ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Power Rankings - Post Week 2

mill1634

HB All-American
Jul 11, 2018
East
1. Penn State (2-0, vs Auburn) - Penn State rolled over Ball State this weekend, but the game wasn't super telling. Penn State was 20+ point favorites, and Ball State is an average MAC squad. A top 25 matchup against Auburn next Saturday will tell us more.
2. Ohio State (1-1, vs Tulsa) - Ohio State were 14.5 point favorites, which everyone knew was far too many, against what will be a top 8 team. The defense can't stop anything on the ground, but the offense is high powered and the defense is likely going to come along some point.
3. Michigan (2-0, vs Northern Illinois) - Michigans defense was flying around against the Huskies, but it's hard for me to tell the quality of either of their first two opponents. Western Michigan isn't too great, and Washington, who lost to Montana, didn't look too great on offense. Need another prove it game from Michigan before I move them up
4. Maryland (2-0, @ Illinois) - Again, hard to take anything away from this, but Maryland beat a decent WVU team last week, and demolished a poor Howard 63-0. They kick off B1G play next week, and should be on their way to 3-0.
5.Indiana (1-1, vs Cinci) - Another B1G team who played a horrible team. Indiana destroyed a horrible Idaho team, 56-14. They relied on the ground game a lot, and the defense is good. They have a very tough challenge in a top 10 team, and it will be a pivotal game for Tom Allen and the 2021 Hoosiers.
6. Michigan State (2-0, @ Miami) - Michigan State knocks off FCS Youngstown St., looking good against poor competition. They have a huge game coming up against Miami on the road, and a win would go along way in proving that the Spartans have made strides in year two under Mel Tucker
7. Rutgers (2-0, Delaware) - Rutgers came out of week 2 with an ugly, ugly win over lowly Syracuse in a game that was 0-0 at the half. I had them 6 last week, but Michigan State has looked good against B1G opponents. We'll see if Rutgers can get to 3-0.

West
1. Iowa (2-0, vs Kent State) - We all know the story of the Hawks Back to back weekends of beating a top 25 team, and this time against our hated rivals. The defense is possibly the best under KF, and the special teams are as good as ever.
2. Wisconsin (1-1, bye) - Wisconsin comes off the lost next week against everyones favorite directional Michigan school. The Badgers dominated the line on both sides of the ball, which isn't worth talking about as it's expected.
3, Minnesota (1-1, @ Colorado) - Minnesota didn't look too great against Miami OH, and they're without the best back in the country, but for now they stay here. I expect them to lose in Boulder next week, and it may be the start of the boat sinking.
4. Purdue (2-0, @ Notre Dame) - Purdue played easily the worst FBS team in the country, but they took care of business. They have a chance to knock off a Notre Dame team who gave up 7 sacks to Toledo, and would put the rest of the West on notice that they're going to stick around all year.
5. Nebraska (2-1, @ Oklahoma) - Nebraska has bounced back against Fordham, which is expected, but also Buffalo, who was popular among underdog betting circles. I expect them to get absolutely steam-rolled this upcoming weekend, and I look forward to every minute of it. Until then, they're ahead of NW.
6. Northwestern (1-1, @ Duke) - Northwestern struggled again against a poor FCS team. The Wildcats didn't rely on the passing game too much, as Johnson was just 9/16 for only 66 yards including an INT. This is a team they should've dominated by even much more, but didn't.
7. Illinois (1-2, vs Maryland) - Wow. This team is not good. They gave up 400 yards in the air, and another 130 on the ground. The offense couldn't move the ball through the air, and UVA was fine giving up 4 YPC on the ground. I would be semi-shocked if this team won more than one more game the rest of the year.

Overall
1. Iowa +1
2. Penn State +1
3. Ohio State -2
4. Michigan
5. Wisconsin
6. Maryland +2
7. Minnesota -1
8. Purdue -1
9. Indiana
10. Michigan State +1
11. Rutgers -1
12. Nebraska +1
13. Northwestern -1
14. Illinois

What are your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News