ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones

Cymonhawk

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2002
I haven't seen any updates on Ava lately. Just wondering how her rehab is going and life in general. It would be awesome to see her sitting on the bench during a home game.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Is Ava able to go on any away games with the team? I thought I saw her behind the bench at Rutgers.

I saw her behind the bench during warmups at the MSU game. Looked to me like she was walking pretty gingerly.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Ava is enrolled in class but has serious medical issues that are ongoing. She recently had eye surgery to correct problems associated with her injury. Her grandma is living with her and looking after Ava. There is virtually no way she will ever play collegiate basketball. Way too many severe injuries to her body and brain.

Ava is enrolled in class but has serious medical issues that are ongoing. She recently had eye surgery to correct problems associated with her injury. Her grandma is living with her and looking after Ava. There is virtually no way she will ever play collegiate basketball. Way too many severe injuries to her body and brain.

So sad. Blink of an eye and several lives changed forever. Good news is she's moving forward with good attitude. Thanks to Bluder and staff for including her as much as possible

Thanks for the info! Did she move out of her dorm room she shared with Kennise?

I also believe it is rather obvious she will not be able to play. She seems to have significant cognitive issues, which aren’t as apparent unless you listen to her speak or see her walk. On top of all her rehab and relearning….I truly cannot imagine the magnitude of processing the trauma of that tragedy while navigating your freshman year of college. While trying to keep your dream of being a college athlete alive — all away from home. That is just so, so much for anyone to handle. Most people could not do it.

Before she moved to Iowa City she had a girlfriend who ran track at another school (maybe Pitt? I can’t remember). She used to share pictures of them together and cute stories all the time on Instagram, but that’s stopped in recent months. I hope she is doing okay and has found a support system in Iowa City. I sometimes think about whether it’s all too much for her being so far from home. But she certainly has Hawkeye pride and frequently shares achievements of other student athletes / teams. I’m glad she has her grandma now too. And she seems to have a very strong faith, often posting devotionals that get her thru the day.

Last edited:
WTF cares. She went to hell and back, still here.
Unreal and hopefully she has a great life.

Reactions: amahawk
What a shame.
Wonder what the drunk got for running her family over?

IMO, there needs to be greater consequences when somebody driving under the influence kills someone or badly injures someone. This driver did both and how many years will he spend in jail? Anything less than taking his life is not enough.
FIFY to match my opinion

IMO, there needs to be greater consequences when somebody driving under the influence kills someone or badly injures someone. This driver did both and how many years will he spend in jail? Anything less than life is not enough.
I just want to say my brother in law has three owi and my birth family doesn't bat an eye. I, however, have been ostracized and have gone zero contact because those assholes judge me for every little thing I've done. Yes, it's easy to say after the fact to throw away the key. I agree btw. My point is a big proportion of people will not say a damn thing to these assholes until a horrific event occurs. While truth tellers are silenced. Tell your friends and family drunk driving is not acceptable and hold them accountable. PS. He also cheated on her but nobody believes me. Insanity.

And people think Bluder should take this away from her. SMH.
Look NOBODY want Ava to stop her dream. I just think theres a difference between what we'd ALL like to see happen for her, and what we actually think will happen. I'd love nothing more then for her to actually play in a game in an Iowa uniform. I can't say that strongly enough. Do I think she'll ever be able to play D1 level basketball. No, I don't. Thats not being a hater, its being a realist, and some of the same people on here bitching about this deal are the ones bitching that Bluder isn't working the portal hard enough last season and this one. Well? You tell me the answer, since there are ZERO available rides.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
Look NOBODY want Ava to stop her dream. I just think theres a difference between what we'd ALL like to see happen for her, and what we actually think will happen. I'd love nothing more then for her to actually play in a game in an Iowa uniform. I can't say that strongly enough. Do I think she'll ever be able to play D1 level basketball. No, I don't. Thats not being a hater, its being a realist, and some of the same people on here bitching about this deal are the ones bitching that Bluder isn't working the portal hard enough last season and this one. Well? You tell me the answer, since there are ZERO available rides.

Ava stays on scholarship. Period. Those that don't like that can get fecked.

Ava stays on scholarship. Period. Those that don't like that can get fecked.
Maybe try not taking in so damned personally. Its not like anything we post here has any bearing on what the coaches will do. Just be sure your not one of those guys bitching because Bluder doesn't add another big to the roster. It went on ALL season, and there's nothing she could have done given the roster constraints. Is there someone else who might actually play that you'd like her to Crean?

Maybe try not taking in so damned personally. Its not like anything we post here has any bearing on what the coaches will do. Just be sure your not one of those guys bitching because Bluder doesn't add another big to the roster. It went on ALL season, and there's nothing she could have done given the roster constraints. Is there someone else who might actually play that you'd like her to Crean?
It's not personal, it's just the right thing to do. Ava stays on scholie. Period.

Move on.

Iowa has played for consecutive national championships. Anyone bitching about Bluder is a moron. Plenty of them around here.

It's not personal, it's just the right thing to do. Ava stays on scholie. Period.

Move on.
Its not personal and yet your statement is worded like its your decision. I was unaware. My apologies....Just FYI, the lady who actually coaches the team, has said publicly in interviews, that she really doubts that Ava will ever be able to play. If she believes that and has said that publicly don't you think she's had these conversations with Ava?

She will play at some point how much and at what quality is the question. She is improving drastically. Would be no different than getting Molly out there in the championship game. Just watch that video, had a rough day shooting (she has shot better) continues to improve and work her butt off. No one else is in the gym but she is. She will keep putting the work in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT