ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Baseball Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
Still a few weeks away, but if you can make a game, two, or the whole thing I'd encourage it. It really is a fun time.

Traditionally the first two days set up as such.

Wed
- 3vs6 @ 9am
- 2vs7 @1pm
- 1vs8 @5pm
- 4vs5 @9pm

Thu
-G1/2 losers @ 9am
-G3/4 losers @ 1pm

-G1/2 winners @5pm
-G3/4 winners @9pm

Fri
-G5 winner vs G7 loser @3pm or so
-G6 winner vs G8 loser @ 7pm or so

Then after that the remaining team on the losers sides flip brackets and have to beat the winners on their side twice.

The championship is Sunday and it's one game winner take all.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Dates: Wednesday, May 23 - Sunday, May 27

They now serve beer during the B1G tournament at TD Ameritrade. At least they did two years ago. Also plenty of fun places just to the outside. So it can make for a fun time. When Iowa has been there in the past, I've gone to the game prior or at least some it, then Iowa's game.

I'd have to think Iowa will have the home field advantage given the proximity, which certainly should help! No Nebraska in the tourney which is a gut punch for those Husker fans around here. TD Ameritrade is a very large park, so most deep fly balls that are HR's elsewhere are fly ball outs so it's smart to just try and drive the ball.
And yes, beer is served and there are two bars just across the street (Goodnights Pizza and the Blatt) along with some good food as well. Get out and support the Hawks!

Still a few weeks away, but if you can make a game, two, or the whole thing I'd encourage it. It really is a fun time.

Traditionally the first two days set up as such.

Wed
- 3vs6 @ 9am
- 2vs7 @1pm
- 1vs8 @5pm
- 4vs5 @9pm

Thu
-G1/2 losers @ 9am
-G3/4 losers @ 1pm

-G1/2 winners @5pm
-G3/4 winners @9pm

Fri
-G5 winner vs G7 loser @3pm or so
-G6 winner vs G8 loser @ 7pm or so

Then after that the remaining team on the losers sides flip brackets and have to beat the winners on their side twice.

The championship is Sunday and it's one game winner take all.

@funnyfletcher @StormHawk42 @750075 etc:

Anyone need links so you can stream on your device no matter where you are? You could probably watch the end over lunch hour! ;)

Here is an interesting stat; Purdue cleaned up and went 12-0 vs the league's worst 5 teams and 5-6 vs the rest.

Of the 8 BTT qualifiers, Iowa had the worst record against the 5 worst teams in the league

Minnesota is a worthy champion; like Iowa, they only played 8 games vs the 5 worst teams in the league. AND they won all 8 B1G series they played (4 of the 8 series were sweeps).

Minnesota has to be the clear favorite to win this tournament.

12-0...Purdue vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
10-1...Michigan vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
10-2...Illinois vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
8-1.....Indiana vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
8-6.....Michigan State vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
7-1.....Minnesota vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
5-1....Ohio State vs the worst 5 teams in the conference
5-3.....Iowa vs the worst 5 teams in the conference

Last edited:
Reactions: Couppee
Here is an interesting stat; Purdue cleaned up and went 12-0 vs the league's worst 5 teams and 5-6 vs the rest.

Of the 8 BTT qualifiers, Iowa had the worst record against the 5 worst teams in the league

Minnesota is a worthy champion; like Iowa, they only played 8 games vs the 5 worst teams in the league.

Its too painful to look how Iowa did vs NW and NEB. NO ONE in the top 8 lost a single game to NW and no team lost a series to NEB. Having that 3rd NEB game canceled did not help Iowa any.

Last edited:
Its too painful to look how Iowa did vs NW and NEB. NO ONE in the top 8 lost a single game to NW and one lost a series to NEB. Having that 3rd NEB game canceled did not help Iowa any.
thats a neat little spreadsheet; it clearly shows Minny was a worthy champ; they won every series they played!

Reactions: Couppee
Here is a nice Pre-Big 10 tournament column by Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register/HawkCentral:

Some excerpts:

...The only way to remove at-large bid speculation is for 33-18 Iowa — which despite the weekend’s three-game series sweep of Penn State saw its RPI slip from 64 to 66 — to repeat as tourney champs in this double-elimination free-for-all, and earn that automatic bid.

And when studying sixth-seeded Iowa’s chances of emerging in a highly competitive eight-team tournament, you must start with the pitching.

Because if a team is to emerge from a grueling tourney that requires a minimum of four wins to collect that aforementioned “golden ticket,” it needs enough arms to survive … and advance.

Game 1 starter Nick Allgeyer is the ‘bulldog’ at the top.

The Hawkeye left-hander will make his first career Big Ten Tournament start in Wednesday’s 9 a.m. opener vs. third-seeded Michigan (32-19).

Allgeyer (5-4, 2.50 ERA) missed last season following Tommy John surgery. He’s expected to face Michigan lefty Tommy Henry (7-3, 3.14), a pitching rematch of an April 27 game that Iowa won, 4-2, to snap the Wolverines’ 20-game winning streak.

“He’s a bulldog. He is absolute preparation to the max every time,” Whelan said. “I know he’s going to go out there and put his best effort out there. It’s up to us to play good defense and put up some runs.”

How Allgeyer pitches in the opener is perhaps the key to Iowa making a deep run. If he can dominate in a Hawkeye win, he would not only preserve Rick Heller’s bullpen — but, with the early start, would have 3½ days’ rest to recover for a possible Sunday championship appearance.

“My arm’s been bouncing back pretty good the last seven weeks,” Allgeyer said. “It may be in the cards, but we’ll see how it plays out.”

Suddenly, the Hawkeyes have red-hot starters at Nos. 2, 3.

Iowa has uncovered some late-season firepower behind Allgeyer.

Cole McDonald (3-1, 3.33) is the planned Game 2 starter (5 p.m. Thursday if the Hawkeyes beat Michigan; 9 a.m. Thursday if they lose), and he looked as good as everin returning from a three-week absence Friday night.

McDonald’s fastball cracked 94 mph, a personal record, in a dominant 65-pitch outing after his return from ulnar-nerve inflammation. The junior’s leash will be extended to about 85 pitches Thursday, and he has shown the ability to dominate — having thrown a no-hitter for Team USA in the World University Games over the summer.

In Iowa's No. 3 spot is true freshman Jack Dreyer, thrust into the rotation after McDonald’s injury. In those three starts, the lefty from Johnston been fantastic: a 1.69 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 16 innings with only eight hits allowed.

If a team wins its first three games at the Big Ten tourney (as Iowa did in 2016 in Omaha), it gets an automatic spot in Sunday’s winner-take-all championship game. That would not only be a best-case scenario for Iowa, it would greatly increase its at-large NCAA chances — to sit 36-18 with an eight-game winning streak.

“Having Cole back and Jack pitching the way he’s pitched,” Heller said, “it’s really made our staff a lot stronger and a lot deeper. And it enabled us to use our freshmen (relievers) in shorter stints.”

About that bullpen: A flame-throwing wild card has emerged.

The Hawkeyes’ bullpen doesn’t have the obvious multi-inning shutdown guy as it did in previous NCAA regional runs in 2015 and 2017. And the relief has been spotty at times, making the starters that much more important.

Still, Heller heads to Omaha with trusted options.

“I think the bullpen’s in better shape than it (was) in the beginning of the year,” said closer Zach Daniels, who said he’s embracing the thought of being this year’s Nick Hibbing or Josh Martsching. “A lot freshmen have stepped up.”

Nick Nelsen is the submarine-style right-hander to get Iowa out of a jam. Grant Judkins can be a long reliever to chew up innings. And then there’s Brady Schanuel.

The presumed ace of this year’s staff struggled for weeks and lost his rotation spot upon McDonald’s return. Now in the bullpen, his 96 mph fastball seems to have more control.

Though it was only eight pitches, a dominant relief inning Saturday against Penn State gave Heller comfort that he has an interesting bullpen wild card — one that’s also seasoned for a starter's-length outing.

“I really liked what I saw on Saturday. He came in and just blew it out. He was free and easy,” Heller said. “And it was the most relaxed I’ve seen Brady in a long, long time.”

A tournament dilemma: How quickly do you burn the bullpen?

Heller laughed when this question came up. Over 30-plus years, he’s consistently gone back to the same decision in tournament situations, even though — as he put it — it’s like punching yourself in the gut.

The approach if a key pitcher is struggling?

Heller will pull him.

The full answer is telling of the Hawkeyes’ mentality for the week.

“You’ve got to win that game. And if you burn guys, you burn them,” Heller said. “You’ve got to get to that next day. And every win is important for us, not just to win the tournament but to try to increase our chances of getting an at-large bid. You can’t really hold guys back.

“That’s the first thought that comes into your head. ‘If I use him, then what about tomorrow?’ And there is no tomorrow in our case. We’re just going to try to win every game."

As Heller finished his answer, he laughed one more time.

"If we use them all the first day," he said, "we’ll figure it out.”

The whole column: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...llgeyer-rick-heller-michigan-omaha/629598002/

Minnesota is a worthy champion; like Iowa, they only played 8 games vs the 5 worst teams in the league. AND they won all 8 B1G series they played (4 of the 8 series were sweeps).

Minnesota has to be the clear favorite to win this tournament.

It also shows that Iowa, besides Minnesota, was the only team with a winning record vs the other tourney teams at 8-6. Ohio State was 9-9 and everyone else sub .500

It also shows that Iowa, besides Minnesota, was the only team with a winning record vs the other tourney teams at 8-6. Ohio State was 9-9 and everyone else sub .500

Iowa has beaten every B1G tourney team at least once; hopefully they can put it all together (offense, defense, pitching) and win the dang thing!

Hopefully the place is filled with Hawk fans too! But 9 am on Wed is not exactly a good time for a baseball game! LOL

Reactions: hersh236
Iowa has beaten every B1G tourney team at least once; hopefully they can put it all together (offense, defense, pitching) and win the dang thing!

Hopefully the place is filled with Hawk fans too! But 9 am on Wed is not exact a good time for a baseball game! LOL
Exactly! I’m there from Thursday on so we might as well just win it!

so, you are predicting Iowa and Minny in the final ?
I wouldn’t be surprised. But, the last 2 Year’s an 8 seed has gotten there so maybe Minny gets knocked off! I just hope Iowa’s recent tourney success helps them get to Sunday.

I wouldn’t be surprised. But, the last 2 Year’s an 8 seed has gotten there so maybe Minny gets knocked off! I just hope Iowa’s recent tourney success helps them get to Sunday.
i kinda like our pitching depth all the sudden; now if we get the offense going again

i do think its going to be a wild tournament; anything can happen in baseball

i have faith in Heller; he seems to have the right touch

Reactions: hersh236
It also shows MSU is NOT worthy.

MSU isn't a particularly good baseball team but which team is more worthy among the bottom 5?

I mean . . . some team has to be the #8 seed, right?

MSU is 3-6 against the top 8 teams. Nebraska is likely the best team that is sitting on the outside looking in. They went 5-10 against the top 8 teams but went 0-2 against MSU.

Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St. and Northwestern are not more worthy than MSU.

MSU isn't a particularly good baseball team but which team is more worthy among the bottom 5?

I mean . . . some team has to be the #8 seed, right?

MSU is 3-6 against the top 8 teams. Nebraska is likely the best team that is sitting on the outside looking in. They went 5-10 against the top 8 teams but went 0-2 against MSU.

Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St. and Northwestern are not more worthy than MSU.

My point is more, of the top 8 teams, which is not like the others? MSU seems far of from the rest of the field.

I posted this in the lounge, but with all the talk over the last week here, I'm copying it to this thread. Then I'm out for a while. I have duties at a couple conference tournaments.

#1) I think it's beyond great that Iowa fans are beginning to pay more attention to college baseball. What Coach Heller and his staff are doing has been a huge (and long overdue) breath of fresh air for the sport and the athletes that deserve just as much attention as football, basketball and wrestling.

#2) Unlike football and basketball, there is no one centralized figure head or national resource that college baseball fans can turn to. So when you look at one particular outlet and it's writers, understand that is just their opinion. All the respect in the world to Kendall Rogers, Aaron Fitt, Eric Sorenson, etc. But to follow them like the towns-children did the pied piper is the wrong approach.

I've stressed this in some previous threads....and this will be the last time I do it (at least for this season)....these guys aren't 100% accurate. They do swing and miss.

I have had the fortune of knowing and talking to several former selection committee members. They all say the same thing.

There is no one/singular metric that determines if a team gets a bid. Obviously a team's RPI figures into it. But record among Top 50 & Top 100 teams is also a factor. Just like in basketball--so are "bad" losses. A winning record within your conference is a big factor. So is percentage points--did you not play as many games as other teams due to: weather cancelations, etc.

When the committee meets the toughest and most intense conversations are often centered around "the eye test". Example: This usually comes when comparing the 4th or 5th ranked team in the Big Ten or Missouri Valley against the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC or ACC.

It's not as mechanical as many of you are thinking or have been led to believe.

SO COME UP FOR AIR!!

With what happened last weekend around the nation, it did not bode well for the Big Ten. Ohio St. played it's way down a seed (possibly back on the bubble) by losing to Michigan St. Michigan has been taking on water for weeks. Illinois has gained some ground, while Iowa likely has been treading water.

The realistic over/under for NCAA bids for the Big Ten is 4. Minnesota and Indiana (despite their conference record) are good. That means in Omaha this week you have 5 teams: Iowa, Illinois, Ohio St., Michigan and Purdue who are all fighting for the last 2 bids.

With what happened in the SEC last weekend Mississippi St. and South Carolina almost assuredly claimed 2 more at large bids, and LSU could do the same if they have a strong showing at the conference tournament.

As others have mentioned, The Hawkeyes almost certainly need to reach the championship game just to get on the right side of the bubble. Even then it will still be dicey.

Good luck to Coach Heller and the program. They will need to earn it this week

Reactions: funnyfletcher
It’s gonna be hot as hell this weekend so I think playing the 9 am or 9 pm games wouldn’t be the worst thing.

I posted this in the lounge, but with all the talk over the last week here, I'm copying it to this thread. Then I'm out for a while. I have duties at a couple conference tournaments.

#1) I think it's beyond great that Iowa fans are beginning to pay more attention to college baseball. What Coach Heller and his staff are doing has been a huge (and long overdue) breath of fresh air for the sport and the athletes that deserve just as much attention as football, basketball and wrestling.

#2) Unlike football and basketball, there is no one centralized figure head or national resource that college baseball fans can turn to. So when you look at one particular outlet and it's writers, understand that is just their opinion. All the respect in the world to Kendall Rogers, Aaron Fitt, Eric Sorenson, etc. But to follow them like the towns-children did the pied piper is the wrong approach.

I've stressed this in some previous threads....and this will be the last time I do it (at least for this season)....these guys aren't 100% accurate. They do swing and miss.

I have had the fortune of knowing and talking to several former selection committee members. They all say the same thing.

There is no one/singular metric that determines if a team gets a bid. Obviously a team's RPI figures into it. But record among Top 50 & Top 100 teams is also a factor. Just like in basketball--so are "bad" losses. A winning record within your conference is a big factor. So is percentage points--did you not play as many games as other teams due to: weather cancelations, etc.

When the committee meets the toughest and most intense conversations are often centered around "the eye test". Example: This usually comes when comparing the 4th or 5th ranked team in the Big Ten or Missouri Valley against the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC or ACC.

It's not as mechanical as many of you are thinking or have been led to believe.

SO COME UP FOR AIR!!

With what happened last weekend around the nation, it did not bode well for the Big Ten. Ohio St. played it's way down a seed (possibly back on the bubble) by losing to Michigan St. Michigan has been taking on water for weeks. Illinois has gained some ground, while Iowa likely has been treading water.

The realistic over/under for NCAA bids for the Big Ten is 4. Minnesota and Indiana (despite their conference record) are good. That means in Omaha this week you have 5 teams: Iowa, Illinois, Ohio St., Michigan and Purdue who are all fighting for the last 2 bids.

With what happened in the SEC last weekend Mississippi St. and South Carolina almost assuredly claimed 2 more at large bids, and LSU could do the same if they have a strong showing at the conference tournament.

As others have mentioned, The Hawkeyes almost certainly need to reach the championship game just to get on the right side of the bubble. Even then it will still be dicey.

Good luck to Coach Heller and the program. They will need to earn it this week

Thanks for the context. I kind of see the Big Ten the same way. Minnesota and Indiana should feel good about getting in no matter how they do this weekend. Minnesota could host a regional with a strong showing at the BTT. I think the Iowa-Michigan game this morning is a de facto elimination game for at-large NCAA berth. Michigan's resume stinks. Of course, the loser this morning could come back and win the whole thing, but unlikely. OSU also desperately needs a win over Purdue. The loser of OSU-Purdue will be under heavy pressure to win some more games.

Reactions: non-poster
Thanks for the context. I kind of see the Big Ten the same way. Minnesota and Indiana should feel good about getting in no matter how they do this weekend. Minnesota could host a regional with a strong showing at the BTT. I think the Iowa-Michigan game this morning is a de facto elimination game for at-large NCAA berth. Michigan's resume stinks. Of course, the loser this morning could come back and win the whole thing, but unlikely. OSU also desperately needs a win over Purdue. The loser of OSU-Purdue will be under heavy pressure to win some more games.

A loss wouldn't end an at large chance imo. The loser would have to make it til Saturday though.

It’s gonna be hot as hell this weekend so I think playing the 9 am or 9 pm games wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Yeah, hot and humid! Once dew points hit the 60's, the air is getting humid. If dew points were in the 70's it would be Florida like tropical conditions.

High/Low & Dew pts for Omaha, NE

91/69 Wed w/ 62-64 degree dew pts
90/69 Thur w/ 64 degree dew pt
92/66 Fri w/ 64 degree dew pt
96/67 Sat...will we still be playing?
94/68 Sun...will we still be playing?

Last edited:
Reactions: funnyfletcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT