ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter?

herkyhawk00

HR Legend
Jan 28, 2008
His name was largely absent in any of the spring football that I read. Is he still at LB or did he get moved to DE? I strongly felt he would be at least 240 now and be turning some heads. Haven’t heard much about him. 🤷‍♂️. Anyone? Anything?

No listing of Kuerter on spring depth chart. Kueter did wrestle last season, moderate success, lacked 'horsepower' to go with top heavyweights. Kueter likely a 'project' for Iowa football staff.

Perhaps he is choosing wrestling full time, sort of like Brecht with baseball.

He probably has more potential from a collegiate success standpoint in wrestling, anyway.

Hasn't seen the football field much due to our depth at LB.

Football will pay the bills, wrestling will not.

Extremely gifted wrestler but he will have little to no success with wrestling if he stays at LB.

If he wants to wrestle at a high level, he will need to put a hand on the ground with football and gain at least 30 pounds.

From the small sample size of this past season, he has potential to be a competitive HWT if his frame can manage at least 270# without losing too much quickness. It's hard to see how he could be lighter than that and stay in it with the top HWTs.
I think he'd be a solid edge in that weight range as well. Might be his sweet spot for both sports if he wants to keep giving it a go.

We have pretty solid LB depth. Fisher is an underrated utility Lber & I think they are pretty high in Sharar and Harrel and we have typically recruited well there

His name was largely absent in any of the spring football that I read. Is he still at LB or did he get moved to DE? I strongly felt he would be at least 240 now and be turning some heads. Haven’t heard much about him. 🤷‍♂️. Anyone? Anything?
Kueter earned a lot of praise last summer and fall (during fall-camp) ... Higgins seemed to rave about him.

However, the truth is that this year Iowa has a bit of a log-jam at LB. You have to remember that Fisher stuck around for another year. The implication is that we have 3 uber-experienced guys in Higgins, Jackson, and Fisher.

In addition to those guys ... Sharar and Harrell have been waiting in the wings for years now. Lastly, just as Fisher was a former walk-on ... walk-ons have had success in our LB room. We have two other really promising LB-types in Rexroth and Telander.

Op top of all that ... Iowa has talented guys in the secondary ... so Phil will invariably keep on having the CASH-based version of our D as the "base." Thus, against most opponents, the majority of our defensive snaps will likely feature 2 LBs (2 ILBs + our CASH). Of course, given that we have a pretty good room ... Seth and Phil will likely create a bunch of sub-packages ... just so the guys can keep hungry.

Lastly, the FR class of LBs that will be hitting campus seem like they'll be really freakin' good. Weisskopf, Buffington, and Ries are some talented, versatile LB-types. Both Buffington and Ries are former QBs ... so their football IQs are likely exceptional. Weisskopf has pretty good hands ... I really wouldn't be shocked if he were to end up at TE (he's definitely an AJ Edds type). On top of all that ... those guys won't be splitting their collegiate attention between 2 sports.

While Kueter is a high-potential guy ... I could see him potentially falling behind in the LB room due to having his divided attentions. Given his passion for wrestling ... maybe he should stick there. I certainly hope that football works out for him though.

He wasn't going to get ahead of the 3 starters. I do hope we have games when some of the 2nd stringers can get in and get good game experience.

Extremely gifted wrestler but he will have little to no success with wrestling if he stays at LB.

If he wants to wrestle at a high level, he will need to put a hand on the ground with football and gain at least 30 pounds.
You have no idea what you are blathering about.

"Little to no success with wrestling if he stays at LB"

Foolish

He Is about 15-20 pounds away from a lot of success. About 245 or so

All the power to BK. Competing at the top level in two ultra competitive and physical sports - is going to be difficult (captain obvious). He’s at a difficult weight to be heavy enough for HWT but not too heavy for linebacker.

I feel like BK will ultimately move to DE and in the long run - should be easier for him to allow his frame to fill out to the 260 range - which we would ideal for DE and HWT.

Wrestling at 240 as a HWT is not ideal. Kudos to BK for having the talent and drive to compete for two grinder sports.

You have no idea what you are blathering about.

"Little to no success with wrestling if he stays at LB"

Foolish

He Is about 15-20 pounds away from a lot of success. About 245 or so

Good luck gaining those “15-20 pounds” after the football season you dumb phuck. Then cut down to the weight he needs to be at for football? Rinse and repeat?

Let me repeat, IF he stays at LB he will NOT have a successful wrestling career.

Phucking fool.

Wrestling certainly can pay the bills. It might not be NFL starter type money, but plenty of guys make a very decent living and there’s no guarantee he makes it to the league. If I was him I’d focus on wrestling which seems to be what he’s best at, although certainly a talented football player as well

Wrestling certainly can pay the bills. It might not be NFL starter type money, but plenty of guys make a very decent living and there’s no guarantee he makes it to the league. If I was him I’d focus on wrestling which seems to be what he’s best at, although certainly a talented football player as well
This

Ben Kueter would or will be a better wrestler than football player.
He is a world champion in wrestling.
He is just another stud linebacker among hundreds of others in football
but I hope he does great in football too, don't get me wrong.

A rational, down-to-earth projection for Kueter is he will develope into a Joe Evans (type) athlete. Hard work, time in weight/nutritional programs and he will be an important contributor as junior/senior. Maybe taking a redshirt year along the way. Kueter as an elite NCAA heavyweight wrestler; a steep climb.

Good luck gaining those “15-20 pounds” after the football season you dumb phuck. Then cut down to the weight he needs to be at for football? Rinse and repeat?

Let me repeat, IF he stays at LB he will NOT have a successful wrestling career.

Phucking fool.
It can be done. Isn't heavyweight 285lbs why would he need to lose weight?

Phucking fool.
You dont know what you are talking about, pumpkinballer.

He does not need to get to 270.

Guys like Bastida and Kerk are probably in that 240-250 range. I suspect that is where Kueter would like to be for wrestling.
He would have a really hard time getting to 270 even if he wanted to. If he can manage to keep 245/250 on he will be doing good.

Reactions: MilleGinja

Phucking fool.
That's Ben Kueter's business. You don't know crap about him or his plan for success. What's up with the F words? You mad? 🤣

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

Phucking fool.
What in the hell did I just read? Are you having a stroke?

Reactions: herkhatescy
Maybe those players should stop hoping to compete in multiple sports in college............
🤔

Football coach is at recruit’s house.
Recruit states he wants to wrestle AND play football.
Coach says we will offer you a scholarship and honor your commitment if you focus solely on football. Make your decision and get back to us by so-and-so date.

🤔

Football coach is at recruit’s house.
Recruit states he wants to wrestle AND play football.
Coach says we will offer you a scholarship and honor your commitment if you focus solely on football. Make your decision and get back to us by so-and-so date.
Coach for a rival school then swoops in, promises the opportunity to compete in both, gets a commitment from said player, and then he wrecks havoc on your team for the next several years, all the while being competitive in his other sport.

How'd that work out for you?............. đź« 

Has anyone else pulled off the football / wrestling combo at high D1?
Hutmacher for the cornhuskers wrestled this season after not wrestling since high school and made nationals. I know that's not the same as doing both every year but he had to cut a crazy amount of weight to make it.

Reactions: ichawk24
Coach for a rival school then swoops in, promises the opportunity to compete in both, gets a commitment from said player, and then he wrecks havoc on your team for the next several years, all the while being competitive in his other sport.

How'd that work out for you?............. đź« 
Well, based on what I’m seeing from people in these threads, it seems Keuter is leaning towards a focus on wrestling 🤨

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT