ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk can't shut up about Florida State....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit and the Florida State fanbase have been at blows after comments made by Herbstreit about FSU's historic snub from the College Football Playoffs garnered uproar from across the country.

It seems the Ohio State alumni would like to change the narrative and walk back statements made before, during, and after the selection process in which he rallied to replace FSU with either Texas or Alabama despite them having a perfect 13-0 season and winning the ACC. Herbstreit went on The Coach JB Show to talk about the situation.

"We should be lifting Florida State up. This is one of their best seasons that they've had, and they're undefeated. I don't know how this whole thing, like I've been a Florida State guy -- in the era that I grew up with Deion Sanders, I mean, how could you not be drawn to Florida State and the brand, and Bobby Bowden was the most lovable big-time coach there was. I've always been a Florida State guy. Even their uni's, their look, they've just been my team. For people to kind of insinuate that I'm out to get Florida State is the most ridiculous thing."

After a somewhat veiled approach and nearly in the same sentence, he again criticized the fanbase after the Seminoles' decline following the 2013 BCS National Championship.

"At the end of the Jimbo [Fisher] era, before Willie [Taggart], they just kind of lost their way. They became super individuals. They became all about the league, all about getting to that next level," Herbstreit said. "I think it took them maybe five or six years, even when Mike [Norvell] first got there, they had that cancer within that program, and it took him, if you remember, that first couple of years right around COVID, people wanted him to be fired."

After Fisher left Florida State for Texas A&M, FSU fans and the university found themselves in a coaching search for the first time since they hired Bowden as a head coach in 1973. Fans wanted multiple coaches to fill the vacancy and multiple candidates were vetted during Florida State's head coaching search. Herbsreit said that the fanbase should appreciate where they are at 13-0.

"I mean, they wanted Deion Sanders. They wanted anybody. Their own fans that are killing me right now, they were killing Mike Norvell. They thought he was a bomb and that he couldn't coach," Herbstreit continued. "So, it is kind of is what it is, but that is a rabid fan base that has to really appreciate where they just were just a couple of years ago to where they are right now, and Mike Norvell deserves all the credit to what he's been able to pick up because they were lost as a brand for about five or six years."

No. 5 Florida State will face No. 6 Georgia in the Orange Bowl on December 30 at 4:00 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN.

There were very few FSU fans that wanted Norvell fired; most readily acknowledged that Jimbo left us a mess and that Willie, while doing a decent job of getting us out of the situation we were in with poor academic performance that didn't allow for the housecleaning that was neeed, was in over his head.
Were there concerns in year 2, when we were 0-4 & lost to Jacksonville State? Of course, understandably so. But about the only people I really heard calling for him to be run were those who really liked Willie & thought he should have been given more time.
Oh, and screw you Herbie.

Kirk was a BIG 10 homer, by his own admission, the first couple of years at ESPN. He also loved the u. Then he had some colleagues show him the public perception, and to his credit, Herbie looked at himself and changed. He's spoken about this publicly.

This year, he made a mistake. He bought into the ESPN push, and has struggled to rationalize the inconsistencies in the BCS committee's logic.

He'll be dealing with the backlash for a year.

Kirk was a BIG 10 homer, by his own admission, the first couple of years at ESPN. He also loved the u. Then he had some colleagues show him the public perception, and to his credit, Herbie looked at himself and changed. He's spoken about this publicly.

This year, he made a mistake. He bought into the ESPN push, and has struggled to rationalize the inconsistencies in the BCS committee's logic.

He'll be dealing with the backlash for a year.
He’s become a company man, for sure.

I used to like him but he’s become annoying.

I used to say that he was a clown but after his plastic surgery on his lips, he actually is a clown now

You'll be dead from a Marijuana overdose within 5 years, wouldn't call that perfect.
But the marijuana has warped my brain so much that in my eyes I'm perfect.

pff.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT