ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto Granted Release

Seriously, the Cael hate on here is the most unbearable thing to read. It clearly comes from a place of complete and total envy.

It is his job to put together the best wrestling team that he can. He has done a pretty good job of doing that. He handles himself with nothing but class. Those of you that choose to hate him won't be changing your minds, but, the sour grapes are clear.

I actually love the Brands brothers. They are entertaining, emotional and wear their hear on their sleeves. I was impressed that when Stool gave an after the match shove, Tom was pointing at him to either go shake the opponents / coaches hand and apologize. Stoll did not listen, but, I was impressed that Brands tried to get him to do the right thing.

Cael and Brands are both phenomenal coaches, and the fact that they have completely opposite personalities shows how awesome this sport is. It takes all kinds and success doesn't come from one style.

As for DeSanto. I was extremely unhappy with actions at NCAA's, but, he is a young kid, who it seems does deal with some type of condition. I'm hoping he succeeds wherever he ends up. I don't see PSU as a viable option with the other wrestlers on their way. Iowa makes a lot of sense if he goes 133. If that happens, I'll wish him nothing but the best (obviously, except against PSU).

Personally, I'd rather the battle be between us and Iowa than us and tOSU. I have respect for Iowa wrestling. I don't dislike or hate Tom Ryan, but, he does some pretty weak whining, both on the mat and on Twitter.

Just my $.02

I will see your $.02 and raise you $.02

Cael has done a great job of assembling a dynasty, that will stick in the craw of Iowa fans because they want to be the dynasty again. The reasons that many will cite are the Penn Saints holier than thou, can do no wrong, live in Pleasantville approach to things. It is very prevalent in their approach, they chastise the Brands, Iowa wrestling and pretty much anyone who doesn't toe the line of their group think. Cael did the state of Iowa wrong on how he handled the coaching situation at ISU. I can't blame him for wanting to step into a dream opportunity, how he did it is another story and will be roundly denied by the Penn Saint fans, he did Andrew Long and Bubba wrong, once again a minuscule amount of the f** bunch will even acknowledge that either of those situations hand a hint of impropriety. As far as 'nothing but class'
"Furious Cael Sanderson Throws Cube, Towel And Chair And Is Ejected From World Team Trials" flowrestling.
Maybe that is 'nothing but class' in Pleasantville or for a Mongolian world team coach but most don't think so. I am sure it is brought up repeatedly bun the f** bunch since they are quick to point out anything the Brands do.

So that is my snap shot, my $0.02 so to speak, part jealousy, part what he did to ISU and a large part the hypocrisy and approach of the Penn Saint fans.

Back to DeSanto, how much scholly money is left? I would assume Cass is getting most of Brandon's money. How much can we really throw at an out of the blue opportunity? Just hoping there is enough left to get him!

how would anyone on this board know the answer to this?
I was hoping for a good guess from one of the "insiders". Don't know much about the recruiting process and how much if any money the staff holds back for opportunities like this. I guess what I'm asking is in any given season is the whole 9.9 usually used up by now.

Reactions: Scrambeez
I have read insults of Desanto and calling him autistic- . In this video interview he doesn't appear to have issues. Maybe the stress of NCAA tournament just got to an 18 yo. Maybe he wanted to tell Micic I can kick your a$$ even if you beat me in wrestling. I don't think he really wanted to hurt him -- or he would have. Stupid behavior regardless of intent but not out of the realm of a tired emotional 18yo. Decide for yourself. enjoy. :)

Last edited:
I don't care if he's a violent schizophrenic, I'll take him. I like anyone that battles hard headed and especially one that went after Spencer. It's a done deal if he's going 133, it only makes sense. Spencer and AD are meant to to be back to back bullies.

I will see your $.02 and raise you $.02

Cael has done a great job of assembling a dynasty, that will stick in the craw of Iowa fans because they want to be the dynasty again. The reasons that many will cite are the Penn Saints holier than thou, can do no wrong, live in Pleasantville approach to things. It is very prevalent in their approach, they chastise the Brands, Iowa wrestling and pretty much anyone who doesn't toe the line of their group think. Cael did the state of Iowa wrong on how he handled the coaching situation at ISU. I can't blame him for wanting to step into a dream opportunity, how he did it is another story and will be roundly denied by the Penn Saint fans, he did Andrew Long and Bubba wrong, once again a minuscule amount of the f** bunch will even acknowledge that either of those situations hand a hint of impropriety. As far as 'nothing but class'
"Furious Cael Sanderson Throws Cube, Towel And Chair And Is Ejected From World Team Trials" flowrestling.
Maybe that is 'nothing but class' in Pleasantville or for a Mongolian world team coach but most don't think so. I am sure it is brought up repeatedly bun the f** bunch since they are quick to point out anything the Brands do.

So that is my snap shot, my $0.02 so to speak, part jealousy, part what he did to ISU and a large part the hypocrisy and approach of the Penn Saint fans.
Did anyone ever figure out who shot Cox at the end of that match?

How do we think Lee would feel about DeSanto in the room at 33? Good? Bad? Doesnt care?
He doesn’t care. He’s a fantastic role model, a leader and has many Hawk wrestling excited about the future.
However....,I think the question is, how does DeSanto feel?
On the mat, my belief is Lee wants to square things up with him, in a big way.
In this sport you can never make a loss go away. I’d like invite DeSanto to become a Hawk and show Spencer it was real!

Spencer is a major supporter of getting him to IC.
A case could be made that Iowa's room made the guy you beat in HS into a National Champion. A guy who was in your corner for an all star match after you beat him...Then, if compelled, one could name drop Gilman, Clark, McD, Dardaneses, Novachkov and possibly a Dennis. And if you needed a closing name: "Tarpley"

I would also think it would be good for Spencer to have him in the room.

Last edited:
A case could be made that Iowa's room made the guy you beat in HS into a National Champion. A guy who was in your corner for an all star match after you beat him...Then, if compelled, one could name drop Gilman, Clark, McD, Dardaneses, Novachkov and possibly a Dennis. And if you needed a closing name: "Tarpley"

I would also think it would be good for Spencer to have him in the room.

SSSHHH---You might scare him away with Tarpley.

Why wouldn't Lee want Desanto in the room? The kid seems to have one of the best gas tanks in the nation, I'd bet Lee would love to have him in the room for that fact alone. A top level kid like Lee wants a tougher room as well and this would add another dimension. Not like Desanto is is dropping to 125 or that Lee would be worried about that anyway. I honestly bet they would be great friends and I bet Lee would be a great influence on AD.
I'm guessing if AD can go 133, he'll be a Hawkeye.

Why wouldn't Lee want Desanto in the room? The kid seems to have one of the best gas tanks in the nation, I'd bet Lee would love to have him in the room for that fact alone. A top level kid like Lee wants a tougher room as well and this would add another dimension. Not like Desanto is is dropping to 125 or that Lee would be worried about that anyway. I honestly bet they would be great friends and I bet Lee would be a great influence on AD.
I'm guessing if AD can go 133, he'll be a Hawkeye.
I want DeSanto (IA) to wrestle Teasdale (PSU) so badly now.

Yeah, how is that an insult? He has a clinically diagnosed disorder. The insults are what everyone has called him for his behavior......................

I think I did not make or you missed my point—that behavior is how autistic people behave under stress..that’s why it is an insult to him if he truly is

I’m pretty sure it’s documented he is autistic...

There is no blood test. Every psychological case is just an opinion. It is not a concrete diagnosis.

There is no blood test for autism, but there are tests to diagnose autism; thus you can have a documented diagnosis for autism. Not saying that DeSanto has that diagnosis and not saying that all cases of autism have a definite diagnosis.

There is no blood test for autism, but there are tests to diagnose autism; thus you can have a documented diagnosis for autism. Not saying that DeSanto has that diagnosis and not saying that all cases of autism have a definite diagnosis.
To add a bit, there is also a spectrum of diagnosis.....so not everyone has the same symptoms or the same “severity” for lack of a probably more appropriate term.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Cael's been on the sh*t-list here in Iowa since he dumped all over ISU and Bobby Douglas - this was years before he invented wrestling in Happy Valley. Also, the Andrew Long incident didn't do much for his reputation here. So, it's not just envy.

Fair enough. I made the mistake that others often make of painting with a broad brush with my post. Not all Iowa posters post from a point of hate/envy for all things PSU/Cael. I apologize for the way that came across. I wouldn't keep coming to this board if it didn't contain some high quality posters and wrestling information.

For those saying, "Go back to your board", I do read and post there as well, but, I also find this board informative and entertaining. That should be taken as a compliment.

I certainly can't deny that the chair throwing incident was out of line. Bringing back Andrew Long did not go over well. I'm not sure I can hate him for giving him another chance, but, sadly, it ended in the absolute worse of circumstances, which was the risk Cael was willing to take. As for the Bubba issues and Bobby Douglas/handling of leaving ISU, I don't know enough to make a judgement.

I do think the big problem, which is one that I made is painting everyone with the same broad strokes. Those are that Iowa fans are jealous of Cael and PSU's success, which leads them to be hypocritical at times and PSU fans all started watching wrestling when Cael came and are annoying winners and hypocritical at times.

I know there are a lot of Iowa fans who respect what PSU is doing. I also know there are a lot of PSU fans that have been wrestling fans for a long, long time, well before Cael. They have a ton of respect for the Iowa wrestling program and TnT. It's just that their voices get drowned out.

My dad started taking me to PSU matches when I was 5 (I'm 43 now). I remember the John Fritz and Rich Lorenzo years. They were both incredibly nice guys. My dad was a teacher for 40 years at Mount Union, so, I was a big fan of Troy Sunderland as well. However, I can't deny there is a large group of football/PSU everything fans who definitely did join the bandwagon when Cael came and had success. There is no denying that.

Fair enough. I made the mistake that others often make of painting with a broad brush with my post. Not all Iowa posters post from a point of hate/envy for all things PSU/Cael. I apologize for the way that came across. I wouldn't keep coming to this board if it didn't contain some high quality posters and wrestling information.

For those saying, "Go back to your board", I do read and post there as well, but, I also find this board informative and entertaining. That should be taken as a compliment.

I certainly can't deny that the chair throwing incident was out of line. Bringing back Andrew Long did not go over well. I'm not sure I can hate him for giving him another chance, but, sadly, it ended in the absolute worse of circumstances, which was the risk Cael was willing to take. As for the Bubba issues and Bobby Douglas/handling of leaving ISU, I don't know enough to make a judgement.

I do think the big problem, which is one that I made is painting everyone with the same broad strokes. Those are that Iowa fans are jealous of Cael and PSU's success, which leads them to be hypocritical at times and PSU fans all started watching wrestling when Cael came and are annoying winners and hypocritical at times.

I know there are a lot of Iowa fans who respect what PSU is doing. I also know there are a lot of PSU fans that have been wrestling fans for a long, long time, well before Cael. They have a ton of respect for the Iowa wrestling program and TnT. It's just that their voices get drowned out.

My dad started taking me to PSU matches when I was 5 (I'm 43 now). I remember the John Fritz and Rich Lorenzo years. They were both incredibly nice guys. My dad was a teacher for 40 years at Mount Union, so, I was a big fan of Troy Sunderland as well. However, I can't deny there is a large group of football/PSU everything fans who definitely did join the bandwagon when Cael came and had success. There is no denying that.
I think if you find, you want to talk wrestling, you can talk wrestling here being any kind of fan. Iowa fans love wrestling fans, no matter where they come from. If you want to come here and be a dbag, like some do, you'll be treated that way as well. Cael is not well liked, it will never change here, for reason listed above.

Cael is a great coach and a lot of the stuff here is envy and maybe a sense of entitlement on the part of our fans...to include me sometimes.

However, PSU fans (not all), think Cael remade the wheel. It’s not enough to win titles...fans have to make him into some mysterious guru type. Many in Iowa know this not to be true. Given the same state, taking over a team he helped put together, Cael did not win a title at ISU and lost to Iowa repeatedly.

Whether football or wrestling, it seems PSU fans tend to think their “culture” is better than everybody elses. It was true with JoePa as it is with Cael.All of this while constantly putting other teams down and berating other coaches to include ours. So spare us the lectures bubba...it’s a fan site with a large following...you are going to get the whole spectrum. Either that or go over to BWI and clean off your own doorstep. You are welcome here...just don’t be a turd and we should get along famously.

In fairness, bringing Long to PSU was Cael giving Long like his 4th or 5th chance, all in the name of winning. Iowans have seen Cael's "ethics" for many, many years and this is the main reason he is disliked. I appreciate your level head, and hope you post more often.

Funny story--to your point about "PSU fans all started watching wrestling when Cael came", If memory serves, there was a really vocal PSU fan (can't remember who now) that came on the board during David Taylor's freshman year crowing about what a "genius move" it was for him to "purposely let guys up after taking them down just to build a lead." And Wondered "has that ever been done before?" Everyone got a good laugh out of that one.

In fairness, bringing Long to PSU was Cael giving Long like his 4th or 5th chance, all in the name of winning. Iowans have seen Cael's "ethics" for many, many years and this is the main reason he is disliked. I appreciate your level head, and hope you post more often.

Funny story--to your point about "PSU fans all started watching wrestling when Cael came", If memory serves, there was a really vocal PSU fan (can't remember who now) that came on the board during David Taylor's freshman year crowing about what a "genius move" it was for him to "purposely let guys up after taking them down just to build a lead." And Wondered "has that ever been done before?" Everyone got a good laugh out of that one.

I just busted up laughing at the last couple sentences......Yes, Nitty come lately

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT