ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, PAC, ACC Alliance formally announced Tuesday

What do you think Iowa State will become in a few years? They will be relegated to MAC level.
Im guessing they'll join the AAC. Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, OK St, ISU, KST, etc. Not a bad conference.

Iowa will need those 2 At-large games to be at home with 5 road games already built in. I don't see ISU agreeing to that.

Not in the new proposed format.

8 B1G
1 ACC
1 PAC12
2 At-large
Which for someone like me who hates us playing in L'Ames is great. 4 home BIG games one of the alliance games means the other 2 games both need to be lesser teams to get us to 7 home games.

Reactions: iahawks10
As long as there are two or three big games every week that draw serious eyeballs the SEC will be better than fine.

SEC has so many huge names they should be able to have two or three huge games every week.
But vs who? Who are other big teams that would bring TV viewers that aren't in ACC, B1G, PAC12, and SEC. ND clearly, but then who?

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Iowa-Iowa State series. Assuming the regular season stays at 12 games, Iowa will have 5 road games already built into the schedule even before Iowa State. That means that if the series continues as is, Iowa would only have 6 home games every other year. I'm not sure that would be acceptable to certain people in the athletic department and the local business community.
Tell ISU it’s a 2-for-1, take it or leave if. And if they balk, cut them loose.

I don’t know how Iowa is set up legislatively, but why wouldn’t they? Both are state schools, no?

As for the alliance, I look forward to visiting some Big 10 and Pac 12 schools. It would even be fun to come to Iowa City to chase around some Florida 5’s aka Iowa 9’s.
An HROT meet up in either IC or Tally could be a lot of fun. I want to eat Trad’s bbq and call him a dumbass to his face 🙂

if ISU stays relevant as a good to great (a la Iowa most years), I’m happy with the series continuing.
Let's be honest - if ISU stays good to great, it is nothing but bad for Iowa on every level. Recruiting, fanbase, whatever. Sure, Iowa can take care of all of that themselves by just trying harder and beating them every year, but tell that to the fans of the other in-state Power 5 schools in Ohio, Louisiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Missouri. Oh wait...

Tell ISU it’s a 2-for-1, take it or leave if. And if they balk, cut them loose.
They'd have to agree to play every game in IC. We'd only have 5 Home games if the speculated format is true. Those 2 At-large games would have to be at home to get to 7...no way we are playing less than 7 home games a year and no way ISU would agree to that.

This series is over if the circulated format is true.

Let's be honest - if ISU stays good to great, it is nothing but bad for Iowa on every level. Recruiting, fanbase, whatever. Sure, Iowa can take care of all of that themselves by just trying harder and beating them every year, but tell that to the fans of the other in-state Power 5 schools in Ohio, Louisiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Missouri. Oh wait...

Here come the folks to tell you how great it is to play a quality non-conference opponent because it’s good for that (irrelevant) SOS.

Im guessing they'll join the AAC. Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, OK St, ISU, KST, etc. Not a bad conference.
Right, and the AAC recently signed their TV contract-- $1B/12 years. That comes to about $8M per school per year or roughly 1/5th of what the Big12 currently pays out per school per year. Essentially they will be living off a Covid budget.

Here come the folks to tell you how great it is to play a quality non-conference opponent because it’s good for that (irrelevant) SOS.
Hopefully I can save them the time by replying "yes, we don't necessarily want ISU to go 0-12 every year (although I would find that glorious), but anything above 7-5 is scientifically proven to not be good for us".

Reactions: iahawks10
Hopefully I can save them the time by replying "yes, we don't necessarily want ISU to go 0-12 every year (although I would find that glorious), but anything above 7-5 is scientifically proven to not be good for us".

I don’t see a problem with them 0-12, myself. But that’s just me. Call me crazy, call me a pervert……

But vs who? Who are other big teams that would bring TV viewers that aren't in ACC, B1G, PAC12, and SEC. ND clearly, but then who?
Each other
Texas
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Oklahoma
A&M
LSU
Auburn

those teams alone give you plenty of combinations. Toss in other SEC teams that having a good year or personalities like Kiffin and Leach and you are gold.

Big Ten in prime time almost always needs Michigan, Ohio St, or Penn State to be playing each other or the SEC looks way better to Joe Six Pack on his couch.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Exactly.

This alliance gives Iowa the leverage to finally bury ISU football once and for all. Now it’s a question if they have the cajones to deal the death blow.

Exactly.

This alliance gives Iowa the leverage to finally bury ISU football once and for all. Now it’s a question if they have the cajones to deal the death blow.

Until Iowa State,KState/KU, etc.... finds their way into one of these P5s when it's all said and done. It's not like this gonna be set in stone this week.

So I will state the obvious; Why not just take the final step? Have the Alliance and SEC move past the NCAA and get football out of the picture. Keep the conferences for other sports.

Honest question - how will it increase revenue and hurt ESPN - SEC? Seems you need more than an alliance.
Cause without the alliance, teh schools in the SEC could dictate how the playoffs would be set up, claim larger tv contracts.

Now, the alliance out numbers them 2 to 1.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Each other
Texas
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Oklahoma
A&M
LSU
Auburn

those teams alone give you plenty of combinations. Toss in other SEC teams that having a good year or personalities like Kiffin and Leach and you are gold.

Big Ten in prime time almost always needs Michigan, Ohio St, or Penn State to be playing each other or the SEC looks way better to Joe Six Pack on his couch.
Yeah - but honestly, that is boring. over and over, because rest of list is Vanderbilt, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Piss, Miss State, South Carolina and Tennessee, and more important to ratings and flair: the foot print is meh its basically Civil War South States

ACC/PAC12/BIG gives you Coast to Coast nationwide coverage and a plethora of match ups all intriguing, at a much better class of academic schools I might add:

Iowa
Florida State
Ohio State
Oregon
Washington
Clemson
USC
Virginia Tech
Michigan
Notre Dame (i feel they are part of this due to alliance with ACC)
North Carolina
Stanford
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Colorado
Georgia Tech
Arizona
Miami
UVA
Arizona State
Boston College
Utah
Louisville
Penn State
Duke
Northwestern
Cal
Michigan State
Purdue

The audio says KState and OK State to the PAC12. WVA to the ACC and KU and ISU to the B1G (“probably”).
The ACC has denied WV for about 50 years. Why would they take em now. And KU and ISU offer the big ten nothing. Nadda. Zip. So why add them and decrease your payout? We'd be more likely to add USF over ISu.

The ACC has denied WV for about 50 years. Why would they take em now. And KU and ISU offer the big ten nothing. Nadda. Zip. So why add them and decrease your payout? We'd be more likely to add USF over ISu.

I was repeating what Dave Wannstedt said in the audio linked. He was at the Fox meeting in LA errrrrr Phoenix with a lot of B1G people there.

The tweet attached only mentions KU and KSU.

Not a lot. According to this research (which didn’t include all teams just current P5 plus possible Big 12 expansion targets)

the best teams for tv viewership outside of the ACC, Big Ten, PAC and SEC (including OU and Texas) are:

19 Oklahoma State
24 TCU (which is better than I thought, perhaps the ACC should target them and one other Texas or Oklahoma school)
30 West Virginia
35 Baylor
37 Texas Tech
44 Iowa State
46 BYU
50 Houston
51 Kansas State
58 UCF
59 Memphis
62 Boise State
64 Cincinatti
66 USF
70 Kansas
73 SMU

I think that shows why the news articles saying “Kansas to the Big Ten” was such a laughable joke.

Yeah - but honestly, that is boring. over and over, because rest of list is Vanderbilt, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Piss, Miss State, South Carolina and Tennessee, and more important to ratings and flair: the foot print is meh its basically Civil War South States

ACC/PAC12/BIG gives you Coast to Coast nationwide coverage and a plethora of match ups all intriguing, at a much better class of academic schools I might add:

Iowa
Florida State
Ohio State
Oregon
Washington
Clemson
USC
Virginia Tech
Michigan
Notre Dame (i feel they are part of this due to alliance with ACC)
North Carolina
Stanford
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Colorado
Georgia Tech
Arizona
Miami
UVA
Arizona State
Boston College
Utah
Louisville
Penn State
Duke
Northwestern
Cal
Michigan State
Purdue
Your list is like a who’s who of shit teams that nobody cares to watch besides about four or five and USC isn’t playing a half dozen out of conference games a year.
Big ten makes their money on people paying a monthly fee regardless if they ever watch sports. SEC is about games people actually want to watch.

this scheduling agreement doesn’t expand that “pay every month regardless”. Oklahoma and Texas adds at least 6 more made for prime time games every year at a minimum.

I don’t know how Iowa is set up legislatively, but why wouldn’t they? Both are state schools, no?

As for the alliance, I look forward to visiting some Big 10 and Pac 12 schools. It would even be fun to come to Iowa City to chase around some Florida 5’s aka Iowa 9’s.
Why do you hate teeth so much?

Live look in at SEC / ESPN HQ during the press conference:

200.gif

Reactions: goldmom
Iowa legislators have made comments over the years, but I don’t believe any legislation has ever been seriously considered. It would be a fascinating legal battle if they tried to enforce something on the schools.
Oh, methinks back in the early 70's it was quite serious. Serious enough to have the UIowa finally agree to some games. You never know what these pols are thinking...and they have the "power" to do all kinds of stupid shit.......and sometimes they do.
I think the talk got crazy enough where the UIowa camp decided it was easier just to schedule the damn game....and then afterISU was beating the shit out of them, it became a "point of honor" for the school........Its a pretty good annual game, honestly......better than playing UTEP, New Mexico St, Drake, Middle Tennessee St.....

As long as there are two or three big games every week that draw serious eyeballs the SEC will be better than fine.

SEC has so many huge names they should be able to have two or three huge games every week.
The SEC is the Donald Trump of college football. They have a quality product, as long as they have 'bama. They are attention whores....I think the B10, Pac12 and ACC will be fine as long as they remember to do what they do well. If they start thinking they are the SEC, they are asking for trouble.
The SEC will be constantly "poaching" for members.....Clemson, FSU, Carolina's.....when (and if) the opportunity avails itself.

Tell me about these huge SEC names. There are 8 blue bloods of college football. 3 reside in the SEC in Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas (notice two of these are not even in the SEC yet). Michigan, Ohio State, and Nebraska in the BIG, though the Husker start is fading fast and they are on the verge of losing status. Notre Dame. USC.

The SEC is so overrated and full of themselves. For every SEC name you throw out there is a program in the BIG that will match up with them. Now the BIG is lined up with the other remaining 2 Power conferences and Notre Dame. The SEC is effectively surrounded and the Alliance can completely put them in a box. Inside their little sandbox they will beat each other (.500 record) and the only OOC games they can get will be FCS/G6, meaning not very good programs.

I've read Finebaum squawking about the Alliance. He's running his mouth about it because he's an SEC shill and he knows what the new landscape means for the SEC.

Tell me about these huge SEC names. There are 8 blue bloods of college football. 3 reside in the SEC in Alabama, Oklahoma, and Texas (notice two of these are not even in the SEC yet). Michigan, Ohio State, and Nebraska in the BIG, though the Husker start is fading fast and they are on the verge of losing status. Notre Dame. USC.

The SEC is so overrated and full of themselves. For every SEC name you throw out there is a program in the BIG that will match up with them. Now the BIG is lined up with the other remaining 2 Power conferences and Notre Dame. The SEC is effectively surrounded and the Alliance can completely put them in a box. Inside their little sandbox they will beat each other (.500 record) and the only OOC games they can get will be FCS/G6, meaning not very good programs.

I've read Finebaum squawking about the Alliance. He's running his mouth about it because he's an SEC shill and he knows what the new landscape means for the SEC.
LSU, Auburn, Florida and Georgia are pretty good often enough to be considered perienial powers, are they? Add A/M to that mix, too. Plus now, the SEC will get two great rivalry games added to the schedule yearly.....Tex/OU and Tex/ A&M. Good gets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT