many matches as a HS wrestler. Add in that the intensity of a college practice is more than what 99% go through while they're in HS, it's no wonder guys get so beat up. There's no sport like it, both the good and bad.

Reactions: el dub and sdvike
Riley was the wrestler. He was DQ for stalling
According to Randy Lewis, you're right, it was Riley.

The college wrestling season is so dang long and is such a grind. It starts before the HS season, ends after the HS season, and college guys maybe get half as many matches as a HS wrestler. Add in that the intensity of a college practice is more than what 99% go through while they're in HS, it's no wonder guys get so beat up. There's no sport like it, both the good and bad.
The comparison to the grind of a HS season vs college is incomplete for most of the best pfp wrestlers. Their competitive season is year round and is very intense seasonally in the various regional and national club tournaments.

Can confirm. ^^ I know his (Riley's) brother and he has told the story.
Yes, this happened, but it's not the only time. It happened at least once on the '90s. I don't know why. but I was thinking Bradley, but someone else mentioned Uker, and that kind of rang a bell. The youngest Uker maybe.

Yes, this happened, but it's not the only time. It happened at least once on the '90s. I don't know why. but I was thinking Bradley, but someone else mentioned Uker, and that kind of rang a bell. The youngest Uker maybe.
Definitely happened in the 70’s.

Bradley was on the team 2002-2007. Doubt it was him, I don't recall him stalling much.

Thinking back, the youngest Uker was after Gable's time. I do remember him doing it late in his career as coach. I just don't remember who he did it to.

Bradley WAS later, but 83% ;) of his matches had 5 or less total points scored, and he DID bleed a lot from the head.

I already have youtube.tv, plus several extra app subscriptions. I'm not sending in another $10.99 plus tax to ESPN+ to watch this. It's gets old.

Reactions: Pakman770
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT