ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Regional Games Thread. #2 IOWA vs #3 N. Carolina at #14 Overall Seed Indiana St (Terre Haute) Regional (June 4, 11 am CT, ESPN+) *****

well IA goes down 1-2-3 like little leagers facing live pitching for the 1st time in their lives oh well on to next season. this was a good season but it sure ended up leaving a very bad taste or shall we say wasted season.
Aren't you the person that gets mad at others for being negative?

Reactions: littlez
Hindsight 20/20, but as it turned out letting the foul ball drop instead of a sac fly (if in fact he chose that instead of just not getting a good jump on the ball), cost a run. Then sending Seegers instead of leaving bases loaded, one out cost us at least one run on the infield hit that followed and still would've had bases loaded, one out all over again. Doesn't mean they'd have won, hitting more people than any team ever probably means you deserve to lose, but they made some poor self-inflicted errors. On the flip side, they won 44 games this year and arguably played better after the suspensions, so tip of the cap.

Hope ISU gets shelled at super regionals
I'm a little worried.

TCU has been hot lately, but we've seen how quickly that can change. Arkansas has also looked really vulnerable despite being the #3 overall seed. They have to beat Santa Clara just to get another crack at TCU after losing 20-5.........

Hindsight 20/20, but as it turned out letting the foul ball drop instead of a sac fly (if in fact he chose that instead of just not getting a good jump on the ball), cost a run. Then sending Seegers instead of leaving bases loaded, one out cost us at least one run on the infield hit that followed and still would've had bases loaded, one out all over again. Doesn't mean they'd have won, hitting more people than any team ever probably means you deserve to lose, but they made some poor self-inflicted errors. On the flip side, they won 44 games this year and arguably played better after the suspensions, so tip of the cap.
Just gotta clean up a few things before next game next year. That's baseball.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Sad to see this Cinderella story end. I don't think anyone expected the Hawks to do what they did this year. Admittedly, I only ever tuned in once to listen, but when I did we lost embarrassingly to Maryland. So I've only kept up by monitoring the Twitter account and watching the highlights throughout the season.

But my interest is definitely piqued with this team and the grit they have. I'll definitely try to tune in next year.

You can’t give another team 16 baserunners without them hitting their way on base and expect to win a game.

And, frankly, it wasn’t just the number of balls thrown, it was the number of balls thrown that weren’t competitive pitches.

Heller and McGrath preach winning the 0-0 count. Not going to 2-0. Getting to 1-2. Rarely happened.

Disappointing end to a really fun year. We’ll all be left wondering what could have been with that missing bat in the lineup and if Heller could have gone to a key producer in the bullpen. Those ultimately proved to be key absences against ISU. Maybe good for a few more runs in both games and maybe a shut down inning in the 8th inning yesterday.

Cheers all.

Bottom line for me is you can’t give up free bases (Walks/HBP) well into double digits and expect to win, Gotta make you opponent earn runs vs giving runs away
Really good season and hopefully Rick and staff will shore up holes during the offseason.

You can’t give another team 16 baserunners without them hitting their way on base and expect to win a game.

And, frankly, it wasn’t just the number of balls thrown, it was the number of balls thrown that weren’t competitive pitches.

Heller and McGrath preach winning the 0-0 count. Not going to 2-0. Getting to 1-2. Rarely happened.

Disappointing end to a really fun year. We’ll all be left wondering what could have been with that missing bat in the lineup and if Heller could have gone to a key producer in the bullpen. Those ultimately proved to be key absences against ISU. Maybe good for a few more runs in both games and maybe a shut down inning in the 8th inning yesterday.

Cheers all.
Thanks for all the work you put in this season. I am a casual fan for sure, but you (and Fran) drew me in to the season like a moth to the flame. I look forward to next year, and your posts. Again, thanks for making Iowa baseball, and RPI baseball, interesting.

Sad to see this Cinderella story end. I don't think anyone expected the Hawks to do what they did this year. Admittedly, I only ever tuned in once to listen, but when I did we lost embarrassingly to Maryland. So I've only kept up by monitoring the Twitter account and watching the highlights throughout the season.

But my interest is definitely piqued with this team and the grit they have. I'll definitely try to tune in next year.

They should be very good again next season

Bottom line for me is you can’t give up free bases (Walks/HBP) well into double digits and expect to win, Gotta make you opponent earn runs vs giving runs away
Really good season and hopefully Rick and staff will shore up holes during the offseason.
what holes? their top pitchers will be back and other than Doorighi will/might be back. as he is the only SR in the starting lineup.

but just for interest sake where are these holes that you speak of?

Thanks for all the work you put in this season. I am a casual fan for sure, but you (and Fran) drew me in to the season like a moth to the flame. I look forward to next year, and your posts. Again, thanks for making Iowa baseball, and RPI baseball, interesting.
Agree. Much kudos to aurorahawk for all the updates thru 60 Hawkeye games...great to have truly passionate Hawkeye baseball fans like him to generate support for our beloved Hawkeyes!
Now summer officially here...Go Hawks!

Ya know, it's been glossed over when Iowa was winning, but that stat about being 0-13 (now) when scoring 4 or fewer runs this season, as coincidental as it may seem............................................that's kind of a big f***ing problem, and one you might wanna fix in the future and not just "hope it doesn't happen again".

Especially if you wanna buck the trend of, oh say, your entire BAU pants-sh***ing history in college baseball.

Can't have nice things if you can't win low-scoring games.............at all.

Good luck changing that over the next 3 games since I've seen nothing to suggest this team is gonna find a way to score more than 5 runs against UNC or Indiana State in any of those games! :D
Welp, how'd this scoring pan out?

IA pitcher combined to hit 10 ISU batters, the IA pitcher were not that bad, can't tell me ISU batters could not have avoided being hit. its almost as it those batter knew the umpire was not going stop them.

giving ISU a unfair advantage. also only 1 IA batter was hit. hmm a 10-1 advantage

IA pitcher combined to hit 10 ISU batters, the IA pitcher were not that bad, can't tell me ISU batters could not have avoided being hit. its almost as it those batter knew the umpire was not going stop them.

giving ISU a unfair advantage. also only 1 IA batter was hit. hmm a 10-1 advantage
Not their responsibility to avoid being hit. Hitters just can’t move into the path of a pitch, like they were called for once.

Reactions: HawkAlum2002
Not their responsibility to avoid being hit. Hitters just can’t move into the path of a pitch, like they were called for once.
yes it is the hitters responsibility to avoid being hit some have already forgot the batter in a recent game who was hit started toward 1st base and the umpire called back to the plate.

used to be what was chin music pitches for those type of batters that get hit by leaning over the plate to get hit. or as some say a brush back pitch.

pitchers start to go head hunting after awhile.

I guess fair is fair, they want to get hit and some pitcher will oblige. after they get hit around their chins its amazing how fast they learn how to stay in the batters box.

that's why they made the helmets with that chin guard,

All Super Regional matchups......

Alabama (42-19) at Wake Forest (48-10)
Texas (39-20) at Stanford (40-17)
Kentucky (37-18) at LSU (44-15)
Tennessee (39-19) vs. Southern Mississippi (44-18)

South Carolina (41-19) at Florida (45-14)
Duke (36-21) at Virginia (46-12)
Oral Roberts (48-11) at Oregon (38-20)
Indiana State (43-15) at TCU (38-22)

yes it is the hitters responsibility to avoid being hit some have already forgot the batter in a recent game who was hit started toward 1st base and the umpire called back to the plate.

used to be what was chin music pitches for those type of batters that get hit by leaning over the plate to get hit. or as some say a brush back pitch.

pitchers start to go head hunting after awhile.

I guess fair is fair, they want to get hit and some pitcher will oblige. after they get hit around their chins its amazing how fast they learn how to stay in the batters box.

that's why they made the helmets with that chin guard,

"yes it is the hitters responsibility to avoid being hit"

Unfortunately the rule doesn't agree with your opinion.

The Rule (NCAA): NCAA changed Rule 8.2.d.1 after the 2018 season to penalize the batter with a strike and not awarding first base if, in the judgment of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located. The guideline goes on to say that if a batter freezes in the box and is hit by the pitch, he shall be awarded first base (prior to 2019, the penalty would simply be a dead ball):

"yes it is the hitters responsibility to avoid being hit"

Unfortunately the rule doesn't agree with your opinion.

The Rule (NCAA): NCAA changed Rule 8.2.d.1 after the 2018 season to penalize the batter with a strike and not awarding first base if, in the judgment of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located. The guideline goes on to say that if a batter freezes in the box and is hit by the pitch, he shall be awarded first base (prior to 2019, the penalty would simply be a dead ball):
Thanks CID. Most people like that who complain about the rules don’t actually know the rules.

when was the rule about standing outside the Batters Box change?

if the rules have changed the pitchers should be allowed to throw brush back pitches or a few chin music pitches

like I said maybe some chin music would change these batters tune pun intended. I had a pitcher that was not afraid of throwing a couple of chin music pitches. or as I called them brush back pitches.

once had a pitcher ask if he could put a pitch in the umps grill right between the eyes.

told he could and should not ever do that, but after all these years I have reconsidered my stance and now I think maybe a pitcher should drill them right between the eyes to maybe make them read the rules and enforce them like they were written in the 1st place.

excuse me but 10 hit batters in one game something is wrong.

All Super Regional matchups......

Alabama (42-19) at Wake Forest (48-10)
Texas (39-20) at Stanford (40-17)
Kentucky (37-18) at LSU (44-15)
Tennessee (39-19) vs. Southern Mississippi (44-18)

South Carolina (41-19) at Florida (45-14)
Duke (36-21) at Virginia (46-12)
Oral Roberts (48-11) at Oregon (38-20)
Indiana State (43-15) at TCU (38-22)
No love lost for Indiana St, but how do you host a 1st round regional but have to go on the road for a Super Regional to a team that wasn't a 1 seed? Doesn't make sense.

No love lost for Indiana St, but how do you host a 1st round regional but have to go on the road for a Super Regional to a team that wasn't a 1 seed? Doesn't make sense.
Conflict with Special Olympics same weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT