ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Question

goldmom

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
More and more it’s being reported as likely that FSU will be joining the B1G - and the question is being asked by FSU fans: How will we be treated as visitors if we show up in numbers like we tend to do (10,000 doing the Chant and the Chop)?
I’ve made the trek to Columbus, Ann Arbor, and also to a few games in Madison (that didn’t involve FSU).
THE OSU folks were okay, Michigan fans were obnoxious and UW people were just drunk.

Thoughts from Iowa? BTW if and when y’all visit us you’ll find a blend of all three. 😉

Reactions: Finance85
More and more it’s being reported as likely that FSU will be joining the B1G - and the question is being asked by FSU fans: How will we be treated as visitors if we show up in numbers like we tend to do (10,000 doing the Chant and the Chop)?
I’ve made the trek to Columbus, Ann Arbor, and also to a few games in Madison (that didn’t involve FSU).
THE OSU folks were okay, Michigan fans were obnoxious and UW people were just drunk.

Thoughts from Iowa? BTW if and when y’all visit us you’ll find a blend of all three. 😉
From my experience:

Penn State - Like Shit
Wisconsin - Like Shit
Northwestern - Only ones there
Nebraska - Very kindly, great hosts
Iowa - Great before the game, Great after the game if Iowa wins, 50/50 if Iowa loses

Link to "more and more?"

From my experience:

Penn State - Like Shit
Wisconsin - Like Shit
Iowa - Great before the game, Great after the game if Iowa wins, 50/50 if Iowa loses
Penn State fans are notoriously awful. Nebraska fans are notoriously nice.

Reactions: pink shizzle
From my experience:

Penn State - Like Shit
Wisconsin - Like Shit
Ohh Wisconsin fans were awful when we played them in that bowl game in Orlando. Glad we shut them up.

Reactions: blackbones
From my experience:

Penn State - Like Shit
Wisconsin - Like Shit

Add:

Michigan - Have to say, well treated before and after
OSU - Not so well
Iowa - I think we treat opposing fans well even after a home loss - I haven’t seen much stupid shit unless you are a drunk 19 year old talking the talk

Reactions: Moral and millah_22
I don't think FSU fans will overtake any Big Ten stadium in larger numbers than any of the other passionate Big Ten fanbases, so they'll be treated just fine.

With respect to Neb, having attended games at Nebraska back to the '90's, Nebraska fans were much "nicer" when they were winning. Now they are a mixture of ambivalent (some may even say apathetic), nice, and nasty (pretty much reflective of most fanbases). I think Iowa fans are at least as "nice" as Neb fans these days (unless you are a Penn State player faking an injury).

Penn State fans are notoriously awful. Nebraska fans are notoriously nice.
Nebraska fans are the best fans I've ever run into on the road, with (surprise) Alabama fans a close second. Buckeye fans reminded me of a group of non-redneck Stinkin' Gators. Michigan fans weren't that bad to me (though in one game we put a serious butt whippin' on them, so that might account for it). Beyond the Stinkin' Gators, I'd have to put Notre Dame as the worst when I've been there. I'd like to say Miami fans are worse, but there simply aren't enough of them to be totally accurate.

As some others have said, state penn fans are the absolute worst. I ****ing despise that fan base.

Other than those turds, I haven’t really had any problems. Wisconsin fans can be obnoxious, especially night games. But I am pretty sure you could say the same thing about Iowa fans. I had great experiences in Nebraska and Michigan.

Add:

Michigan - Have to say, well treated before and after
OSU - Not so well
Iowa - I think we treat opposing fans well even after a home loss - I haven’t seen much stupid shit unless you are a drunk 19 year old talking the talk
I have gone to around 200 games in Kinnick and I can only count maybe 2-3 times where I thought Iowa fans were harassing other fans. I have seen Iowa fans respond to opposing fans who come into the stadium talking shit though, but they brought the smacktalk onto themselves.

I don’t know how fans would take to the FSU chop. Probably drown it out. Kinnick gets insanely loud.

Reactions: win4jj
Nebraska fans are the best fans I've ever run into on the road, with (surprise) Alabama fans a close second. Buckeye fans reminded me of a group of non-redneck Stinkin' Gators. Michigan fans weren't that bad to me (though in one game we put a serious butt whippin' on them, so that might account for it). Beyond the Stinkin' Gators, I'd have to put Notre Dame as the worst when I've been there. I'd like to say Miami fans are worse, but there simply aren't enough of them to be totally accurate.
ND fans are unique and not in a good way. And it’s not just when FSU is involved. I went to a ND -
Navy game once - Navy won - and the ND fans were horrible losers. The folks I was with were Academy grads and were gracious winners even when the ND fans were throwing fits.

I don't think FSU fans will overtake any Big Ten stadium in larger numbers than any of the other passionate Big Ten fanbases, so they'll be treated just fine.
This is the correct answer. You aren't taking any stadium over for a game big enough worth travelling from Florida.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
And it’s always windier than $hit there.
I've been to Shampoo-Banana probably a dozen times and think it was only sunny once and only dry like 4 times.

It's a dreary, desolate shithole on the prairie.

I know U of Illinois is a very good academic school, but man how depressing to spend 4 or more years of the prime of your life there.

I've been to Shampoo-Banana probably a dozen times and think it was only sunny once and only dry like 4 times.

It's a dreary, desolate shithole on the prairie.

I know U of Illinois is a very good academic school, but man how depressing to spend 4 or more years of the prime of your life there.
My no pic daughter just graduated from that dump. GREAT school for STEM majors (she did data science and got a great job), but absolute shit hole of a college town. Downtown IC is orders of magnitude more appealing. Despite being a much smaller school IC has more bars, better restaurants, more entertainment venues. Thankfully I never have to step foot in Champaign again.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT