ADVERTISEMENT

At least 2 killed, multiple injured in shooting at Juneteenth celebration at Texas park, officials say

Sadly a significant segment of these communities have a completely broken culture combined with zero value for human life. Best bet is just to steer clear of large gatherings that might attract these types of people bc violence is almost guaranteed.

Sadly a significant segment of these communities have a completely broken culture combined with zero value for human life. Best bet is just to steer clear of large gatherings that might attract these types of people bc violence is almost guaranteed.
Texas is full of gun zealots who have zero respect for human life, large gatherings or not.

so hilarious
Sad is a better word.

‘Sad’: Residents, council members speak out after Akron mayor cancels large weekend events​

AKRON, Ohio (WJW) – Akron residents and even some elected officials are unhappy after Mayor Shammas Malik made the difficult decision to cancel all events on city property this weekend. A move, he said, to prevent any potential violent acts.

The decision to cancel was primed by a letter signed by eight Akron City Council members expressing grave concern for Juneteenth celebrations.

“I can only imagine the frustration of the organizers,” Mayor Malik said. “But when I get a letter like what I received, I have to take that seriously.”

In total, 11 weekend events were canceled. The top reason being the mass shooting on June 2 where 28 people were shot or grazed and one man died from his injuries. No one has been arrested yet and the investigation continues.

The mayor and Akron Police Department said no credible threats were made against any event this weekend, but still the decision to cancel was made from an abundance of caution.

“Certainly, this is a tense moment for the city,” Malik said. “No one would deny that. But we have to make judgment calls and we all have a responsibility to exercise our judgment.”’

Parents at Joy Park in Akron told Fox 8 they were surprised to see so many events scrapped. One father in particular thinks it’s living in fear.

“I think it’s sad, especially this time of year with the kids being out of school,” Allen Aur said. “They need something to do. They need things that, you know, occupy their attention.”

Councilman-at-Large Eric Garrett Sr. also disagrees with the decision to cancel events and celebrations. In a press release Garrett said in part:

“Safety and security are paramount concerns, but decisions to cancel events must be balanced with accurate and credible information. The absence of a substantiated threat should not overshadow the importance of commemorating Juneteenth and promoting cultural understanding.”

Mayor Malik said the city of Akron will have its annual Juneteenth celebration on Wednesday, but it will be indoors with metal detectors for added levels of safety.

Malik said it’s important for residents to gather safely, but with the majority of council concerned about potential copycats or retaliatory shooting in an already traumatized community.

“We have events that are going to go on across this whole summer and we are absolutely going to work to make sure this is not the normal.”

Those eight Council members released an additional statement clarifying that its goal of the letter was not to ask for events to be canceled, but rather spotlight the need for more police staffing at public events with high levels of attendees.

The Akron Police Department said it felt confident in its plan to carry out these events heading into the weekend, adding that staffing levels would be adequate.

Mayor Malik also offered to make organizers “whole,” as for any potential financial losses due to the canceled events, but there was no direct answer of how that funding would be distributed or determined at the press conference.

When gangbangers converge pew pew will emerge!

R.6b24b79e1a931e85fd754dbb037b0408

Those eight Council members released an additional statement clarifying that its goal of the letter was not to ask for events to be canceled, but rather spotlight the need for more police staffing at public events with high levels of attendees.

More police staffing, huh?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Texas is full of gun zealots who have zero respect for human life, large gatherings or not.
"Gun zealots" good one. Let me know the next time there's a fight and mass shooting at a sporting clays event. Or a 3 Gun match. Or an ipsc event. Or a high school state trap competition.
Some of you just are so filled with hate you suspend all measure of common sense.

"Gun zealots" good one. Let me know the next time there's a fight and mass shooting at a sporting clays event. Or a 3 Gun match. Or an ipsc event. Or a high school state trap competition.
Some of you just are so filled with hate you suspend all measure of common sense.
You just said that everyone should steer clear of large gatherings that might attract “these types of people” (we all know what you really meant to say) because violence is almost guaranteed. Then turn around and accuse someone else of being filled with hate.

Might be time to look in the mirror.

Hilarious that they will have to stop having this celebration because black youth cannot stop shooting each other
Should people stop going to splash pads because middle aged white men like to take target practice on innocent families?

An 8-year-old boy was shot in the head and in critical condition Saturday night, Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard said during a news conference. The boy’s mother also was in critical condition after being wounded in the abdomen and leg, and his 4-year-old brother was in stable condition with a leg wound.

The other six victims, all 30 or older, were in stable condition, Bouchard said. They included a husband-and-wife couple and a 78-year-old man.

The shooting happened just after 5 p.m. at a city park featuring a recreation area with a nonslip surface where people can turn on sprays and fountains of water to play in. Bouchard said the attack appeared to be random, with the shooter driving up to the park, walking to the splash pad and firing as many as 28 times, stopping multiple times to reload.

Michael William Nash, 42, is alleged to have unleashed 28 rounds on families, including children. He was previously described by authorities as a white man who lived with his mother. He has no criminal history, according to Bouchard, and was believed to have had mental health challenges.

Should people stop going to splash pads because middle aged white men like to take target practice on innocent families?

An 8-year-old boy was shot in the head and in critical condition Saturday night, Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard said during a news conference. The boy’s mother also was in critical condition after being wounded in the abdomen and leg, and his 4-year-old brother was in stable condition with a leg wound.

The other six victims, all 30 or older, were in stable condition, Bouchard said. They included a husband-and-wife couple and a 78-year-old man.

The shooting happened just after 5 p.m. at a city park featuring a recreation area with a nonslip surface where people can turn on sprays and fountains of water to play in. Bouchard said the attack appeared to be random, with the shooter driving up to the park, walking to the splash pad and firing as many as 28 times, stopping multiple times to reload.

Michael William Nash, 42, is alleged to have unleashed 28 rounds on families, including children. He was previously described by authorities as a white man who lived with his mother. He has no criminal history, according to Bouchard, and was believed to have had mental health challenges.
So the article says he has known mental health issues. He goes and shoots people.

That is different than towns having celebrations and black youth keep having gang fights and shooting each other. Time after time.

You just said that everyone should steer clear of large gatherings that might attract “these types of people” (we all know what you really meant to say) because violence is almost guaranteed. Then turn around and accuse someone else of being filled with hate.

No hate at all. Its just really really sad.
Pretending this is a "gun zealot" issue is pure idiocy and distracts from the real problems.

Is it hate? Is it self preservation based on stats?

Sadly, there were posters here who hit the 🤣 emoji to this comment.

I’m really not sure what they find funny.

So the article says he has known mental health issues. He goes and shoots people.

That is different than towns having celebrations and black youth keep having gang fights and shooting each other. Time after time.
It says it is believed he had mental health issues. If you're a white male that kills people you probably have mental health issues, but if you are a black youth that kills people you must be fatherless or be influenced by black culture.

It says it is believed he had mental health issues. If you're a white male that kills people you probably have mental health issues, but if you are a black youth that kills people you must be fatherless or be influenced by black culture.
I seriously doubt all of these gang shootings are mental health related.

Do you?

BuT wHaT’s RaCiSt AbOuT dAtA!?!
Depends how it is used and interpreted.

If there is a disproportionate amount of gun violence affecting certain communities and racial demographics, wouldn’t you want to explore underlying causes of why that is? Or, would you prefer to plug your ears, shake your head, and parrot “racist” charges at those who present data you don’t like?

How about commercials that encourage certain racial demographics to see a doctor and get screened for various diseases and health conditions that disproportionately affect them? Is that racist too?

Let’s exercise a little common sense here. No one who is reasonably intelligent is suggesting that melanin is inextricably linked to certain behaviors and health issues. It’s about culture, ethnicity, and socioeconomic conditions that can and do affect people often of the same or similar skin complexion who tend to group together.

This one is different. It has nothing to do with a broken culture or lack of values. It's very clearly a lack of thoughts and prayers.

Hilarious that they will have to stop having this celebration because black youth cannot stop shooting each other
Not hilarious but very sad. And the fact that older Black men are really speaking out in many communities to the young men in a sincere and organized effort to make it stop seems only to be helping marginally.
Here in Jacksonville a group called Mad Dads is constantly working to stop the violence. It’s just sad.

Do you?
Some could be, just like some white shooters might just sadistic killers that don’t necessarily have mental health problems.

I just don't think we should paint groups of people with such a broad brush. In the end it doesn't matter to the victims, the result is the same.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Some could be, just like some white shooters might just sadistic killers that don’t necessarily have mental health problems.

I just don't think we should paint groups of people with such a broad brush. In the end it doesn't matter to the victims, the result is the same.
There are a lot of statistics that make that a broad brush stroke. That community is imploding

Do you?
I do.

There is a lot of trauma in the communities you are referencing. Even the worst cases of moral turpitude have some underlying trauma/mental health component to them.

That doesn’t absolve anyone of personal responsibility, but what you’re suggesting is inconsistent with logic and reasoning and borders on the fringes of racism.

Here’s an example of what I mean: When the media would report on the crack cocaine epidemic in urban areas back in the 1980s and 1990s, moral failings were usually highlighted as to the why behind all the addiction and associated crime. Fast forward to the opioid epidemic affecting more suburban and rural areas of the country, and the tenor of that media coverage is a lot different, drawing on stress and economic insecurities as the why behind all the addiction and ODs.

Those contrasting points of view bring into question the why behind the way those two epidemics were presented. I don’t think too many people are confused as to that particular why if they are being honest.

Get it?

Hollywood and the music industry play a role in this. It's glorified and then everyone is shocked when young minds gravitate towards it.

I do.

There is a lot of trauma in the communities you are referencing. Even the worst cases of moral turpitude have some underlying trauma/mental health component to them.

That doesn’t absolve anyone of personal responsibility, but what you’re suggesting is inconsistent with logic and reasoning and borders on the fringes of racism.

Here’s an example of what I mean: When the media would report on the crack cocaine epidemic in urban areas back in the 1980s and 1990s, moral failings were usually highlighted as to the why behind all the addiction and associated crime. Fast forward to the opioid epidemic affecting more suburban and rural areas of the country, and the tenor of that media coverage is a lot different, drawing on stress and economic insecurities as the why behind all the addiction and ODs.

Those contrasting points of view bring into question the why behind the way those two epidemics were presented. I don’t think too many people are confused as to that particular why if they are being honest.

Get it?
Well said. This is the point I've been trying to make in the last two threads about what posters consider the "black youth" problem.

@ihhawk

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT