ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones

It's not personal, it's just the right thing to do. Ava stays on scholie. Period.

Move on.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Let me ask this. Up until 6 weeks ago we had NO idea if CC was going to come back or go to the W. So lets say Goodman decides to come back. Lisa said it was Sharons decision to move on. And then lets say Clark decides to use her covid year, leaving us one OVER the 15. My understanding is that since Clark took an official visit to Iowa 4 years ago, she can not be on the roster as a walk on. So does Lisa tell NO? She has said publicly that it was CC's decision, BUT they wanted her back. Of course. So how do they make room on the roster? Would you suggest she crean another player? Do you not think that these discussions have been had between Lisa and Jan and the rest of the staff?

Its just a discussion. Try answering the question I asked wondergrape in post 45. What would she have done if Clark came back, and so did Sharon. Do you really think these discussions have not been had with the womans coaches?

I would guess Lisa has had numerous conversations with Ava, I would also guess most of the conversations have been positive, Upbeat conversations telling her to keep working to improve physically and mentally. IMO for her teammates to see what Ava has gone through and to see the work she is putting in to try to achieve her dream of stepping foot on the court at Iowa is far more valuable than 1 roster spot.
I also believe the way Lisa has handled Ava’s situation has a much better chance of having an overall positive effect on recruiting than simply opening up her roster spot. Recruits and their parents can see how Lisa and staff have handled it and perhaps feel at Iowa it truly is a family and the coaches really do believe every member of the team truly matters.
Instant gratification is not always the best thing.

Just be sure your not one of those guys bitching because Bluder doesn't add another big to the roster. It went on ALL season, and there's nothing she could have done given the roster constraints. Is there someone else who might actually play that you'd like her to Crean?

There was not a roster constraint this year...they played this season at 14 scholarships.

(I also was not someone bitching about it, figured we were good with Hannah and Molly after the season ended last year.)

Reactions: Scott559
Will be interesting to see what they think of her progress. Red Shirt this year, probably not all that difficult to get a medical waiver for next year, leaving her with 4 years left and hopefully a recovered mind and body.

Iowa has played for consecutive national championships. Anyone bitching about Bluder is a moron.
Taking CC out of the equation the past two years, is Iowa playing for those championships?

In case you’re too full of kool-aid to think rationally, it was 98% CC getting them that far. Blunder was simply along for the ride.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Imagine using Ava's injuries to promote your own thread and supposed insider information by posting made up stuff about her surgeries.

• Wow
Reactions: ddeanHawk
Taking CC out of the equation the past two years, is Iowa playing for those championships?

In case you’re too full of kool-aid to think rationally, it was 98% CC getting them that far. Blunder was simply along for the ride.
So was Bluder just along for the ride when Gustafson and Doyle took Iowa to the Elite 8? What about when Logic took Iowa to the Sweet 16? You need a good coach for talent to turn into results. Look at UCLA -- talent out the ass but total disappointment. Look at Maryland, Ohio State. Lot of talent, no culture.

Bluder has proven she knows how to develop talent (none of Gustafson, Doyle, Warnock, Martin, Marshall, Affolter were in ESPN's Top 75 but all earned some kind of All B1G recognition and all contributed to teams that advanced to at least the Elite 8). And she knows how to create culture and retain athletes. The nickname "blunder" makes no sense. Plenty of coaches have achieved less with a lot more.

So was Bluder just along for the ride when Gustafson and Doyle took Iowa to the Elite 8? What about when Logic took Iowa to the Sweet 16? You need a good coach for talent to turn into results. Look at UCLA -- talent out the ass but total disappointment. Look at Maryland, Ohio State. Lot of talent, no culture.

Bluder has proven she knows how to develop talent (none of Gustafson, Doyle, Warnock, Martin, Marshall, Affolter were in ESPN's Top 75 but all earned some kind of All B1G recognition and all contributed to teams that advanced to at least the Elite 8). And she knows how to create culture and retain athletes. The nickname "blunder" makes no sense. Plenty of coaches have achieved less with a lot more.
CC = Final Four/NCG back to back

Bluder = solid coach, above average recruiter (but getting better), and perhaps a nice run to the E8 every six years.

With regards to talent development, yeah, she sure, like Kirk she's great at that ...without a superstar like CC all that development will get you a cup of coffee and a spot one table over from the blue bloods.

CC = Final Four/NCG back to back

Bluder = solid coach, above average recruiter (but getting better), and perhaps a nice run to the E8 every six years.

With regards to talent development, yeah, she sure, like Kirk she's great at that ...without a superstar like CC all that development will get you a cup of coffee and a spot one table over from the blue bloods.
If you’re gonna be mad about not being a blue blood you should just stop watching. There’s only one blue blood left and that coach is probably retiring after next year.

You can be mad about not being the best program out of 350 year in and year out (sounds miserable) or you can enjoy the show. For the rest of us, it’s been a fun past 10 years.

We have Bluder to thank for recruiting, developing and retaining all those kids that have been part of a very successful program. Fans at Iowa State, Indiana, Ohio State and many more programs would kill to have the success we’ve had in that time.

Take X player out of countless championship level teams and those teams don’t play for a championship. Lots of coaches “along for the ride.” Derp.

I'm of the opinion that once you tell Ava we're keeping you on, then you keep her on without the medical scholarship as long as she wants (below is the only exception). In for a penny, in for a pound. You don't get to have the feel-goods in the beginning and not bite the bullet at the end if it impacts potential transfers down the road.

None of us know her exact medical precautions. None of us know her exact medical history and list of surgeries, complications, or diagnoses. None of us know how *successful* any one of those surgeries were let alone the success of the surgeries in totality. She is a very complex patient even without the atheltics considerations. For all we know she may never get medically passed/cleared to return to basketball. On the spectrum of possibilities that is more likely than her being able to compete at the B1G level in her 4-5 years at Iowa. Disagree? Then lets pull up pubmed and talk shop.

Like most patients, she'll probably land somewhere in the middle when all is said and done. Her physicians may already think she'll never safely return to contact sports and would have said so under "more normal" conditions. They are keenly aware of the unique psychosocial dynamics in this situation which further complicates the official recommendations and prognosis. In the end, we should all be happy and grateful she is getting her care at damn near the perfect healthcare institution for her. (combination of elite Ophtha., elite Otolaryn., Athletics experience, and elite Rehab teams)

Lastly, a whole lot of people with a "holier than tho" attitude and righteous indignation in here in response to someone initially asking a question and starting a discussion. Reminds me a lot of the hypocritical small town catholics I grew up with in Iowa.

Take X player out of countless championship level teams and those teams don’t play for a championship. Lots of coaches “along for the ride.” Derp.
Not all the time, especially when the team is loaded with 4/5-stars and a bench so deep it would make the Grand Canyon blush.

If we're being honest, Bluder has peaked, she will never get Iowa back to the championship game. Now it's about sustaining momentum post-CC. Become a consistent Final Four team and a clockwork S16 program.

Obviously, she isn't going anywhere and will probably finish her career as the Hawkeyes HC. No one is calling for her termination or retirement at this time.

Not all the time, especially when the team is loaded with 4/5-stars and a bench so deep it would make the Grand Canyon blush.

If we're being honest, Bluder has peaked, she will never get Iowa back to the championship game. Now it's about sustaining momentum post-CC. Become a consistent Final Four team and a clockwork S16 program.

Obviously, she isn't going anywhere and will probably finish her career as the Hawkeyes HC. No one is calling for her termination or retirement at this time.

So, Bluder has peaked.

• Haha
Reactions: herkhatescy
Ava has come a long ways in her rehab and no doubt still a ways to go. I pray that she makes it. For me personally it would be a bigger story than what our Hawkeye ladies have accomplished the past two seasons. A lot bigger. Despite the tragedy this young lady has been through, Ava shows tremendous courage and determination and I won’t be surprised to see her in uniform in a couple years. Once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye.

How many more years do we think Bluder has? She’s 63 now. I would say 5-7 tops. With the age of her current assistants, I would assume the AD would look outside of the current program for a replacement.

Would LSU gotten to where they were without Angel? Would UConn been to final four without Paige? How about USC without JuJu? All great teams have one star. Coach Bluder gave Caitlin the freedom to do what she does. Most coaches wouldn't. Would the Hawks have beaten Nebraska without Kate's big three pointers down the stretch or Gabby's defense? Affolter was solid when she got in a starters role. Hannah had some huge games (26 pts against UConn), Kylie had some huge plays down the stretch. Yes, Caitlin was the go-to but the rest of the team was very instrumental to our 2nd National final.

All I can say is with all of the transfer leniency going on, shame on the NCAA for not allowing an exception to the scholarship rules.

Why?

Lisa has rarely carried anything like 15 scholarships her entire career. Hell there was an unused scholarship on this year's team.

Most top programs have historically not carried a full 15. Very hard to keep 15 people happy with only 200 minutes of playing time.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Why?

Lisa has rarely carried anything like 15 scholarships her entire career. Hell there was an unused scholarship on this year's team.

Most top programs have historically not carried a full 15. Very hard to keep 15 people happy with only 200 minutes of playing time.
What? Because I would think the NCAA could take the pressure off a kid who has went through enough.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Will be interesting to see what they think of her progress. Red Shirt this year, probably not all that difficult to get a medical waiver for next year, leaving her with 4 years left and hopefully a recovered mind and body.
With all do respect, this is another post like many here who play up the feel good story but skirt the facts. A "medical waver" would end her basketball career at Iowa. That is a fact. This is why Petras could NEVER play at Iowa again, (he took a waiver last season), but is now playing at Utah State, or wherever he is.

Would LSU gotten to where they were without Angel? Would UConn been to final four without Paige? How about USC without JuJu? All great teams have one star. Coach Bluder gave Caitlin the freedom to do what she does. Most coaches wouldn't. Would the Hawks have beaten Nebraska without Kate's big three pointers down the stretch or Gabby's defense? Affolter was solid when she got in a starters role. Hannah had some huge games (26 pts against UConn), Kylie had some huge plays down the stretch. Yes, Caitlin was the go-to but the rest of the team was very instrumental to our 2nd National final.
Again though there is a difference between acknowledging the contributions of all the ladies, (which there were many), and understanding the reality. Do the planets not revolve around the sun? I mean would those players have the space and freedom to make those plays without the gravity of what Clarks greatness provides? All eyes are on her. Often 3 or 4 defenders watching or shading toward her. Nobody is saying that these ladies aren't good players, but its just reality that this is not a final 4 team without Clark. Thats all he said. Is there really a discussion to be had about that statement?

With all do respect, this is another post like many here who play up the feel good story but skirt the facts. A "medical waver" would end her basketball career at Iowa. That is a fact. This is why Petras could NEVER play at Iowa again, (he took a waiver last season), but is now playing at Utah State, or wherever he is.

You are posting a lot of infactual information that you obviously honestly believe.

Yes there is such a thing as Medical Waiver...why do you think we all knew that Jordan Bohannan was only going to play the first 10 games in 2019?

You want the form to fill out for it?

Big difference between getting a medical waiver and a medical retirement.

Lastly, a whole lot of people with a "holier than tho" attitude and righteous indignation in here in response to someone initially asking a question and starting a discussion. Reminds me a lot of the hypocritical small town catholics I grew up with in Iowa.
The initial question was fine even though it’s already been answered by Bluder. He received one decent answer one not (this is also a message board). He then started attacking Bluder is where he went off the rails. Yes Clark has been instrumental in our success, but we don’t have Clark without Bluder. Great teams have great players. The bump in recruiting should help. As to Ava and Bluder, Bluder Has been one to not want a full roster and Ava has been improving leaps and bounds. They also don’t acknowledge Bluder went after a big last year in the portal but no one was interested. Bluder has a plan but gaining a player to kick another off is low on the board. The insinuation is we could have won a championship if we had gotten a big. Second is that Bluder doesn’t mange her roster well or shouldn’t be giving Ava the ship because it may limit our prospects. Bluder has created the family atmosphere by the relationships, you also can’t tell me she can say everyday at practice look over at Ava who is working her butt off. I am more than fine having Ava remain on scholarship and Bluder running this team.

You are posting a lot of infactual information that you obviously honestly believe.

Yes there is such a thing as Medical Waiver...why do you think we all knew that Jordan Bohannan was only going to play the first 10 games in 2019?

You want the form to fill out for it?

Big difference between getting a medical waiver and a medical retirement.
Sorry. but I don't think thats right either. Jbo played 10 games . His injury was related to the sport. So your saying that she can take a redshirt, and then take a medical, (unrelated to competition) and then still play 4 years? I'm not so sure about that. I think you'll find that players who have pulled that off have been injured during related activities, and yes I think to the NCAA that makes a difference, (no matter how screwed up the NCAA is).

The initial question was fine even though it’s already been answered by Bluder. He received one decent answer one not (this is also a message board). He then started attacking Bluder is where he went off the rails. Yes Clark has been instrumental in our success, but we don’t have Clark without Bluder. Great teams have great players. The bump in recruiting should help. As to Ava and Bluder, Bluder Has been one to not want a full roster and Ava has been improving leaps and bounds. They also don’t acknowledge Bluder went after a big last year in the portal but no one was interested. Bluder has a plan but gaining a player to kick another off is low on the board. The insinuation is we could have won a championship if we had gotten a big. Second is that Bluder doesn’t mange her roster well or shouldn’t be giving Ava the ship because it may limit our prospects. Bluder has created the family atmosphere by the relationships, you also can’t tell me she can say everyday at practice look over at Ava who is working her butt off. I am more than fine having Ava remain on scholarship and Bluder running this team.
I don't know where you think I've attacked Bluder. I simply pointed out that many here have been critical that she did not sign another big from the portal. For the record, I was not one of those people last year, which I clearly said, that she did make an effort, so No thats not correct. I have always been supportive of the job Bluder is doing. Second I'm all for supporting Ava, and have said MANY times I'd love nothing more then to see her play, (though I don't think she will be able compete at this level). I posed a question about Iowa's guard heavy recruiting, and the FACT that they have to sign numerous bigs in the 2025-26 classes. We will be down to Heiden, and Mallageni (and she is more a wing) by 26. What happens then if we don't have the rides to sign Greenway and several other guards that we have been hot after for awhile? Like Addy Deal anyone of those players could be the next great Iowa player. It seems to be okay to get after Fran, (and rightly so) for carrying players on his roster that aren't able to contribute, and for not doing what he could to improve the team. Certainly Bluder has taken her team to a different level, (but lets be really honest here thats not happening without Clark, so lets not come back with the "Bluder recruited Clark" either, I know full well she did).

Sorry. but I don't think thats right either. Jbo played 10 games . His injury was related to the sport. So your saying that she can take a redshirt, and then take a medical, (unrelated to competition) and then still play 4 years? I'm not so sure about that. I think you'll find that players who have pulled that off have been injured during related activities, and yes I think to the NCAA that makes a difference, (no matter how screwed up the NCAA is).

Illness can get a waiver. Pregnancy can get you a waiver. Neither are going to be sport related.

I also said apply in my post if they thought there was a reason to, and that is not something that would need to be done right away. It could be done three years from now....nor would I ever venture a guess on what the NCAAs final decision would be

Basic rules are here

Would LSU gotten to where they were without Angel? Would UConn been to final four without Paige? How about USC without JuJu? All great teams have one star.
Many of them have more than one, and beyond that, most of them have an entire bench of players that would start at the vast majority of other programs. UConn made the Final Four while 3-4 of it's top players were injured. Iowa, even with CC wouldn't have survived that and gotten to the FF.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT