ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter

WildTurk

HR Heisman
Jul 25, 2011
Does he take his undefeated record and go wrestle with the big boys as a Senior? Who would stand in his way next year at HWT?

If he goes undefeated he will surely be near the top of the All Timers in Iowa High school wrestling. Especially jumping weights like that. Hopefully he does more freestyle and folkstyle exhibition matches in the offseason. I would pay to watch!

Does he take his undefeated record and go wrestle with the big boys as a Senior? Who would stand in his way next year at HWT?

If he goes undefeated he will surely be near the top of the All Timers in Iowa High school wrestling. Especially jumping weights like that. Hopefully he does more freestyle and folkstyle exhibition matches in the offseason. I would pay to watch!
Nobody is beating him in Iowa at 285. Buss was the best guy in the state this year and he is gone. He is going to be 285 in college so I expect him to get moving on that transition.

Nobody is beating him in Iowa at 285. Buss was the best guy in the state this year and he is gone. He is going to be 285 in college so I expect him to get moving on that transition.
Looked to me like he wasn't a full fledged 220, so he may have to go a bit just to get there. (No idea what he actually weighs) He's a beast regardless.

Reactions: el dub
I would guess his weight really depends on whether he really wants to pursue football and wrestling at the next level. If so he's going to be a HWT for wrestling and will be putting on as much muscle weight and probably a bit of fat as he can in the next 5-6 months. If he decides to just focus on football who cares I guess the FB gets another stellar athlete. If he just focuses on Wrestling I would peg him as a 197.

I’ve just assumed he would concentrate more on football.... in my memory (which isn’t great) The big O was the last guy I remember competing in both and I’m not sure he was as good a football player as Kueter is

either way the Hawks are getting a home grown stud.... given Iowa’s history of developing and putting players like him in the NFL.... he stands to have a nice payday someday

I’ve just assumed he would concentrate more on football.... in my memory (which isn’t great) The big O was the last guy I remember competing in both and I’m not sure he was as good a football player as Kueter is

either way the Hawks are getting a home grown stud.... given Iowa’s history of developing and putting players like him in the NFL.... he stands to have a nice payday someday
No sir. On this board football is secondary! Once Ben wrestles at Iowa, everything else is easy. :)

I would guess his weight really depends on whether he really wants to pursue football and wrestling at the next level. If so he's going to be a HWT for wrestling and will be putting on as much muscle weight and probably a bit of fat as he can in the next 5-6 months. If he decides to just focus on football who cares I guess the FB gets another stellar athlete. If he just focuses on Wrestling I would peg him as a 197.
His frame looks big for 197. Might be a tough cut for him soon

Well he committed to both programs, so there is no reason to believe he won't do both.

Sam Cook did football and wrestling, not sure if it was at the same time though. I'm thinking he was on the football team then quit to join the wrestling team.

He is not a 197 no matter what he focuses on. With that frame he will only get bigger.

Mark Sindlinger did both and his wrestling suffered because he couldn't practice with the team until after their bowl game was over. He was a two-time AA in wrestling (4th and 6th) but could have been better if he was full-time and if the refs would've called stalling at Heavyweight. Oostendorp concentrated on wrestling and saw very limited football playing time.

Borcherding-Johnson from Norwalk and Walker from WSR are the top 2 returning HWT's next year (3rd & 2nd respectively) Kueter bumped up against Gaffney from Linnmar (ranked 3rd at the time finished 7th) and majored him at the dual. If Kueter gets in the 230 range by next season, with his wrestling style, I don't know if there's anyone in the state that can beat him, not sure he'll major either of the returning place winners, but it wouldn't shock me either...

Borcherding-Johnson from Norwalk and Walker from WSR are the top 2 returning HWT's next year (3rd & 2nd respectively) Kueter bumped up against Gaffney from Linnmar (ranked 3rd at the time finished 7th) and majored him at the dual. If Kueter gets in the 230 range by next season, with his wrestling style, I don't know if there's anyone in the state that can beat him, not sure he'll major either of the returning place winners, but it wouldn't shock me either...

If Keuter is 285 I could see Walker going 220 next year. He was a 220 wrestling 285 this year. I think Keuter could an minimum major Johnson today.

Reactions: Gobblin
He beat Walker 5-0 at 195# in the 2021 finals. Word on the street is that Walker went HWY this year to avoid Kueter. There's no one in the state that can beat him this year, let alone next year... and that's regardless of what he weighs.

He beat Walker 5-0 at 195# in the 2021 finals. Word on the street is that Walker went HWY this year to avoid Kueter. There's no one in the state that can beat him this year, let alone next year... and that's regardless of what he weighs.
Big facts.

Kueter is as impressive in the state as they've been the last 40 years, I hope that his plan to do both in college works out for him, hate to see either sport loose out on such a talent...

Reactions: MitchLL and HIWILLE
I think we've seen numerous examples that a HWY can be competitive in the 240-250 pound range. Big Cass as an example this year. I have to think that's about what he would play football at as a LB or maybe DE.

197? Not a chance.

He'll be 235+ next year and probably steamroller through the HWT division, his leg attacks will kill those big boys...just don't get caught underneath them or play the upper body game.

Not to go off topic but Mcrae Hagarty who wrestles 195 from WSR is a 2x(soon to be 3x) and an animal. Are we after him?

Reactions: el dub
Not to go off topic but Mcrae Hagarty who wrestles 195 from WSR is a 2x(soon to be 3x) and an animal. Are we after him?
I'd like to put him in the mix. Has a younger brother who is very good as well. It doesn't bother PSU to have multiple high end guys competing for spots. He looked like he was having fun the end of January with some other Hawks in a photo posted by Mrs. Riggins.

Don't you remember? It's already been determined by a poster on this board that he's a bad teammate because he chose to wrestle at Fargo last year during baseball season. Hopefully between Brands and Ferentz they can coach that out of him! 😉
Yes, he remembers.

19ff2d447a6e2ad58e8e7fb116bc759b.jpeg

This isn’t to say Iowa shouldn’t Recruit him, or that he isn’t talented, but this is a case of a kid being really good in the state, but not a prime recruit in the grand scheme of things. He isn’t ranked in the top 20 at his weight as he hasn’t fared as well nationally as he has locally. He was handled by Kasson’s 182 wrestling up a weight, for instance, who though he’s going to SDSU he’s 19th nationally at 182.

This isn’t to say Iowa shouldn’t Recruit him, or that he isn’t talented, but this is a case of a kid being really good in the state, but not a prime recruit in the grand scheme of things. He isn’t ranked in the top 20 at his weight as he hasn’t fared as well nationally as he has locally. He was handled by Kasson’s 182 wrestling up a weight, for instance, who though he’s going to SDSU he’s 19th nationally at 182.
Thank you.

No offense, but a kid should probably crack the top 300 before coaches put much effort in their recruiting. I’m guessing he wouldn’t be on your radar if he wasn’t from Iowa?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT