ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto Granted Release

who was Spencer pointing at? Serious question.

The Fabulous Freebirds, who were in attendance and in awe.

latest

I was in the "Lee needs to redshirt" camp arguing that even if he somehow managed a title, Iowa would only go from 5th to 3rd. However, when Spencer wanted to wrestle, I thought "why not?" and "I hope he doesn't finish 7th this year and then 1st, 1st, 1st as it'll be second guessing all the time".

What I didn't realize or underestimated was the positive impact on the whole program having Spencer finish first would have. One would assume that DeSanto took notice. And if it helps get Austin to Iowa City, then it adds to the list of unintended positive outcomes of pulling the 'shirt.

That's ok. One of our local geniuses told us that it was a mistake to wrestle Spencer this year AFTER he won an NCAA title.

I like all three of them actually: Cael, Tom, AND Terry.

I don't care for Tom Ryan. I don't dislike him and I don't degrade his coaching, I just don't care for him. Diffrent Strokes....
Everything said or done by Tom Ryan seems calculated and fake to me. It just always seems to me that he is creating and selling an image.

Was in a discussion about Desanto's last match on another forum and this just dawned on me after questioning why he chose bottom if he wasn't going to even try to get up.
Desanto may have not wanted to choose bottom and was told to do so by his coaches. That may explain the chirping after the 3rd period as well as after the match. Would kinda explain why he didn't move on bottom as at that point he was "triggered" so was into throwing a fit mode as opposed to wrestling mode.

Everything said or done by Tom Ryan seems calculated and fake to me. It just always seems to me that he is creating and selling an image.

I remember reading an article about Marinelli and his decision about Iowa, he made specific mention of when Brands and M* came to visit, how they pulled up in a big Dodge Ram and were wearing jeans, and then he said they didn't pull up in a Mercedes wearing suits and ties, and how he liked Brands/M* down to earth vibe. I've wondered if that was a dig at Ryan. I could totally see him driving a Benz and wearing a suit and tie on a recruiting visit.

Correct. He has hidden agendas. Posting still frame shots the day after Nationals to call out officials WHILE HE IS ON THE DAMN COMMITTEE, and then the fall back excuse that "the kids love Tom sticking up for them"...

Hogwash. He's trying to intimidate officials and doing it days after the fact, and using STILL SHOTS to "prove them" and we all know that still shots arent exacty the Go To for "proof" of anything. Hey, I have 7 different still shots of Jimmy Gulibon pinning Dean Heil, and I can't buy a cup of coffee with them. They're meaningless because still shots are meaningless.

I was in the "Lee needs to redshirt" camp arguing that even if he somehow managed a title, Iowa would only go from 5th to 3rd. However, when Spencer wanted to wrestle, I thought "why not?" and "I hope he doesn't finish 7th this year and then 1st, 1st, 1st as it'll be second guessing all the time".

What I didn't realize or underestimated was the positive impact on the whole program having Spencer finish first would have. One would assume that DeSanto took notice. And if it helps get Austin to Iowa City, then it adds to the list of unintended positive outcomes of pulling the 'shirt.

I was in the redshirt him camp, let’s wait until he beats somebody. Well he did and that is why I am not coaching D1 wrestling.

Like you, Vallholl, I also thought Lee ought to RS, since Iowa wasn't likely contending for the title. Was thinking it's better to let his knee heal completely and get stronger. But I'm quite happy the way it turned out, and the benefits from having Lee win it in the manner he did will hopefully pay some dividends in recruiting.

As awesome as DeSanto is, if he comes to Iowa, it will be horrible on this board being lectured to about autism and autism complex and posters fighting about autism.

Horrible? It's a message board. Who cares?

Was in a discussion about Desanto's last match on another forum and this just dawned on me after questioning why he chose bottom if he wasn't going to even try to get up.
Desanto may have not wanted to choose bottom and was told to do so by his coaches. That may explain the chirping after the 3rd period as well as after the match. Would kinda explain why he didn't move on bottom as at that point he was "triggered" so was into throwing a fit mode as opposed to wrestling mode.
Fact : He was told to go Neutral and he went against his coaches and chose down.

As awesome as DeSanto is, if he comes to Iowa, it will be horrible on this board being lectured to about autism and autism complex and posters fighting about autism.
Since you brought it up...

Talked to my sister last night and she told me how awesome her family felt this week when the entire road of 29 houses had their blue lights shining for autism awareness day. My nephew personally thanked each family for their thoughtfulness. He will have to be cared for his entire life.

I have a daughter on the other end of the spectrum with Aspbergers. She is likely similar to DeSanto in that she’s highly functioning and most people wouldn’t detect any issues unless they spent a great deal of time with her or observed her in certain situations.

Let’s face it, we’re all “on the spectrum” in one form or fashion. More grace and accountability would go a long ways.

I've heard similar though maybe not as good of a source. The Desantos and Lees have forged a friendship and we already know Spencer is a fan of Desanto's. Anyone "worried" about Lee needs to relax as these two kids have an actual relationship with each other.

Desanto earned all criticism for the Micic match but that doesn't mean he should be put into wrestling purgatory for life. Learn and move on, just like most all of us did at some point in our lives.

Every athlete could benefit from some sports psychology counseling. Desantos maybe a bit more than the rest.

Sounds like a youth wrestling problem..... lol

tumblr_ozj2xu361V1v1raxto1_500.gif

Reactions: Vallholl
Since you brought it up...

Talked to my sister last night and she told me how awesome her family felt this week when the entire road of 29 houses had their blue lights shining for autism awareness day. My nephew personally thanked each family for their thoughtfulness. He will have to be cared for his entire life.

I have a daughter on the other end of the spectrum with Aspbergers. She is likely similar to DeSanto in that she’s highly functioning and most people wouldn’t detect any issues unless they spent a great deal of time with her or observed her in certain situations.

Let’s face it, we’re all “on the spectrum” in one form or fashion. More grace and accountability would go a long ways.
Yep. Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT