ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Baseball Conference Tournament Thread

No start times for today...MD/OSU restarts 10am then the next games are an hour after the next.

Maybe that's a future model the conference should use. Start at 9am but if a game gets over at 1130 Then the next is an hour from then and so on.

Dont you think it would have been already slated for Indianapolis.
Did you just start following baseball last year? Now your all upset, nd think you know better?
Who said I was upset?

The BTT used be held on campus (of the reg season champion I believe). Then in 2013 they started moving it around to larger ball parks. The BTT has never been held in Indianapolis.

I am simply pointing out an empty stadium over the last 2 days in Omaha and that a central location like Indy has a lot of advantages over Omaha.

Again, there are many reasons that several annual B1G tournaments/championships (football, mens BB, womens BB) are held in Indy.

I simply do not understand why so many of you think an empty stadium in Omaha is a success story.

Who said I was upset?

The BTT used be held on campus (of the reg season champion I believe). Then in 2013 they started moving it around to larger ball parks. The BTT has never been held in Indianapolis.

I am simply pointing out an empty stadium over the last 2 days in Omaha and that a central location like Indy has a lot of advantages over Omaha.

Again, there are many reasons that several annual B1G tournaments/championships (football, mens BB, womens BB) are held in Indy.

I simply do not understand why so many of you think an empty stadium in Omaha is a success story.
We are stating that it would be empty anywhere. This is the Big 10 not the ACC or SEC.

Who said I was upset?

Why do you want to give Indiana all the sports tournaments? Spread the wealth.

Also Im sure the Big10 has looked into Indianapolis, it just hasn't worked out.

Personally I like the fact that the Big10 can get great experience on the field that the College World Series is held on. Big10 needs to do better than it has.

That Nebraska/Indiana game about four years ago drew close to 19k IIRC, that 1-game total bested the ENTIRE B10 tourney draw for about four years in a row and really opened some eyes...

Jesus...plenty of baseball left and we're seriously bickering about moving the tournament to Indianapolis. Why not Gary? They have a nice field.

There are a multitude of reasons why Omaha is an excellent choice to host the B1G baseball tournament. Phenomenal facilities. Arguably, the “capital” of college baseball. Zero competition for the ballpark unless Creighton is hosting the Big East tournament. Historical attendance numbers. Speculating here but I’m betting that cost comes into play. I’d be shocked if it doesn’t cost more to access ... say Target Field ... than it does TD Ameritrade. B1G splits 50% of profits with entity that runs TD Ameritrade.

With that written, I have spoken to a couple of people I know at the The Des Moines Partnership about whether they could put out some feelers with the Iowa Cubs and the NCAA about whether Des Moines could be a viable host city. I personally believe that Des Moines would do well hosting the B1G tournament.

Principal Park is already committed to host the Iowa High School baseball championships in July and that means the PCL has to accommodate that schedule. Throwing in another week where the I-Cubs would have to be on the road may prove to be too much of an ask for PCL schedulers. Don’t know ....

Indianapolis would be fine .... assuming that the Indians could make Victory Field available (very good AAA ballpark). But, switching from Omaha to anywhere else wouldn’t be due to a lack of interest/support in Omaha. It would be simply to shake things up and, based upon actual historical results, it would likely come at a cost in the form of decreased attendance and less revenue to the B1G’s baseball coffers. When Iowa won the tournament in Bloomington in 2017, it’s not like the “central location” of hosting it in Indiana resulted in tons of attendance.

EDIT: Indiana's high school baseball championships are held the second week of June. Victory Field hosts those games. Thus, there may very well be logistical challenges to prepping the field for the B1G championships in late May, working in Indians games, then prepping and getting ready for the IHSSA championships two weeks later. I can almost assure you that the IL would not want to have the Indians on road from late May through mid-June. While I'm certain that it is feasible, it would pose some logistical challenges and, quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indianapolis Indians said . . . "umm, no thanks."

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
You are biased towards Omaha, obviously, based on the fact that you live in that state.

I am trolling? What an absolutely idiotic statement. You are a Debbie fan on an Iowa site and let's be VERY CLEAR. An Iowa fan ON an Iowa site making a case for Indy is not trolling.

Do you know what WOULD be trolling? If i went to a Debbie site and made the case for Indy. But I don't go to Debbie sites. Debbie sites are for people like YOU! Yet you, a Debbie fan, are here on an Iowa site. So, really, who is trolling??

Good grief.

As I said above, if you take your red Debbie sunglasses off for a few seconds AND if you use some common sense....Ok, that's probably too much to ask for.

Any way, again, there are many reasons why Indy would be a logical host for the B1G baseball tournament. BECAUSE of those reasons, Indy already hosts the:

* B1G Football Championship game
* B1G Men's basketball Tournament
* B1G Women's basketball Tournament

And you think the B1G baseball tournament is in Omaha to stay? Of course you do.

Just don't tell us that you are hopeful that the B1G Men's basketball Tournament gets moved to Omaha as well.

You are the ONLY person here that is not using common sense. Their are several reasons why it is in Omaha and you are just flat out ignoring them. They've tried several different sites for this tournament and none come close to what Omaha has provided. And yes, the tournament is here to stay for the time being, the Big Ten will have the tournament there through at least 2022.

Fran, you've chosen a strange hill to die on in this thread. Omaha is the perfect place for the B1G tourney. Attendance numbers overwhelming prove it. A video of a lightly attended Wednesday night game doesn't 'prove' anything. Virtually any Wednesday night opening round conference baseball tourney game not located in Hoover, AL is going to look like that.

You are the ONLY person here that is not using common sense. Their are several reasons why it is in Omaha and you are just flat out ignoring them. They've tried several different sites for this tournament and none come close to what Omaha has provided. And yes, the tournament is here to stay for the time being, the Big Ten will have the tournament there through at least 2022.

Why are you not using common sense & your own 2 eyes in seeing that the stadium is empty? The seats that are filled are mostly Iowa and Debbie fans.

You are just flat out ignoring your own eyes.

Omaha is simply not convenient for all fan bases but two, Iowa and Debbie; hence, the low fan turnout.

If not Indy, maybe they should go back to having the B1G regular season champ hosting again. That can't be any worse that what we are seeing in Omaha. The B1G held the tournament on campus until 2013.

In 2013 they held it at Target Field.
2014: Omaha
2015: Target Field
2016: Omaha
2017: hosted by IU in Bloomington
2018: Omaha
2019: Omaha

The B1G baseball tournament has never been hosted by Indy.

It is my opinion that Indy would be a great central location, convenient for a majority of the B1G fan bases. And Indy does a great job, as we have seen with football and basketball. Perhaps you have enough common sense to acknowledge that. I am guessing not.

Why are you not using common sense & your own 2 eyes in seeing that the stadium is empty? The seats that are filled are mostly Iowa and Debbie fans.

Omaha is simply not convenient for all fan bases but two, Iowa and Debbie; hence, the low fan turnout.

If not Indy, maybe they should go back to having the B1G regular season champ hosting again. That can't be any worse that what we are seeing in Omaha. The B1G held the tournament on campus until 2013.

It is my opinion that Indy would be a great central location, convenient for a majority of the B1G fan bases. And Indy does a great job, as we have seen with football and basketball. Perhaps you have enough common sense to acknowledge that. I am guessing not.

Great central location...

Attendance right now would rival what it would be for the whole tournament Indy.

There are a multitude of reasons why Omaha is an excellent choice to host the B1G baseball tournament. Phenomenal facilities. Arguably, the “capital” of college baseball. Zero competition for the ballpark unless Creighton is hosting the Big East tournament. Historical attendance numbers. Speculating here but I’m betting that cost comes into play. I’d be shocked if it doesn’t cost more to access ... say Target Field ... than it does TD Ameritrade. B1G splits 50% of profits with entity that runs TD Ameritrade.

With that written, I have spoken to a couple of people I know at the The Des Moines Partnership about whether they could put out some feelers with the Iowa Cubs and the NCAA about whether Des Moines could be a viable host city. I personally believe that Des Moines would do well hosting the B1G tournament.

Principal Park is already committed to host the Iowa High School baseball championships in July and that means the PCL has to accommodate that schedule. Throwing in another week where the I-Cubs would have to be on the road may prove to be too much of an ask for PCL schedulers. Don’t know ....

Indianapolis would be fine .... assuming that the Indians could make Victory Field available (very good AAA ballpark). But, switching from Omaha to anywhere else wouldn’t be due to a lack of interest/support in Omaha. It would be simply to shake things up and, based upon actual historical results, it would likely come at a cost in the form of decreased attendance and less revenue to the B1G’s baseball coffers. When Iowa won the tournament in Bloomington in 2017, it’s not like the “central location” of hosting it in Indiana resulted in tons of attendance.

Another factor you touched on is the scheduling. TD Ameritrade was built specifically for the CWS. Other than hosting a handful of Creighton games every year, it sits empty and ready for use. There are no scheduling issues w

Go ahead and start a petition with the Big Ten. Everyone else loves it in Omaha. Good luck.

Why do you want to give Indiana all the sports tournaments? Spread the wealth.

Also Im sure the Big10 has looked into Indianapolis, it just hasn't worked out.

Personally I like the fact that the Big10 can get great experience on the field that the College World Series is held on. Big10 needs to do better than it has.
Indy is right in the middle of the B1G footprint & more convenient for fan bases

And they do a great job in hosting tournaments and championships. Great hotels, great restaurants, you name it.

As I said above, Indy has never hosted & has never been given an opportunity for it "to work out."

Playing the BTT off campus is a new thing. Through 2012 the BTT was hosted on campus by the reg season champ.

Franisdaman, the argument seems to be that Iowa and Nebraska fans are the only ones who really show up for baseball, even in their own home parks. Other Big Ten fan bases could care less about baseball.

Do you think that hosting the BTT in Indy will somehow spur fans who can't be bothered to attend home games to start driving from wherever to Indy, shelling out money for gas, food, acommodations, and tickets?

That Nebraska/Indiana game about four years ago drew close to 19k IIRC, that 1-game total bested the ENTIRE B10 tourney draw for about four years in a row and really opened some eyes...
Well, it helps when it is in Debbie's backyard.

If it were in Indy, the numbers would have been large as well. IU fans would have been there and Debbie fans travel because they have nothing else to do.

EDIT: Indiana's high school baseball championships are held the second week of June. Victory Field hosts those games. Thus, there may very well be logistical challenges to prepping the field for the B1G championships in late May, working in Indians games, then prepping and getting ready for the IHSSA championships two weeks later. I can almost assure you that the IL would not want to have the Indians on road from late May through mid-June. While I'm certain that it is feasible, it would pose some logistical challenges and, quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indianapolis Indians said . . . "umm, no thanks."

Nice post.

I do hope the B1G puts out feelers to see if Des Moines and Indy are options. The more central the host city, the better for the fans and the better for B1G baseball.

Right now, the only fans that benefit from the Omaha location are Debbie fans and western Iowa fans. Not exactly fair to the rest of the conference.

Nice post.

I do hope the B1G puts out feelers to see if Des Moines and Indy are options. The more central the host city, the better for the fans and the better for B1G baseball.

Right now, the only fans that benefit from the Omaha location are Debbie fans and western Iowa fans. Not exactly fair to the rest of the conference.

They would outdraw everywhere else.

Another factor you touched on is the scheduling. TD Ameritrade was built specifically for the CWS. Other than hosting a handful of Creighton games every year, it sits empty and ready for use. There are no scheduling issues w

Go ahead and start a petition with the Big Ten. Everyone else loves it in Omaha. Good luck.
Debbie fans love it. Western Iowa fans probably like it. But that's it. That's 2 fans bases. But you nevertheless think "everyone" loves Omaha.

Use some common sense, will you?

Who is everyone else?

Debbie fans love it. Western Iowa fans probably like it. But that's it. That's 2 fans bases. But you nevertheless think "everyone" loves Omaha.

Use some common sense, will you?

Well Big Ten administrators and league baseball coaches love it in Omaha. That's why they signed a multi-year deal to have the tournament at the home of the CWS.

And the other fan bases simply don't show up when the tourney has been in their backyards.

Bloomington is a one hour drive from Indianapolis.

On Saturday, May 27, 2017, when Iowa, Northwestern, Maryland and Minnesota were playing to advance to Sunday, attendance was 1,114.

On Sunday, May 28, 2017, when Iowa played Northwestern for the B1G championship, attendance was 923.

And, yes, I realize that Indianapolis isn’t Bloomington and that there would likely be more casual fan interest if games were being played at Victory Field but ... the same thing could be said for potential casual fan interest in Minneapolis at Target Field ... make no mistake ... University of Minnesota baseball is well-supported and highly thought of ... and attendance didn’t come close to matching historical results of Omaha.

Again, I’m sure the good folks in Indianapolis wouldn’t embarrass themselves and would be good hosts. But giving them the chance would not be due to lackluster support in Omaha.

Bloomington is a one hour drive from Indianapolis.

On Saturday, May 27, 2017, when Iowa, Northwestern, Maryland and Minnesota were playing to advance to Sunday, attendance was 1,114.

On Sunday, May 28, 2017, when Iowa played Northwestern for the B1G championship, attendance was 923.

And, yes, I realize that Indianapolis isn’t Bloomington and that there would likely be more casual fan interest if games were being played at Victory Field but ... the same thing could be said for potential casual fan interest in Minneapolis at Target Field ... make no mistake ... University of Minnesota baseball is well-supported and highly thought of ... and attendance didn’t come close to matching historical results of Omaha.

Again, I’m sure the good folks in Indianapolis wouldn’t embarrass themselves and would be good hosts. But giving them the chance would not be due to lackluster support in Omaha.
Do you have links to these attendance numbers?

In your 2017 examples, the big thing is that IU & Purdue were not playing. If they had been, the numbers would have been better. We see the same thing with Debbie fans in Omaha.

Keep in mind that thru 2012 the B1G baseball tournament was held on campus so attendance would not be all that great because the on campus baseball stadiums are small.

So, obviously, thru 2012, attendance figures for the B1G baseball tournament are not good.

The B1G decided to go off campus in 2013 & they have only tried two locations: Target Field and Omaha. Target Field was a disappointment. With Omaha you are only catering to 2 fan bases and the stands are still empty unless Debbie or Iowa is playing.

We don't have a lot of off campus historical BTT attendance data to look at. 5 years. Two locations, Target Field & Omaha. That's it.

Just because Omaha is outdrawing one other location, Target Field, does not mean that a more central location like Indy shouldn't be at least discussed.

Granted, the location of the BTT might not be a big issue with B1G ADs because baseball is a low priority for them. Omaha will be the home until 2022; after that is anyone's guess.

Do you have links to these attendance numbers?

In your 2017 examples, the big thing is that IU & Purdue were not playing. If they had been, the numbers would have been better. We see the same thing with Debbie fans in Omaha.

Keep in mind that thru 2012 the B1G baseball tournament was held on campus so attendance would not be all that great because the on campus baseball stadiums are small.

So, obviously, thru 2012, attendance figures for the B1G baseball tournament are not good.

The B1G decided to go off campus in 2013 & they have only tried two locations: Target Field and Omaha. Target Field was a disappointment. With Omaha you are only catering to 2 fan bases and the stands are still empty unless Debbie or Iowa is playing.

We don't have a lot of off campus historical BTT attendance data to look at. 5 years. Two locations, Target Field & Omaha. That's it.

Just because Omaha is outdrawing one other location, Target Field, does not mean that a more central location like Indy shouldn't be at least discussed.

Granted, the location of the BTT might not be a big issue with B1G ADs because baseball is a low priority for them. Omaha will be the home until 2022; after that is anyone's guess.

Found them on Indiana and Iowa baseball websites. I clicked on box scores. Here’s an example: https://iuhoosiers.com/documents/2017/5/27/b1g12.pdf?id=22929

Do the eyeball test, again.

In the Michigan / Maryland game this evening, the stands were empty.

Indy or Des Moines can't do any worse than this. It is clear Omaha is not the ultimate answer. Omaha is simply an option.

And the crime is not as bad in Des Moines & Indy, too.
This dude is sooo butt hurt about gettin run ruled that he’s complaining about attendance in the losers bracket?

Reactions: NebGrad1995
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT