ADVERTISEMENT

Baked Mac N' Cheese-give me your recipes

JWolf74

HR Legend
Jan 22, 2012
DSM
Now I'm sure a few of you will be eating parts of my mother this Thanksgiving. The rest of us would like to enjoy some baked mac n' cheese.

Please provide your best recipes. TIA.

GUEST_b1ff61a8-5c4c-4a66-b574-15a34bdf31c1

Reactions: McLovin32
From the “ how to micrwave a turkey” thread, I’d either wrap it in tin foil before placing in your microwave to cook,

or

after mixing everything up, freeze it, then quickly drop it in a deep frier. Best if performed in the middle of your kitchen.

Reactions: JWolf74 and Moral
Mac and cheese is one item I don't eat, but make a good one and don't have a recipe. Just boil some macaroni, make a roux and add some milk and various cheeses from the fridge, mix together, make a topping and bake.

Melt butter, like half a stick, in a big saucepan/pot. Add about a quarter cup of flour. Whisk for a couple-three minutes or until roux gets at least a golden brown. Slowly add a couple cups of milk. Bring just to a boil (a few big 'bloops'). Heat on low. Add a little cayenne pepper, salt, pepper. Can also add some garlic powder or onion powder depending on personal preference. Add whatever cheeses you want (no pre-shredded stuff and include sharp cheddar; Gruyere and fontina melt nicely)...do not add all the cheese all at once...add a small handful at a time. When all cheese has been added and is melted, add cooked pasta (this pasta has to be al dente or just shy of...no completely cooked pasta for baked pasta) and stir to combine. Pour into baking dish. Melt a little butter, mix with breadcrumbs and crispy crumbled bacon, spread on top of mac and cheese, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 or until pasta is bubbly and topping is browned to desired doneness.

If your smoking a bird throw the mac n cheese in there for the last hour.
One technique I saw on a smoking forum was for au gratin potatoes on the green egg and it called to cook the dish underneath a ham on the plate setter and let some of the ham juices drip down. I imagine this would work well for Mac and cheese as well.

Reactions: McLovin32
One technique I saw on a smoking forum was for au gratin potatoes on the green egg and it called to cook the dish underneath a ham on the plate setter and let some of the ham juices drip down. I imagine this would work well for Mac and cheese as well.
Pretty sure Q Dogs here in CR does this with their party potatoes. I approve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT