ADVERTISEMENT

Australia Votes Conservative In Stunning Results

Thanks for this reply. I appreciate your take on term limits. I’m opposed to them. I think the people should be trusted to vote for or against whom they like without artificial limit imposed by the government.

The electoral college does more than just protect a minority voice, it protects minority rule. I’m against that which is why I’m also against the filibuster.

We are a democratic republic. A republic alone just protects the powerful. If you value the will of the people as you indicated you did in your point about the EU, you need to extol the essential democratic aspects of our nation
As I pointed out, without the chance of a swing back and forth of that power, then I would essentially be without a voice in who was elected president. Hillary was a presidential candidate of the big cities, and the people in the rural areas knew that a pig with lipstick is still a pig. As I said, if we were to ever lose some of the protections that institutions like the electoral college provides, then I could no longer support the institution of the USA government, and I would advocate leaving the Union.

Thanks for this reply. I appreciate your take on term limits. I’m opposed to them. I think the people should be trusted to vote for or against whom they like without artificial limit imposed by the government.

The electoral college does more than just protect a minority voice, it protects minority rule. I’m against that which is why I’m also against the filibuster.

We are a democratic republic. A republic alone just protects the powerful. If you value the will of the people as you indicated you did in your point about the EU, you need to extol the essential democratic aspects of our nation
Frankly, I would like to see a 10 year term, with the right for the people to call a vote of confidence with a supermajority chinning bar for recall. No term limits. It allows businesses to tailor investment with more certainty, an makes it tougher for China and Russia to **** with us.

There are a lot of generalities posted about the conservatives in Australia really being like US liberals, and so on.

I did a little research and that's not quite the way they portray themselves.

https://www.conservatives.org.au/our_vision

The Liberal Party of Australia has most often been representative of the conservative movement. 'Liberal' has a different meaning though.

https://www.liberal.org.au/

If you use health care as the sole or major judgement of what we call liberal, you will be disappointed. One policy isn't an indicator of the rest of their policies.

Did you see anything about gun rights in your research?

As I pointed out, without the chance of a swing back and forth of that power, then I would essentially be without a voice in who was elected president. Hillary was a presidential candidate of the big cities, and the people in the rural areas knew that a pig with lipstick is still a pig. As I said, if we were to ever lose some of the protections that institutions like the electoral college provides, then I could no longer support the institution of the USA government, and I would advocate leaving the Union.

I think you misunderstand what he's proposing with respect to presidential elections. You would still have a voice.

Your voice would count the same as anyone else, regardless of what state you live in or whether it's a small town or a large city.

I find that standard unreasonable and uninteresting as your feelings on leaving the union are not important in the least. Our union is in-dissolvable, not a matter up to the whims of whatever generation gets its dander up. You personally are free to exit the nation at anytime, but the union is forever. You will need new metrics to go with your new sources.

Frankly, I would like to see a 10 year term, with the right for the people to call a vote of confidence with a supermajority chinning bar for recall. No term limits. It allows businesses to tailor investment with more certainty, an makes it tougher for China and Russia to **** with us.
How would that work? At any time in the ten years the people just spontaneously decide to hold a confidence vote? What mechanism would enable such an act? Would congress first have to call for it such that anytime the opposition party got in control we would hold an election?

I mean Trump would have failed a confidence vote one the day he was elected. How can you advocate for people power with one hand while telling us you would leave the union if it was actually implemented?

I think you misunderstand what he's proposing with respect to presidential elections. You would still have a voice.

Your voice would count the same as anyone else, regardless of what state you live in or whether it's a small town or a large city.
OH, I understand it!

How would that work? At any time in the ten years the people just spontaneously decide to hold a confidence vote? What mechanism would enable such an act? Would congress first have to call for it such that anytime the opposition party got in control we would hold an election?

I mean Trump would have failed a confidence vote one the day he was elected. How can you advocate for people power with one hand while telling us you would leave the union if it was actually implemented?

I find that standard unreasonable and uninteresting as your feelings on leaving the union are not important in the least. Our union is in-dissolvable, not a matter up to the whims of whatever generation gets its dander up. You personally are free to exit the nation at anytime, but the union is forever. You will need new metrics to go with your new sources.
Not true, I am endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" and could alter or abolish government "destructive" of those rights.

Then why did you type that you wouldn't have a voice?
Because, the politicians can pander to the needs of a very few large cities on the coasts, and screw over the flyover states without repercussion. In fact, they can buy the votes with our money, our efforts to create wealth. We will be ignored. It becomes taxation without representation. Look how pissed people in downstate Illinois get at Chicago. They get screwed over by groupthink all the time. Do you think that a $15 minimum wage is good for that entire State? Hell no, it is going to cost them one hell of a lot of jobs.

Your statement is ridiculous. You have to look at it in the context of the time it was written. The divine right of kings was still the dominant theory of how man should be ruled (It was written in 1513). So he was playing to the Catholic Church. Additionally, many scholars do not believe that he was writing with the lords in mind, but rather the common man, trying to garner their support behind an emerging power that could unite all of the German City States.

So, does that mean his horse in 1513 would be equivalent to a jet today?

I do not think you understand the purpose of the electoral college.

Because, the politicians can pander to the needs of a very few large cities on the coasts, and screw over the flyover states without repercussion. In fact, they can buy the votes with our money, our efforts to create wealth. We will be ignored. It becomes taxation without representation. Look how pissed people in downstate Illinois get at Chicago. They get screwed over by groupthink all the time. Do you think that a $15 minimum wage is good for that entire State? Hell no, it is going to cost them one hell of a lot of jobs.
This shows a real lack of understanding. The EC doesn’t cover “politicians” who could sell us out. It only covers one office that the EC has made beholden to a minority of voters in just a few states. You are fighting to preserve the very thing that robs you of your voice.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
The declaration of Independence says otherwise. So does the universal rights of man.
Neither of which governs America. Just try it. Go rebel and see if the authorities protect that act as your right or lock you up. In America you have the right to seek reform through peaceful means. The rest is propaganda.

This discussion was about the president. I don't think a presidential candidate would have much success just pandering to a few cities. When those cities only "control" a very small fraction of the House and Senate.

I suspect presidential elections would still be about national issues as opposed to municipal issues that you seem to envision.

You would still have a voice and it would count the same as every other citizen.

Although it's off topic, yes, I'm sure that people in downstate Illinois feel screwed over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT