ADVERTISEMENT

Baer - love him but he isn't a BigTen starting SF

Buddehawk

Team MVP
Jan 19, 2016
His Big Ten spot is where he was earlier in his career. 6th man off the bench scoring/rebounding with hustle and effort.

He isn't athletic or physical enough to handle the other Big Ten starters he faces. Quick guys go around him / stronger guys out muscle him.

Agree with the OP. Advanced stats show a huge decline in conference play compared to past year coming off the bench.

This year his PER is only 15.4 and WS/40 is only .059. Last year he was well above average at 20.4 and .141.

Interesting enough, Garza is the only player with solid all around advanced stats at 20.6 PER and .154 WS/40.

Cook has a good PER at 23.2 but his defense is so bad that his WS/40 is a below average .085.

While I agree I think you should be coming off the bench should be more valuable. I do think he's quite athletic if you look the way he rebounds I would definitely not call him on athletic. For whatever reason he's not shooting as well this year and he could probably use 15 to 20 more pounds but he is not a problem to have on this team at all

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
His Big Ten spot is where he was earlier in his career. 6th man off the bench scoring/rebounding with hustle and effort.

He isn't athletic or physical enough to handle the other Big Ten starters he faces. Quick guys go around him / stronger guys out muscle him.

Then who is better on this Iowa roster? You have Cook and Jbo--who else is a Big Ten talent if not Nicholas Baer who, as you know, was the Sixth Man of the Year for the entire Big Ten Conference last season. And that honor was not handed out by his mom or by Iowa fans, nor was it handed out because he was too slow, too weak, or unathletic. :rolleyes:

So if not Nicholas Baer, who? That's right...nobody. There are an amazing number of problems with this Iowa team, but Mr. Baer sure as hell ain't one of 'em.

Iowa currently has 2-3 Big Ten caliber players on the roster. Are we going to make individual threads about each of the other ones? Are we going in alphabetical order?

That’d just it, most of Iowa’s players are marginal at best and when you don’t teach them to defend or block out on shots, it magnifies the poor play and lack of talent with each player.

Look at Wisconsin most years, they have marginal players but they defend, block out, and play with heart and energy. Iowa’s don’t do any of this.

Iowa currently has 2-3 Big Ten caliber players on the roster. Are we going to make individual threads about each of the other ones? Are we going in alphabetical order?
Obviously not since there isn’t one about Austin Ash.

Then who is better on this Iowa roster? You have Cook and Jbo--who else is a Big Ten talent if not Nicholas Baer who, as you know, was the Sixth Man of the Year for the entire Big Ten Conference last season. And that honor was not handed out by his mom or by Iowa fans, nor was it handed out because he was too slow, too weak, or unathletic. :rolleyes:

So if not Nicholas Baer, who? That's right...nobody. There are an amazing number of problems with this Iowa team, but Mr. Baer sure as hell ain't one of 'em.

Are you serious? Baer: 6.1 ppg, 31% from 3, 46% free throw shooter, 40% fg. Plenty of problems there if you ask me.

Baer is a gap filler. In that respect, he’s as good as the other starters around him. But I think you might get your wish next year as JW will fill in some gaps of his own that are beyond what Baer can do.

He wasn’t meant to be in the position he’s been forced into. Just thank god he walked on

I'd say Nick Baer is probably 'the Leader' of this team, right now.
There's no senior leadership, so he's providing that, as well.

By the way, very good to see Isaiah Moss respond to Fran's
benching him in first half, with a great 2nd half, last night.

GO HAWKS :)

Bo Ryan was a blue collar, lunch bucket coach who
demanded defensive effort from his players at Wisconsin.
IF you would not play defense then you did not play at all.
Bo had a system and his players had to adhere to it.

Oh yeah----Bo 'had a system' bringing folks on the Road that
everyone adhered to................:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t say Moss got benched, he just picked up his second foul.

Committing an utterly stupid 2nd foul probably didn't sit well with Fran.

I'm no coach...but I guarantee that was brought up at halftime to Moss. "You just put our team in a very bad spot with that idiotic foul, son."

We saw Baer and Uhl at the 2 for several total minutes in the first half last night when Moss went out. That was the ripple effect of that push by Moss.

It was SO unnecessary. Ridiculous. You absolutely cannot do that, Isaiah.

After the half, Moss came out more focused, aggressive, and in control. It was the Moss this team badly needs right now. It needs Moss to play like the 2nd half in every game, all 40 minutes.

If Moss can give this team a steady, focused 30 minutes, a lot of this team's issues are resolved.

If you want to question a starter, you should focus first on Moss. Explain why he starts, please. Sure, he has a good game here and there, but most of the time he's invisible on both ends. And yes, he played well in the second half, but where has he been most of the season? Again, there are plenty of places to look for problems on this Iowa roster, but I'd have to start with the coaching staff that assembled that roster and that has shown little ability to teach simple basketball fundamentals.

Not worried about Nick Baer. He always contributes (Steals, blocks, hustle) and is the Smartest guy on the floor.

More worried about the 2 guard who only had 2 points at Nebraska.
He needs to bring his game every night........not take games off

GO HAWKS :)
Yeah, can't agree on the smartest player on the floor. Makes a lot of dumb fouls.
But he is a leader and he works his butt off foe this team and that makes his very appreciated.

Reactions: blhawk
IMO - Baer is 3/4 minute guy to allow a starter to get short rest. This year he is making bad decisions with the ball, not shooting well, and often out of position (typically after being on the floor too long). I personally would prefer MD as the starter the rest of the year and spot Baer where it makes sense. Obviously, a great young man but it does not appear he can play effectively for long periods of time.

Reactions: blhawk
IMO - Baer is 3/4 minute guy to allow a starter to get short rest. This year he is making bad decisions with the ball, not shooting well, and often out of position (typically after being on the floor too long). I personally would prefer MD as the starter the rest of the year and spot Baer where it makes sense. Obviously, a great young man but it does not appear he can play effectively for long periods of time.
Agreed. And I think this team as a whole suffers from the same thing. Mist of their fouls happen when they are gassed playing too long of stretches at a time.
Fran has always seemed to like to ride the hot group then the next thing you known they miss a bunch of shots in a row, don't play D and give up a big run. Then when the starters come out they stay out too long and the run grows.
More swap outs, less time on the bench for the top 5-6 guys.

F
Agreed. And I think this team as a whole suffers from the same thing. Mist of their fouls happen when they are gassed playing too long of stretches at a time.
Fran has always seemed to like to ride the hot group then the next thing you known they miss a bunch of shots in a row, don't play D and give up a big run. Then when the starters come out they stay out too long and the run grows.
More swap outs, less time on the bench for the top 5-6 guys.
Fran seems to struggle with the substitution concept of replacing one, maybe two, versus line swaps. The line swaps more times than not kill any momentum and other teams go on a run.

F

Fran seems to struggle with the substitution concept of replacing one, maybe two, versus line swaps. The line swaps more times than not kill any momentum and other teams go on a run.
Watching him I think he gets caught up in the game and doesn't see the guys dragging. And I'm certain he has guys on the team he is disappointed in their progress and is hesitant to put them in. A couple of those guys can cover 2-3mins and not cause too much damage but the one line up last night , for way too long , was flat bad. One of the Assts should have brain dusted Fran and said look who you have out there together.

Committing an utterly stupid 2nd foul probably didn't sit well with Fran.

I'm no coach...but I guarantee that was brought up at halftime to Moss. "You just put our team in a very bad spot with that idiotic foul, son."

We saw Baer and Uhl at the 2 for several total minutes in the first half last night when Moss went out. That was the ripple effect of that push by Moss.

It was SO unnecessary. Ridiculous. You absolutely cannot do that, Isaiah.

After the half, Moss came out more focused, aggressive, and in control. It was the Moss this team badly needs right now. It needs Moss to play like the 2nd half in every game, all 40 minutes.

If Moss can give this team a steady, focused 30 minutes, a lot of this team's issues are resolved.

^^^
Jordan Bohannon, Cook, Garza & Baer bring 100% every night.......
Isaiah appeared to be In Sync in the 2nd half and that was great to see!

^^^
Jordan Bohannon, Cook, Garza & Baer bring 100% every night.......
Isaiah appeared to be In Sync in the 2nd half and that was great to see!
I thought Moss and Nunge showed what they need to do in the 2nd half for this team to move forward. Disappointed in Dailey of late because he seems to have hit a wall and he could be very useful to have playing strong and confident again to finish out this season

I thought Moss and Nunge showed what they need to do in the 2nd half for this team to move forward. Disappointed in Dailey of late because he seems to have hit a wall and he could be very useful to have playing strong and confident again to finish out this season

Maishe hit a nice 3, last night, plus had a nice Steal and dunk.

Starting to look more and more like a taller version of Gail Goodrich.

:)

Maishe hit a nice 3, last night, plus had a nice Steal and dunk.

Starting to look more and more like a taller version of Gail Goodrich.

:)
Just has to keep his confidence up and stay aggressive. He has the tools and can hit the shots and handle enough to hold his own with most guys.

I agree with those who say Baer isn't our problem. He may not be as good because he was hurt. Take that into consideration because if you're not 100% can you play as good?! Heck no....Pemsl is starting to step it up, Moss had a good second half, but will he next game? So OP this is dumb to knock one of our hustling players that seems to be every where.

Baer has two problems that he needs to fix on his own.
#1. His FT shooting is horrible. Below 50%. That has to improve.
#2. He needs to stop shooting 3s early in the shot clock. His percentage is not good and it is mainly because he isn't shooting many of them in the flow of the offense. Most of his makes are because the ball got passed around until it gets to him when he's open. This year he's been forcing a lot more 3s and the only player on our team that should be doing that is JBo.

The minutes played is out of his control, so I don't put that on him. But it is obvious that he's best when he comes in for 3-4 minute spurts three or four times each half. That would allow him to get a handful of hustle buckets on offense and bring his controlled chaos on defense.

Love Baer and glad he is on our team. But he often gets himself out of position on defense which leads to buckets for the other team. He does get his share of poke aways and steals though so you have to live with some of this. He at times is really slow to close out on the 3 point shooters and that upsets me. Can't fault him for his energy and the way he always plays hard.

That’d just it, most of Iowa’s players are marginal at best and when you don’t teach them to defend or block out on shots, it magnifies the poor play and lack of talent with each player.

Look at Wisconsin most years, they have marginal players but they defend, block out, and play with heart and energy. Iowa’s don’t do any of this.

I thought we just beat Wisconsin by 18 points. I must be mistaken.

The team, as constituted today, creates problems for each other vs. complimenting each other. Moss showed up in the 2nd half, but may not show up again for 3-4 games. This puts more pressure on Bohannon because Moss won't take open shots and Bohannon has to bail him out. Moss' inability to drive further exposes Bohannon. If your 2 is going to be wildly unpredictable, then that puts more pressure on Baer, who isn't a 3 point shooter, but is being asked (it appears) to shoot them. This negates his strength, which is crashing the glass, getting put backs, etc. Without these types of baskets, Baer is not much of a threat to score (and he is shooting 46% from the free throw line).

Outside of Bohannon, I have the most confidence in Garza from the perimeter. Nunge is less a deer in the headlights the past couple games and if he can block a couple shots and score 6-10, that mitigates the dependency on Moss and Baer if one or the other is off.

The team, as constituted today, creates problems for each other vs. complimenting each other. Moss showed up in the 2nd half, but may not show up again for 3-4 games. This puts more pressure on Bohannon because Moss won't take open shots and Bohannon has to bail him out. Moss' inability to drive further exposes Bohannon. If your 2 is going to be wildly unpredictable, then that puts more pressure on Baer, who isn't a 3 point shooter, but is being asked (it appears) to shoot them. This negates his strength, which is crashing the glass, getting put backs, etc. Without these types of baskets, Baer is not much of a threat to score (and he is shooting 46% from the free throw line).

Outside of Bohannon, I have the most confidence in Garza from the perimeter. Nunge is less a deer in the headlights the past couple games and if he can block a couple shots and score 6-10, that mitigates the dependency on Moss and Baer if one or the other is off.
IMO the team is almost ready for Nunge to be the starting 3 and Baer to come in off the bench to pick them up as they falter at the 16-14 min mark. Give the starter 2 min and back in for someone else. The team has done a better job getting the ball up the court without JB ans that needs to happen more. Moss can start but if he isn't aggressive early Dailey gets his minutes. He may be getting the point. We'll see. Pemsl has settled as a short term help for Garza but better is he gets help on the better bug guys. Hes just savvy enough to not get bulled over and still get a few points.

Baer is not a/the problem right now. If anything I would look toward Moss, who plays cowardly at times and with zero defensive effort whatsoever. The dude just literally gives up on defense and does nothing. No effort. Pemsl has looked iffy for part of the season as well but he really stepped up vs. Minnesota.

I dont think the OP was picking on Baer by saying he isnt a starting caliber bten SF and definitely not saying hes the singular problem like some posters are asserting....said he loved Baer. But the fact we dont have anyone better to start in front of him could be one of the many reasons we are 3-8. I love his effort but below 50 pct from line? Cmon. I agree hes better off the bench, hopefully that will be his role next yr. Good player but not a bten starter IMO

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT