ADVERTISEMENT

***Big Ten Tournament Session IV Thread***

Why do religious people feel the need to publicly preach their religion when a microphone is put in front of them though? IMO it’s a personal thing unless in a place of worship. Publicly thanking a god for an athletic accomplishment is cliche.
Why do athletes feel the need to publicly thank their family when a microphone is put in front of them though? IMO parents, siblings, and other family members are a personal thing unless in a home. Publicly thanking a parent for an athletic accomplishment is a cliche.

Why do athletes feel the need to publicly thank their family when a microphone is put in front of them though? IMO parents, siblings, and other family members are a personal thing unless in a home. Publicly thanking a parent for an athletic accomplishment is a cliche.
Parents are in the stands, have spent time and money and support for their kids. god isn’t picking winners and losers in an athletic competition.

Parents are in the stands, have spent time and money and support for their kids. god isn’t picking winners and losers in an athletic competition.
Brooks, Carr, and others are confident that God is in the arena and that He spent time and effort for His children, so why would Brooks, Carr, and others not thank God if those athletes would also thank their families?

Parents aren't picking winners and losers in the athletic competition, so that can't be your reason for being ok with athletes thanking parents but not with athletes thanking God.

Parents aren't picking winners and losers in the athletic competition, so that can't be your reason for being ok with athletes thanking parents but not with athletes thanking God.

Huh? They thank their parents for their support, time, money, and love. All tangible.

They don't thank their parents because their parents granted them the win from the heavens.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Huh? They thank their parents for their support, time, money, and love. All tangible.

They don't thank their parents because their parents granted them the win from the heavens.
Actually, if you listen closely, most of them aren’t even thanking God for the win. They are thanking him for the opportunity and essentially for the life they have. Most of it is pretty tame. Many of them come from rather strict Christian religions where proselytizing is heavily encouraged, if not mandated.

If they want to thank God for 10 seconds and it is truly that important to their mindset, I don’t see how it should bother anybody…

None of the Big 10 champions thanked God "for the win" today. At least one of the wrestlers said in his interview that his view is that God did not care whether the wrestler won or lost. In the past, Kyle Snyder, Aaron Brooks, and David Carr have all thanked God, not for the win, but for the peace that comes with understanding that winning and losing are not the most important thing. If you have an example of Snyder, Brooks, or Carr thanking God for granting a specific win or title, I would be very surprised.

Time and love are not tangible from parents any more than time and love are tangible from God.

Actually, if you listen closely, most of them aren’t even thanking God for the win. They are thanking him for the opportunity and essentially for the life they have. Most of it is pretty tame. Many of them come from rather strict Christian religions where proselytizing is heavily encouraged, if not mandated.

If they want to thank God for 10 seconds and it is truly that important to their mindset, I don’t see how it should bother anybody

Again, if you're ok with Christian proselytizing, you better also be ok with Muslim proselytizing or atheist proselytizing. Yet atheist proselytizing is generally condemned. Can't have it both ways.

Again, if you're ok with Christian proselytizing, you better also be ok with Muslim proselytizing or atheist proselytizing. Yet atheist proselytizing is generally condemned. Can't have it both ways.
But this country was founded on one and not the other. Personally, I don’t care if you scream your love for any religion as long as you aren’t telling me I have to believe what you believe(sort of like what you do about Trump)…

But this country was founded on one and not the other. Personally, I don’t care if you scream your love for any religion as long as you aren’t telling me I have to believe what you believe(sort of like what you do about Trump)…

The country was founded on the separation of church and state.

I only speak facts in regards to the Cheeto. I know we live in a time where people think believing in facts is optional.

Yet, what was and still is printed on the currency?

That just emphasizes the inconsistent and contradictory application of the separation of church and state.

None of that changes the point that we have a society that generally tolerates the public preaching of religion, yet condemns the public preaching of atheism.

Reactions: el dub
Excellent factual point, Vodka. 1776 was the founding of the country. 1776's Declaration of Independence included "endowed by their Creator." 1791 was the year of the 1st Amendment, which had to come as an amendment to the US Constitution, and even that did not establish or demand a separation of church and state.

That just emphasizes the inconsistent and contradictory application of the separation of church and state.

None of that changes the point that we have a society that generally tolerates the public preaching of religion, yet condemns the public preaching of atheism.
The right to be protected from religious persecution has nothing to do with public opinion. An overwhelming majority of people in the US believe in God. Most of them belong in one of the Christian based religions. Of course most of them are going to have issues with people that want to tell them a huge part of the belief structure that drives their daily lives and family structure is made up. You have to be bright enough to understand that, even if you don’t like it…

The right to be protected from religious persecution has nothing to do with public opinion. An overwhelming majority of people in the US believe in God. Most of them belong in one of the Christian based religions. Of course most of them are going to have issues with people that want to tell them a huge part of the belief structure that drives their daily lives and family structure is made up. You have to be bright enough to understand that, even if you don’t like it…

None of that changes that I believe that thanking God in a public interview after an athletic win is cringe and cliche. Just as they have the right to say it in their interview, I have the right to say it's cringe and cliche.

You don't have to agree with me or like my comment. It's my opinion. It's subjective. If you want tolerance of belief, that has to include the belief of non religion as well, or it's just hypocrisy.

Excellent factual point, Vodka. 1776 was the founding of the country. 1776's Declaration of Independence included "endowed by their Creator." 1791 was the year of the 1st Amendment, which had to come as an amendment to the US Constitution, and even that did not establish or demand a separation of church and state.

Cool. Whatever the historical factual record is, I still find it cringe. Send me some thoughts and prayers please.

None of that changes that I believe that thanking God in a public interview after an athletic win is cringe and cliche. Just as they have the right to say it in their interview, I have the right to say it's cringe and cliche.

You don't have to agree with me or like my comment. It's my opinion. It's subjective. If you want tolerance of belief, that has to include the belief of non religion as well, or it's just hypocrisy.
I am completely fine with you not liking it. I even understand why you feel that way. I simply gave my opinion on why a significant majority disagree with you…

Vodka why would it bother you? Its faith. Its god. Nothing wrong with it at all. Marrinelli wore it on his shirt snd always led with it. I respect it. Good kids all.

Reactions: wrstlrev
You need to brush up on your history. This country was not founded on the separation of church and state.

You're right. I should've said contemporary law is the separation of church and state and my personal view is that tolerance of religion should exist (as long as it doesn't violate other's rights), but tolerance of non religion should also exist.

We live in a society where publicly proselytizing is accepted, yet publicly promoting non religion is met with condemnation.

Vodka why would it bother you? Its faith. Its god. Nothing wrong with it at all. Marrinelli wore it on his shirt snd always led with it. I respect it. Good kids all.

I have nothing wrong with their beliefs. I just believe that bringing up your religious beliefs in a public interview after an athletic competition is cringe and cliche.

Why does it bother you that I think that?

No, it wasn't. Plus, that's a quote about keeping the government from interfering with churches.

The country was founded on the principle that each person is endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.

And this whole thing is not about proselytizing. It's about the command to glorify God and thank God. As one posted pointed out, it's no different than thanking parents, school, etc. They're just grateful.

The greatest part of America, imo, is this freedom of speech to do so. I, as a dedicated Christian, would have no problem with a Muslim wrestler thanking Allah.

Reactions: Bogiyev
For all you who are offended and confused that I call thanking God after a win cringe, consider what you'd think if a wrestler won a match and started preaching atheism in their post match interview. You'd wonder what's the relevance to the situation and why the public needs to know. That's how I feel about thanking God during an interview after a sports win.

Maybe that will help you see where I'm coming from.

Reactions: Trapper85
For all you who are offended and confused that I call thanking God after a win cringe, consider what you'd think if a wrestler won a match and started preaching atheism in their post match interview. You'd wonder what's the relevance to the situation and why the public needs to know. That's how I feel about thanking God during an interview after a sports win.

Maybe that will help you see where I'm coming from.
I would have no problem with an atheistic thanking the incalculable amount of blind chance and random circumstances it took to be at this moment in the cosmic universe. NONE.

The ability to do so is what makes this country the best.

Reactions: el dub and hlstone
No, it wasn't. Plus, that's a quote about keeping the government from interfering with churches.

The country was founded on the principle that each person is endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.

And this whole thing is not about proselytizing. It's about the command to glorify God and thank God. As one posted pointed out, it's no different than thanking parents, school, etc. They're just grateful.

The greatest part of America, imo, is this freedom of speech to do so. I, as a dedicated Christian, would have no problem with a Muslim wrestler thanking Allah.

Inheriting, thanking god and jesus or quoting bible verses, etc in public is a form of proselytizing.

Thankfully you're pro free speech so you respect my right to call it cringe I assume.

I would have no problem with an atheistic thanking the incalculable amount of blind chance and random circumstances it took to be at this moment in the cosmic universe. NONE.

The ability to do so is what makes this country the best.

Now consider if 1 out of every 3 wrestlers said it in their post match interview after an athletic win. For many decades.

After a certain point, wouldn't you start to think it's cringe and cliche? Like a PSU guy saying they don't care about winning, they just want to have fun?

Inheriting, thanking god and jesus or quoting bible verses, etc in public is a form of proselytizing.

Thankfully you're pro free speech so you respect my right to call it cringe I assume.
Thanking God is not a form of proselytizing, unless that's the purpose of it. And you don't know their intent. I know for all my kids who participated in sports, and myself, that when I thanked God it was purely to make sure my Creator wasn't snubbed, but honored by me, and not forgotten. For a Christian, not giving glory to God in a moment on the big stage has a bad historical connotation.

Acts 12:21–23 - 21And on an appointed day Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them. 22And the people kept crying out, “The voice of a god and not of a man!” 23And immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died. (NASB)

Herod had killed James the apostle and tried to kill Peter, but that didn't bring God's wrath. But these circumstances of not giving glory to God did. I doubt there's a Christian on earth that thinks if they don't give glory to God on a stage they will die, lol, but it does prioritize things for the Christian.

And notice I just quoted a Bible verse with zero idea of proselytizing.

Of course, I respect your right to cringe.

Now consider if 1 out of every 3 wrestlers said it in their post match interview after an athletic win. For many decades.

After a certain point, wouldn't you start to think it's cringe and cliche? Like a PSU guy saying they don't care about winning, they just want to have fun?
No, I wouldn't cringe. I know the right to that freedom gives me the same right to do my thing. I would indirectly be sad there were now so many Muslims, though.

Thanking God is not a form of proselytizing, unless that's the purpose of it. And you don't know their intent. I know for all my kids who participated in sports, and myself, that when I thanked God it was purely to make sure my Creator wasn't snubbed, but honored by me, and not forgotten. For a Christian, not giving glory to God in a moment on the big stage has a bad historical connotation.

Acts 12:21–23 - 21And on an appointed day Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them. 22And the people kept crying out, “The voice of a god and not of a man!” 23And immediately an angel of the Lord struck him because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and died. (NASB)

Herod had killed James the apostle and tried to kill Peter, but that didn't bring God's wrath. But these circumstances of not giving glory to God did. I doubt there's a Christian on earth that thinks if they don't give glory to God on a stage they will die, lol, but it does prioritize things for the Christian.

And notice I just quoted a Bible verse with zero idea of proselytizing.

Of course, I respect your right to cringe.

I'm trying to understand Christianity some more. Do you have any good bible verses on the antichrist?

For crying out loud, some of you can take the tiniest nugget and derail an entire thread into a religious/political/moral diatribe in an apparent effort to be the first person ever to change someone else's mind on an Internet message board. Hint: you won't. Please, we have enough to argue about when it comes to wrestling. There are endless threads of every variety on the off topic board; I dabble there myself and recommend it for these kind of subjects.

here’s rhe thing - if god is all knowing and such a forgivin dude, then why do we need to blast on tshirts and blather in interviews? he already knows our faith. preaching and throwing it in peopls faces amounts to telling people how to live their life, which makes yoy a douche.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT