ADVERTISEMENT

At-large bids released today and Brackets tomorrow

Realistically, PSU probably has five guys wrestling in the semis. 133/141/165/174/184

Realistically, Iowa probably has five guys wrestling in the semis. 125/149/165/174/Hwt

What separates the two teams, imo... is that PSU's only other point scorer will be 197. Iowa has 133/197 to offset. Anything from 141/184 for the Hawks blows it wide open. Three no shows kill PSU.

BTW... Iowa 157=PSU 149 I have both teams with four finalists.

Am I wrong? Of course, an upset or two and my formula sucks.

Preach! Verk is usually within a takedown of winning or at least tying and sending to OT. Could very easily bust a bracket. Or could go 0-2.
Probably this could be said about 90% of the wrestlers. But just don't put any money on it..He'll be lucky to get 5 points..:( KY has a better chance??

Realistically, PSU probably has five guys wrestling in the semis. 133/141/165/174/184

Realistically, Iowa probably has five guys wrestling in the semis. 125/149/165/174/Hwt

This is more or less what I've been saying for awhile. The challenge is that give or take a few points, this is all PSU has going for it. Iowa has good point potential from 4 or dare I say 5 other weights.

PSU still has the highest rated recruits and as many top end studs as anyone. They are the favorites until someone dethrones them. The margin for error is much smaller than many on here will admit. People forget that having 10 guys in doesn't mean much when the tournament gives so few points for guys who don't finish as high AA's.
They are the Champions until someone dethrones them - they are nowhere near the favorites.

PSU still has the highest rated recruits and as many top end studs as anyone. They are the favorites until someone dethrones them.
Having the highest rated recruits is irrelevant concerning whether they are a favorite as this year's NCAAs.

There is no reasonable metric that makes them the favorites this year.

Reactions: chuck285
Nebraska's performance at B1Gs was largely based on the 3-6 place finishes, as they only had one guy in the finals. At Nattys... several of those guys will max out as R12 kids. I can't see Lovett, Purrington, Robb, Labriola, and the Hwt AAing. To me... they have Red, Schultz, and Venz as legitimate AAs. White is borderline to me. That's maybe top 5, barely.

As someone else stated in another thread... PSU can potentially have 5 finalists... with Brooks top 4. That's 90+ points, minimum.

It's still Iowa's to lose.
White is a tough out for even the best 165 lbers, I can't imagine he won't be on the podium. Robb has impressed every time I have watched him, but he does have 8-9 losses on the year I think. Not sure what is up with Labriola, thought he would be better based on what I saw out of him last year. Those 3 could be AA's and I wouldn't be shocked.

But at their best they get a maximum of 2 Finalists (Venz is capable with a good run in what appears to be a wide open weight and Schultz could get there too), and that probably isn't enough if the Hawks show up at all.

I don't know how many 3rds they got at Bigs, but those 3rds could easily equate to the podium at NCAA's. Not too many weak weights in the Big Ten. But we know Okie State, NC State, Cornell, Va. Tech, etc., are going to knock out some Big Tenners along the way.

I'm extremely nervous about 165. Here's the selection committee -

Bob Burda, Associate Commissioner Big 12 Conference
Matthew Whisenant Deputy Director of Athletics, University of Wyoming
J. Andrew Noel, Jr.Athletic Director Cornell University
Rob Hjerling Head Wrestling Coach The Citadel
Matt Azevedo Head Wresting Coach Drexel University
Karen Langston Associate AD for External Relations California State University, Bakersfield​

I'm extremely nervous about 165. Here's the selection committee -

Bob Burda, Associate Commissioner Big 12 Conference
Matthew Whisenant Deputy Director of Athletics, University of Wyoming
J. Andrew Noel, Jr.Athletic Director Cornell University
Rob Hjerling Head Wrestling Coach The Citadel
Matt Azevedo Head Wresting Coach Drexel University
Karen Langston Associate AD for External Relations California State University, Bakersfield​

Nothing to worry about for us. It’s almost entirely an algorithm so there’s basically no way that it will be anything other than Marinelli at 1 and Cenzo either 2 or 3. The only thing I’m worried about is Wick falling to 8/9.

Nothing to worry about for us. It’s almost entirely an algorithm so there’s basically no way that it will be anything other than Marinelli at 1 and Cenzo either 2 or 3. The only thing I’m worried about is Wick falling to 8/9.
Wick is hurt and should not pose much of a challenge to Marinelli. If Wick even makes it out on the mat and can get through matches?
I am more concerned with guys like Wenzel. He beat some good kids last week in Conference. McFadden and Bullard could get the 8 as well. Wittlake showed he can keep it close with Alex and he will be hanging around that 4-8 range as well. Shields would be another possible quarter final match up and he is a quality guy.

Wick is hurt and should not pose much of a challenge to Marinelli. If Wick even makes it out on the mat and can get through matches?
I am more concerned with guys like Wenzel. He beat some good kids last week in Conference. McFadden and Bullard could get the 8 as well. Wittlake showed he can keep it close with Alex and he will be hanging around that 4-8 range as well. Shields would be another possible quarter final match up and he is a quality guy.

Has there been an update on Wick? The release said medical condition. That sounds like it’s not an athletic injury to me.

Last year I think they released a weight every 10-15 minutes or so until the bracket release show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT