ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones

It was a drunk driver who hit them right? A lot of posters condone that behavior on the OT board.

Like you I was really hoping she could make it back no matter how long the odds, I do think the potential for further injury likely played a part in the decision, Leg injury, Concussion etc. is serious for any player let alone someone who has gone through what Ava has.
With the TBI she suffered its just too great a risk for her to participate in a contact sport, (which basketball certainly is)......

It's been a bittersweet 24 hours for the Jones family out of Nickerson, Kansas...Today, Ava Jones (
@avajones_35) announced she is medically retiring from basketball after her freshman year at Iowa (
@IowaWBB). She spent the last couple years fighting hard to recover from a tragic car accident that killed her father and left her and her mom in critical condition in 2022. She'll remain on scholarship and focus on getting her degree. She told me she is interested in becoming a sports broadcaster.

Also, her brother Hunter Jones (@GorillasTrack) found out that he has officially qualified for the 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials in the decathlon. His score of 7898 at the NCAA DII championships on May 24 is the eighth highest score in the nation this year, and from what I've calculated, ninth best of Olympic Trials qualifiers.Such a resilient family, wishing them all the best.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reactions: jaxhawk06
While it is absolutely awesome to see the progress she has made and her amazingly resilient spirit, it's pretty easy to see why the decision to medically retire was made.
I cannot imagine what she's been through and how many times I would've just wanted to say "eff it!" and quit, but she just keeps digging harder. If you aren't pulling for that kid you have no soul.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT