ADVERTISEMENT

Store-bought pizza dough

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
For those in the homemade pizza game, several of you have mentioned that pre-made store-bought dough is a time saver with almost as good as, or better, results than trying your hand at making your own dough. Any recommendations on brands and where to buy them? Are they in the chilled section or frozen section?

We get ours at Trader Joe's, frozen section and it's legit. My Italian buddy used it all the time and swore by it. Not sure if you're a pizza on the grill guy, but it is awesome there too.

Reactions: Tenacious E
For those in the homemade pizza game, several of you have mentioned that pre-made store-bought dough is a time saver with almost as good as, or better, results than trying your hand at making your own dough. Any recommendations on brands and where to buy them? Are they in the chilled section or frozen section?
Ask a local pizzarrhea you enjoy if they would sell you some dough.

Reactions: Aardvark86
We get ours at Trader Joe's, frozen section and it's legit. My Italian buddy used it all the time and swore by it. Not sure if you're a pizza on the grill guy, but it is awesome there too.
This article has it 3rd, behind whole foods, and whatever you can get from a local pizza joint, if they will sell you dough.

This one came up with the same two top contenders (outside of local pizza joints).

Reactions: jasonrann
We have several great pizza places in town that will sell you dough balls from their stock.

Highly recommend if you can find in your area and don’t want to make your own.

I posted this in the outdoor pizza thread. The Urban Slicer Pizza Dough for wood-fired ovens is really good. I haven't tried their standard crust, but I'd recommend giving it a shot. This is not a pre-made dough, but a mix; you do need to give it time to rise.

We have several great pizza places in town that will sell you dough balls from their stock.

Highly recommend if you can find in your area and don’t want to make your own.
Not applicable to you but for those in the DSM area, it looks like Gateway market and the tavern sell dough. I wonder if Dough Company does too...

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
resize
I’ve used this and have seen it in many grocery stores. It’s good stuff

resize
I’ve used this and have seen it in many grocery stores. It’s good stuff
I was perusing Gateway Market's page and they charge almost $7 for the dough. I am unsure if that is for only one pizza or more. I am willing to pay for quality but that surprised me.

This article has it 3rd, behind whole foods, and whatever you can get from a local pizza joint, if they will sell you dough.

This one came up with the same two top contenders (outside of local pizza joints).
Not bad. My Italian buddy doesn't fugg around when it comes to pizza.

High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

In the QC my buddy who has a wood fire oven in his yard once called the Mama Bosso location in Rock Island and they gave him a bunch of doughs. They were really good out of the oven. CSB

My only issue with store bought dough is that it commonly has sugar. As stated in the other thread I do high temp pizza cooks so if the dough has sugar it burns. I sometimes buy my dough from a local restaurant that does wood fired pizzas.

I was perusing Gateway Market's page and they charge almost $7 for the dough. I am unsure if that is for only one pizza or more. I am willing to pay for quality but that surprised me.

That’s high. We have festival foods around me and they’re typically about 4 bucks

I just make my own, the jiffy brand is decent for a quick pie

on the weekend when I have more time I make it from scratch, only takes about 2 hours start to finish

This recipe from Roberta's in Brooklyn is pretty damn good and simple.

INGREDIENTS​

Yield:Two 12-inch pizzas
  • 153grams 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
  • 153grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
  • 8grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
  • 2grams active dry yeast (¾ teaspoon)
  • 4grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)
  1. Step 1
    In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
  2. Step 2
    In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Step 3
    Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
  4. Step 4
    To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT