Aurora Borealis 5/10 - 5/11

Summary

So to summarize what you want to see:

-KP-Index of 7+
-G-index of G4+
-Solar Wind Speed of 600km/s+
– Bt of 20nT+
– Bz of -15 or less

Yeah. That'll get you views here in iowa at or at similar latitudes. But for really great views.. having watched big events... I'm hoping for sustained Bz lower than -30, Bt at 40+, and sustained Kp of 9.

The show back in 04 that gave us incredible views with the thing right over our heads put out numbers like that.

I think this one has the potential to give us that.

Reactions: Ree4
Near earth satellites just impacted. Ideally this would have held off longer, but we shall see what's available at dark. (of course we may have more energy on top of this)

THE FIRST CME HAS ARRIVED: The first of six CMEs hurled toward Earth by giant sunspot AR3664 is minutes away form striking our planet's magnetic field. It has just passed the DSCOVR spacecraft and will soon close the gap to Earth. This could be a 'Cannibal CME' composed of two or three individual storm clouds--or simply the first of six. We will soon find out. CME impact alerts: SMS Text

Seems like a pretty historical event so far.
The amount of X class flares unleashed at earth within a short time period seems historic.

Weather or not that results in historic geomagnetic activity on earth remains to be seen.

Currently we're sitting at Bt of 50 and Bz of -45, which is about as strong as I've seen.

If that holds on till darkness in the US, most of the country is going to see this thing. Right now that's my big concern, that it can hang on long enough. (of course it might be refreshed by another shock wave)

The amount of X class flares unleashed at earth within a short time period seems historic.

Weather or not that results in historic geomagnetic activity on earth remains to be seen.

Currently we're sitting at Bt of 50 and Bz of -45, which is about as strong as I've seen.

If that holds on till darkness in the US, most of the country is going to see this thing. Right now that's my big concern, that it can hang on long enough. (of course it might be refreshed by another shock wave)

Realtime graphs

35 min delay from the satellites to when the wave hits Earth

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Here is what the severe storm in 04 looked like. 9 hours at kp 9

We have 7.5 hours till nightfall and currently sit at kp 8. Hopefully something similar can develop for us heading into the evening.

kp_3d_200411082345.gif

You're a freaking commercial pilot. Between your profession and heart and brain surgeons, 99.9% of the pssy is gone. We are competing for left over crumbs.
Married with 1.4 children. All I have left is beer and internet pron in a cold lonely hotel room 14 nights a month.

Also this thing is legitimately going to destroy our grid isn’t it? I bet China does something stupid at the same time.

• Sad
Reactions: torbee and GOHOX69
I've never seen them put out a media release like this. What's unprecedented is that there are at least four, maybe five major flares headed our way within a short period of time. This could be something that impacts satellites and power-grids. In principal, enough energy hits, we could be looking at quite a mess.

GNLgLM8XAAA8v0k
This guy is a great follow for his sun images and videos.

Reactions: Colonoscopy

The first of the anticipated coronal mass ejections has arrived at STEREO Ahead, a satellite slightly closer to the Sun than DSCOVR. The impact has been significant there with a maximum interplanetary magneic field Bt value of 41nT and a minimum Bz value of -33nT at the time of writing. If we see similar values at Earth (which we should) this is certainly going to cause a significant geomagnetic storm where severe G4 geomagnetic storm conditions are absolutely possible! Charge your camera batteries and keep an eye on the data on http://spaceweatherlive.com. This could become one of the strongest geomagnetic storms of this Solar Cycle!
Coronal mass ejections.

Beavis And Butthead Lol GIF by Paramount+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT