ADVERTISEMENT

Barta agrees to 2-3 Friday night games over next 5 years. Iowa city only agrees to Labor Day Weekend

millah_22

HR Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
Well Boyz, looks like the Hawks will be playing on Friday nights. Sorry if you got boys playing HS games on Friday nights.

Barta probably should have consulted with some others in the university administration before making a statement like that. I know for a fact there's some upset folks at the VP level that knew nothing about this.

Does the Nebraska game not count as a Friday game or does it have to be at night?

Also, this is stupid and Sonos having the Nebraska game on Friday.

Reactions: naturalmwa
For those angry, we were going to play some fridays no matter what, bitching about that seems like a lost cause. the fact its only labor day weekend is great news.

Wasn't this part of the "new contract" with the BTN? I thought I remember reading that there would be games on friday nights?

So all these schools that don't want to play on Friday, do they take a pay-cut? If I am the Big Ten I think so, I would pay a little more $$ to the schools who play on Friday night.

I think its stupid, but the Big Ten Conference agreed on it and you know they do not like changing their minds once made up (legends & leaders). So its something we are going to have to deal with.

How funny would that be if on a Friday night Kinnick only got 35-40k in there for a game. Old barta would love that.

Barta probably should have consulted with some others in the university administration before making a statement like that. I know for a fact there's some upset folks at the VP level that knew nothing about this.

One thing I know we should all care about is how some unqualified political twats feel about this

After this year attendance will decline and now we will have Friday games with even fewer fans. With UIHC this is just an idiotic idea. Another craptastic idea from our AD
Parking and traffic around Kinnick and UIHC will. E a complete cluster. I may go ahead and request the day off.

Why is Labor Day weekend Friday better than others? Iowa high schools play that day, don't they? And it's not like UIHC is closed that day. Mid November makes more sense, since high school season is over except a few teams in playoffs - and those could maybe be rescheduled to avoid Friday as much as possible.

Is the TV contract for these to be conference games only, or some non-con? Wyoming has 9/23 open next year. I wonder if we'll see PSU game moved to Labor Day Friday and Wyoming moved to 9/23? Not sure PSU 9/2 opponent has the flexibility, though.

If you are not a marquee school in the B1G I do not think there is much choice in this matter. It's Delaney telling Barta you will be doing this. That's how you get the paycheck and we all know you need this especially with a dwindling fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT