ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones Medically Retired on June 7, 2024. Plus Other Updates on Her & Her Family

Amy (the mom) had surgery on her leg on Wed June 14.

The grandmother wrote this: Amy was in surgery to remove hardware in her right leg and infection was found. She will have a PICC line and antibiotics for another 4-6 weeks.

What is a PICC line? From the Mayo Clinic:

A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC), also called a PICC line, is a long, thin tube that's inserted through a vein in your arm and passed through to the larger veins near your heart. Very rarely, the PICC line may be placed in your leg.

A PICC line gives your doctor access to the large central veins near the heart. It's generally used to give medications or liquid nutrition. A PICC line can help avoid the pain of frequent needle sticks and reduce the risk of irritation to the smaller veins in your arms.

A PICC line requires careful care and monitoring for complications, including infection and blood clots.

A PICC line is one type of catheter used to access the large veins in your chest (central venous catheter). Examples of other types of central venous catheters include implantable ports and central lines.

Think of a PICC line as an IV that you can go home with to continue receiving periodic IV medications.

Reactions: slindian
When it comes to dates:

On May 14 it was reported that Ava had one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. Ava is very determined to play again. That story is linked at the end of this post.

On April 8, Amy Jones (Ava's mother) wrote that "surgery #3 is in the books! Knees should be as good as new." Ava then wrote on April 8 that "hopefully this was my last knee surgery."

I believe this was the last surgery for Ava (AC shoulder separation surgery)! Note the knee surgery scars on both legs (especially the long one on the left leg).

Think of a PICC line as an IV that you can go home with to continue receiving periodic IV medications.
This. I had shoulder surgery in late March. It got infected and Dr.s had to go back in and clean it out.
Had a pic line put in and every morning I had to go to the hospital for a 2 hr IV drip of anti-biotics for 2 weeks.
Infection is not a good thing after surgery. I'm still on Amoxicillin 4 months after to fight infection. Sounds like mom will be on the IV drip for a couple months which is a bummer. Hope she can fight through all this.

Exactly one year ago today, on July 5th, 2022, Trey, Amy, Ava and Creek Jones were struck by a vehicle on a sidewalk while visiting Louisville, KY for Ava’s AAU basketball tournament. Creek was treated for minor injuries and Trey sadly did not survive his injuries.

• Sad
Reactions: FrankBurns00
Thanks for reminding us to cherish the lives we have and those loved ones we share it with. You just never know.

Sorry if this is already posted in the thread, but what became of the driver?

Reactions: Franisdaman
357745180_10159058470071529_1677058960862944325_n.jpg

358060601_10159058470041529_448231234614234019_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I think any court time she gets will be the whipped topping. I know we all hold out huge hope to someday see her first bucket and we can all bawl and scream our lungs out at the same time, but getting her to the point where she can live as "normal" a life as possible is first and foremost (and second and third for that matter).

Thanks for posting. I think any court time she gets will be the whipped topping. I know we all hold out huge hope to someday see her first bucket and we can all bawl and scream our lungs out at the same time, but getting her to the point where she can live as "normal" a life as possible is first and foremost (and second and third for that matter).

Amen!

Wow. We kept hearing that her surgeries were finished. I'd say with that and Lisa's comment Its highly unlikely we'll ever see her on the floor at Carver for any meaningful minutes.

Yeah, the "she has a lot of surgeries planned" comment was a surprise.

"But she's doing well academically"--hopefully that means her cognitive abilities are back to normal (or close to back)

And, sadly, I agree with you; the "will she become a basketball player? who knows" comment really makes you wonder if she will ever play meaningful minutes. Heck, will she even be able to practice effectively?

Yeah, the "she has a lot of surgeries planned" comment was a surprise.

"But she's doing well academically"--hopefully that means her cognitive abilities are back to normal (or close to back)

And, sadly, I agree with you; the "will she become a basketball player? who knows" comment really makes you wonder if she will ever play meaningful minutes. Heck, will she even be able to practice effectively?
We'll see, and of course we all want the best for Ava. I do think that Bluder's hand will be forced on the issue of whether of not Ava goes on a medical after this season. Our current guard heavy recruited committs would make it appear we're going to have to be VERY active recruiting 3 and 4's and probably another 5 to go with Heiden on committs from the 25 and 26 classes. Ava would certainly fill one spot of that 3/4 issue if she'd be available by 2025. Seems like a long ways off, but not the way recruiting goes now.

Reactions: skydog0784
She had a clipboard and apparently was recording some sort of game stats.

Yes, she was sitting about 20 feet from the end of the bench area with a staffer/manager. My guess is they don't want her to risk any sort of contact that might happen if she were to be on the bench.

We'll see, and of course we all want the best for Ava. I do think that Bluder's hand will be forced on the issue of whether of not Ava goes on a medical after this season. Our current guard heavy recruited committs would make it appear we're going to have to be VERY active recruiting 3 and 4's and probably another 5 to go with Heiden on committs from the 25 and 26 classes. Ava would certainly fill one spot of that 3/4 issue if she'd be available by 2025. Seems like a long ways off, but not the way recruiting goes now.
I don't agree with your assessment. There are 15 schollies and Ava is a Hawkeye. It may take another year or two or three. Who cares. That young lady has tremendous drive and grit. I would like her to be a part of my team.

Recruiting be damned, Give her a chance to play again. That is the carrot that continually moves her forward.

Coach Bluder is all class.

I can’t believe people on this site still think a universe exists where Bluder is gonna take this girl’s hopes and dreams away.
It seems to me with NO inside information that we are headed eventually to a place where Bluder AND Ava's family mutually agree that it would be best for her to give up basketball. The doctors will make that call. Ava could then go on medical hardship and maintain her scholarship while not counting toward the team total. She could stay a part of the team for as long as she wants, just not playing. Lisa is right in just letting it all play out.

I don't agree with your assessment. There are 15 schollies and Ava is a Hawkeye. It may take another year or two or three. Who cares. That young lady has tremendous drive and grit. I would like her to be a part of my team.

Recruiting be damned, Give her a chance to play again. That is the carrot that continually moves her forward.

Coach Bluder is all class.
Thats fine, but I don't agree, so there we are. I'd love nothing more then for Ava to some day run out there and play. If you don't think this is a tough situation for Lisa, I don't know what to tell you. the issue clearly is they want Greenway and another player in that 26 class bad. The problem is we've recruited and gained commitments form so many guards, we HAVE to start pushing hard for some 3's, 4's, and a back up 5 to Heiden. Ava would fit that 3 or 4 spot nicely IF she is ever able to play, but at some point Bluder WILL have to make that determination. Her statements the last few months seem to make that clear. One of the caveats of the national cred Iowa has gained is that now with it come an expectation that you stay there, (something Kirk found out after 2002), and Bluder will need to make hay now on the recruiting trail with whats left of Clarks career and the immediate after glow.

I truly do hope Ava gets to play for Iowa, but if she doesn't she's still been a part of the team, and will receive a free college education from Iowa. Thats worth a great deal in itself if she is unable to will her body back to a D1 athlete standard....

I can’t believe people on this site still think a universe exists where Bluder is gonna take this girl’s hopes and dreams away.
Stop. Your trying to make it sound like we don't want the girl to succeed. That couldn't be farther from the truth, so stop making those comments. You have no idea what Lisa will do if a year from now Ava has not made significant progress, and the Dr's tell her she'll never be even 85%. Walking or jogging again isn't running the floor against D1 level players. I hope the best for Ava, but acting like you know how this will play out, is disengenous at best....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT