ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones Medically Retired on June 7, 2024. Plus Other Updates on Her & Her Family

It’s just a game—we ALL would do good to remember that—but both coaches in this situation exemplify what you’d like to see guiding our future. Nothing in for him other that to do the kind thing and when nobody would’ve heard about it other than Lisa sharing it.

Story from today.

0D75784A-E3D9-490C-8594-1F0C45D010AD.jpeg

It’s just a game—we ALL would do good to remember that—but both coaches in this situation exemplify what you’d like to see guiding our future. Nothing in for him other that to do the kind thing and when nobody would’ve heard about it other than Lisa sharing it.
Exactly right. Which is why it pains me when OUR fans post crap about Kirk only being in it for the $$$ and to bleed Iowa, when he's done countless things like this without notice. Things that have been revealed later by other parties, and not by him.

A very sad story, and a wonderful one about how people come to the rescue when a person or family is in need.

Wouldn't it be great if we treated each other like this without someone have to get hit with a car?
Those people are out there. You just rarely hear about their gestures because they aren't doing it for adulation, and its not the doom and gloom that the media likes to publish.....

As you will read, Ava has one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. And she's very determined to play again.

May 14, 2023

Nickerson star Ava Jones graduates, looks forward to future at Iowa

D2MJBEV7LRFRXAYRDYY2JWXNIE.jpeg

High school seniors across Kansas graduate Saturday and among them is Nickerson basketball star Ava Jones.(Matt Henderson)

NICKERSON, Kan. (KWCH) - High school seniors across Kansas graduate Saturday and among them is Nickerson basketball star Ava Jones.

Jones graduated with her classmates in the 2023 class at Nickerson High School. Jones said she will forever be grateful for her experience as a Panther.

“I’m a state champion in the high jump and I went to state twice in basketball. This was a great school for me to go to,” said Jones.

Last summer, authorities in Louisville, Kentucky said she and her family were struck by an impaired driver while the family was walking on the sidewalk. Jones’ father, Trey, was tragically killed in the crash.

Since the crash, Ava has been on a road to recovery. She’s had multiple surgeries and was able to get back onto the basketball court one last time in November. Ava graduated as valedictorian and said she gives credit to her support system.

“The staff of Nickerson has been amazing and they’ve helped me get to where I am now,” said Jones.

Ava said the recovery process has been going well. She has one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. Ava signed her national letter of intent to play basketball for the Iowa Hawkeyes just months after the crash.

Her mother, Amy Jones, said she’s very proud of her daughter.

“She has just really persevered and she’s determined to get better. She doesn’t really let those surgeries stand in her way,” said Amy Jones.

The Iowa commit said she’s ready for her next step as a college basketball player. She was able to go to the NCAA Women’s Final Four last month and watched as her team finished second in the National Championship.

Jones said watching that in person is pushing her to work even harder.

“Just changed my mind completely. I want to be there. I want to be on the court. It’s something I want to be apart of and I want to be there to play,” said Jones.

292161013_10101966941765503_8631037132045422997_n.jpg

Last edited:
As you will read, Ava has one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. And she's very determined to play again.

May 14, 2023

Nickerson star Ava Jones graduates, looks forward to future at Iowa

D2MJBEV7LRFRXAYRDYY2JWXNIE.jpeg

High school seniors across Kansas graduate Saturday and among them is Nickerson basketball star Ava Jones.(Matt Henderson)

NICKERSON, Kan. (KWCH) - High school seniors across Kansas graduate Saturday and among them is Nickerson basketball star Ava Jones.

Jones graduated with her classmates in the 2023 class at Nickerson High School. Jones said she will forever be grateful for her experience as a Panther.

“I’m a state champion in the high jump and I went to state twice in basketball. This was a great school for me to go to,” said Jones.

Last summer, authorities in Louisville, Kentucky said she and her family were struck by an impaired driver while the family was walking on the sidewalk. Jones’ father, Trey, was tragically killed in the crash.

Since the crash, Ava has been on a road to recovery. She’s had multiple surgeries and was able to get back onto the basketball court one last time in November. Ava graduated as valedictorian and said she gives credit to her support system.

“The staff of Nickerson has been amazing and they’ve helped me get to where I am now,” said Jones.

Ava said the recovery process has been going well. She has one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. Ava signed her national letter of intent to play basketball for the Iowa Hawkeyes just months after the crash.

Her mother, Amy Jones, said she’s very proud of her daughter.

“She has just really persevered and she’s determined to get better. She doesn’t really let those surgeries stand in her way,” said Amy Jones.

The Iowa commit said she’s ready for her next step as a college basketball player. She was able to go to the NCAA Women’s Final Four last month and watched as her team finished second in the National Championship.

Jones said watching that in person is pushing her to work even harder.

“Just changed my mind completely. I want to be there. I want to be on the court. It’s something I want to be apart of and I want to be there to play,” said Jones.

292161013_10101966941765503_8631037132045422997_n.jpg
Thanks for posting these, Fran. It’s great to see the progress and her being able to experience the “normal” moments in life for a kid.
If she’s able to get on the floor at some point, I can’t wait to hear the cheer that goes up when she hits her first bucket. That will be both deafening and defying.

I just hope she didn't suffer any permanent brain injury.

Also, after seeing the leg injuries she and her mom suffered, it's a miracle both are able to walk.

Incredibly tough family, that's for sure.
Graduated Valedictorian. I would say there is probably not a lot of brain injury.

Graduated Valedictorian. I would say there is probably not a lot of brain injury.
If you read the article it says she'd completed a lot of her major course work prior to this year. Also that she takes basically a half schedule, partly due to her ongoing rehab, but probably the strain of everything she's endured. It also says she needs help from a friend taking notes. That may be issues with hand coordination or cognative. She
is still dealing with some speech issues as well, so its certainly possible she may still have issues beyond the physical. None the less, she's a brave young lady, and it would be amazing to see her one day in a Hawk uniform. All the best to Ava and to Amy.....

If you read the article it says she'd completed a lot of her major course work prior to this year. Also that she takes basically a half schedule, partly due to her ongoing rehab, but probably the strain of everything she's endured. It also says she needs help from a friend taking notes. That may be issues with hand coordination or cognative. She
is still dealing with some speech issues as well, so its certainly possible she may still have issues beyond the physical. None the less, she's a brave young lady, and it would be amazing to see her one day in a Hawk uniform. All the best to Ava and to Amy.....

You nailed it regarding her brain injury.

Regarding having her friend take notes, do you remember where her hand shook and she said she could not control it? I wonder if that is still an issue.

She has the will and she is sure finding her way.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Keep praying.

Wow. Really athletic family. Ava was a state champ in the high jump also I believe....

Yep. Just 2 short years ago, on May 28, 2021, she became a state champion in the high jump

An Aug 19, 2022 story from the Topeka, Kansas Capital-Journal is linked at the end of this post.

Some excerpts:

Ava is a multi-sport athlete at Nickerson HS. During her sophomore year, Ava Jones won the 4A girls high jump. She also starred on the Nickerson volleyball team as one of the team's leaders in kills. This past year, Jones qualified for four events at the state track meet, placing in the top seven in three events and placing in the top three in two events.

In this picture, Ava Jones hugs her father after winning the 4A girls high jump at the Kansas state high school track and field championships, May 28, 2021.

e5a1542c-a438-4409-b722-889de7a57800-B53F8810.JPG

The FULL Story:

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
Yep. Just 2 short years ago, on May 28, 2021, she became a state champion in the high jump

An Aug 19, 2022 story from the Topeka, Kansas Capital-Journal is linked at the end of this post.

Some excerpts:

Ava is a multi-sport athlete at Nickerson HS. During her sophomore year, Ava Jones won the 4A girls high jump. She also starred on the Nickerson volleyball team as one of the team's leaders in kills. This past year, Jones qualified for four events at the state track meet, placing in the top seven in three events and placing in the top three in two events.

In this picture, Ava Jones hugs her father after winning the 4A girls high jump at the Kansas state high school track and field championships, May 28, 2021.

e5a1542c-a438-4409-b722-889de7a57800-B53F8810.JPG

The FULL Story:

She's the kind of young person you really want to cheer for......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT