ADVERTISEMENT

Man with severe dairy allergy sues McDonald’s, alleging cheese on Big Mac caused anaphylactic reaction

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
I don't like pickles. Every time I order a #1 from Chick-Fil-A, I order it without pickles. I check every.single.time and they get it right about 80% of the time and I do not have an allergy to pickles.

Sounds like the guy in the lawsuit doesn't understand the concept of trust but verify. If my life's on the line, I'm not putting it in the hands of a minimum wage, likely high school employee. But that's just me. Maybe peeling that bun back takes longer than I'm thinking it does.

Man with severe dairy allergy sues McDonald’s, alleging cheese on Big Mac caused anaphylactic reaction​

Elizabeth Chuck
Mon, February 5, 2024 at 6:44 PM CST·4 min read

A man with a life-threatening milk allergy has sued McDonald’s alleging that a slice of American cheese on his Big Mac caused him to have a severe allergic reaction.

Charles Olsen placed an order for a Big Mac meal without cheese through the food delivery platform DoorDash in February 2021 from a New York City McDonald’s, according to the lawsuit, which was filed Friday and first reported by The Daily Beast. The legal complaint included a copy of Olsen’s online order, which showed he had checked “No American Cheese” when he placed it.

Olsen, 28, of Rockland County, New York, had ordered “this specific meal from this same McDonald’s through DoorDash multiple times before and never had a problem with it,” said one of his attorneys, Jory Lange Jr., whose Texas firm specializes in food safety cases.

“They had always made it without cheese when that had been requested in the past, so he thought this would be safe,” Lange said.
But after a few bites of his meal, says the lawsuit, which was filed in New York Supreme Court, Olsen “immediately felt like something wasn’t right. His throat began to itch and swell. He felt a burning sensation throughout his body. He looked at his girlfriend, Alexandra, and coughed, ‘There’s milk in this!’”

Within minutes, Olsen’s body was covered in hives and his breathing became labored, the lawsuit adds. It says that as Olsen gasped for air, his girlfriend rushed him to the hospital, where he was “on the brink of needing intubation to save his life” and was admitted for anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction that can be deadly if not treated immediately.

Doctors were able to stabilize and discharge Olsen after several hours, the lawsuit says.
Charles Olsen. (Courtesy Charles Olsen)

Charles Olsen. (Courtesy Charles Olsen)

McDonald’s Corp. declined to comment on the lawsuit. The Colley Group, which owns the McDonald’s franchise that prepared Olsen’s meal and is also a defendant, said in a statement Monday: “Nothing is more important than the safety of our customers. We take every complaint seriously and are actively reviewing these claims.”

DoorDash, which is not a defendant, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how it handles allergens.

McDonald’s Big Macs contain two beef patties topped with pickles, lettuce, onion, dairy-free sauce and a slice of American cheese. When Olsen ordered his meal, there was no way for him to convey to McDonald’s that he was removing the cheese because of a medical reason, rather than because of a preference, said his other attorney, Scott Harford.

“There was no option for him in there indicating about an allergy,” Harford said.

In an exclusive statement to NBC News, Olsen said he filed the lawsuit in hopes of “holding food establishments accountable.”

“Allergies should be such a simple thing to be able to cater to as an establishment. There’s no reason why it can’t be clearly listed, options aren’t included when making an order to indicate allergies, and the staff properly trained to handle such a simple thing,” he said by email. “No one should have to fear for their health when they’re just trying to eat a meal.”

Lange called the incident “completely avoidable” and a “traumatic experience” for Olsen. He said that Olsen has recovered physically but that “this is something that still causes him concern, still causes anxiety, when it comes to getting food from restaurants.”
The lawsuit, which seeks monetary damages and a jury trial, accuses McDonald’s of breaching its duty to “produce food that was safe to eat.”

Milk allergies are different from lactose intolerance, which is characterized by nausea, cramps, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms after dairy consumption that are uncomfortable but not life-threatening. With a milk allergy, a person’s immune system overreacts, triggering symptoms from rashes to wheezing to anaphylaxis.

About 2% of children in the U.S. have milk allergies, according to the Mayo Clinic, and while many outgrow them, some do not. In those cases, the only way to prevent allergic reactions is to avoid milk and products that contain milk or milk proteins, the Mayo Clinic says, adding that people with milk allergies should have epinephrine auto-injectors, known as EpiPens, on hand in case of accidental ingestion. Olsen had an EpiPen, but he did not have it with him at the time of his incident, Lange said.

The McDonald’s lawsuit is not the only one focused on milk products filed against a major food chain in recent months. A lawsuit filed in December against doughnut and coffee chain Dunkin’ argues that it is discriminatory to charge customers who cannot consume cow’s milk extra for milk substitutes, such as oat milk. Dunkin’ did not comment on that lawsuit.

Seems like a complete lack of personal accountability to me. Yeah, they shouldn't have screwed up the order. That said, they're low-wage McDs workers, not health care professionals, and it doesn't seem like they had knowledge that the issue was an allergy. In that absence, it should have been on him to make sure.

But, it's America, so I'm sure he's going to get paid for almost killing himself... Moron.

It says that as Olsen gasped for air, his girlfriend rushed him to the hospital, where he was “on the brink of needing intubation to save his life”

He was almost intubated? So they just gave him epinephrine? And he’s suing?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Remember the father who went crazy after a milk shake or juice place got nuts in his son‘s drink. Granted the guy was coming back from the ER. It’s a fact of life if u have serious enough allergies . Some things u just don’t get to partake in. Or u need to make your own food, snacks, drinks, whatever.

It’s a square piece of cheese on a round burger and bun. You don’t even have to remove the bun to see the corners of the cheese sticking out. Hell, there’s usually a bunch of cheese stuck to the inside of the packaging. How the hell did he not notice it before taking a single bite, let alone several bites?

It’s a square piece of cheese on a round burger and bun. You don’t even have to remove the bun to see the corners of the cheese sticking out. Hell, there’s usually a bunch of cheese stuck to the inside of the packaging. How the hell did he not notice it before taking a single bite, let alone several bites?
"...and that, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is why Mr. Olsen is an idiot. The defense rests."

It says that as Olsen gasped for air, his girlfriend rushed him to the hospital, where he was “on the brink of needing intubation to save his life”

He was almost intubated? So they just gave him epinephrine? And he’s suing?
And they had time to drive him to the hospital, rather than calling 911 and having the help brought to him faster.

Honestly if you’re eating at McDonald’s do u want to even look at the food?

Reactions: TDJ7
How does someone with that severe of an allergy not check for cheese and carry an Epi-Pen?

And they had time to drive him to the hospital, rather than calling 911 and having the help brought to him faster.
These two will probably do him in. My son has a life-threatening peanut allergy. The epipens are meant to keep him breathing until the ambulance arrives.

This guy also didn’t seem concerned about cross contamination, which would be reason enough not to order from McDonalds if your allergy was life-threatening.

My wife is allergic to corn and corn starch. She can sense it almost immediately when something is amiss ... but not always. Her reaction is exactly the same as what the claimant described.

There is not much at McDonalds' that she can eat.

Interestingly enough, they do seem to have lists of ingredients at hand when you ask about specific menu items. The times we have inquired, the store managers seemed informed on handling inquiries relating to food allergies.

I found it notable that the allergy sufferer in this story did in fact know what McDonalds used in their cheese. This had come up before, and he considered the risk to be handled by checking the little box.
..............................................................................................

The best way to fight against these kinds of allergies is to load your kids up on all sorts of junk food while they are still really young. This way they will develop a natural immunity.

We all know that the cutest thing going is a fat little three-year-old munching on a Big Mac.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT