ADVERTISEMENT

best (and worst) US airlines

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
The study’s 9582 participants ranked North American airlines from poor to perfect on a six-point scale. The study used seven “core dimensions” to determine where the flights ranked. Those dimensions are as follows:

• Airline Staff
  • Digital Tools
  • Ease of Travel
  • Level of Trust
  • On-Board Experience
  • Pre/Post-Flight Experience
  • Value For Price Paid
Overall, the two flight attributes that proved to be the most important to passengers were level of trust and ease of travel. While passengers would still appreciate some value, simply having a convenient, trouble-free flight takes top priority.

Negative press could clearly sway public opinion, too. The study found that on a 1000-point scale, airlines that had negative media coverage in the past year scored a whopping 400 points lower than those that did not.

The study was separated by flight class, with sections for economy, premium economy, and business/first class; this helps ensure people get the best idea possible about the quality of their particular flight. If you’re eager to discover what folk’s favorite flights are, check out the results listed below.

The Best Airlines For Economy and Basic Economy Flights​

Economy and basic economy may not be the most luxurious, but they’re arguably the most important—after all, nearly 80 percent of travelers use this class when flying. Southwest Airlines leads this group with 685 points, followed by Delta Air Lines with 651 points. Frontier Airlines, scoring 472, is at the bottom rung.

JbnvX6X.jpg

Anymore I fly Southwest about 90% of the time. No real issues except they don’t have business class but I just pay the extra $30 to get an A1-A15 spot.

I used to fly American almost exclusively and racked up points quickly. Everyone likes Delta but I haven’t flown them much.

Reactions: Torg
I almost always fly American because DFW is a hub but I recently flew Delta for the first time in a long while. The inside of the Delta planes were way nicer than what I am used to with American.

Reactions: ericram
I almost always fly American because DFW is a hub but I recently flew Delta for the first time in a long while. The inside of the Delta planes were way nicer than what I am used to with American.
Not only that. Charging 15-20 dollars for wifi is highway robbery. On delta it's free. The plane for AA are old. Some for long flights don't even have entertainment systems.

The study’s 9582 participants ranked North American airlines from poor to perfect on a six-point scale. The study used seven “core dimensions” to determine where the flights ranked. Those dimensions are as follows:

• Airline Staff
  • Digital Tools
  • Ease of Travel
  • Level of Trust
  • On-Board Experience
  • Pre/Post-Flight Experience
  • Value For Price Paid
Overall, the two flight attributes that proved to be the most important to passengers were level of trust and ease of travel. While passengers would still appreciate some value, simply having a convenient, trouble-free flight takes top priority.

Negative press could clearly sway public opinion, too. The study found that on a 1000-point scale, airlines that had negative media coverage in the past year scored a whopping 400 points lower than those that did not.

The study was separated by flight class, with sections for economy, premium economy, and business/first class; this helps ensure people get the best idea possible about the quality of their particular flight. If you’re eager to discover what folk’s favorite flights are, check out the results listed below.

The Best Airlines For Economy and Basic Economy Flights​

Economy and basic economy may not be the most luxurious, but they’re arguably the most important—after all, nearly 80 percent of travelers use this class when flying. Southwest Airlines leads this group with 685 points, followed by Delta Air Lines with 651 points. Frontier Airlines, scoring 472, is at the bottom rung.

JbnvX6X.jpg
I’m delta first and united second depending on where i’m headed and best connection.

Delta unless I am just doing a quick trip to Chicago, then will price out other airlines given it is a 45 min flight, and Sun Country or Southwest usually are very cheap. Sun Country must not be big enough to make the list; but I don't hate them.

Have the AMEX Platinum card and have had good status on Delta for years; but with the recent change, may start using other airlines in the next couple years as I don't fly as much as I used to.

Took Frontier to Cancun in February and I'm not surprised one bit they are last. Never again.

Reactions: hawkmart
while most domestic airlines are interchangeable, alaska stands out a bit (imo)

Delta first, SWA second.

Try to pay for everything with Delta Amex. Good lounges. Good hub for STL in Atlanta. American has good Dallas tie ins but always seem delayed for weather. Like this week.

Only Delta downside is no straight STL LAS shot - which I still can’t believe.

I fly United for domestic crap. I fly it because I have a kazillion miles and honestly don't know when I last paid for anything on United, including luggage. I transfer those miles to Star Alliance code share airlines for International. The only fly in the ointment is that O'hare sucks as a hub.

I actually like how Southwest does things. Transparent fares, bags fly free, they don't nickel and dime you for everything, drink prices are reasonable....

And I LOVE picking my own seat. If you reserve a seat on any other airline you have no idea if an 800-pound gorilla reserved the seat next to you.

But on Southwest as you make your way down the aisle, you can choose who you're going to spend the next few hours with.

I actually like how Southwest does things. Transparent fares, bags fly free, they don't nickel and dime you for everything, drink prices are reasonable....

And I LOVE picking my own seat. If you reserve a seat on any other airline you have no idea if an 800-pound gorilla reserved the seat next to you.

But on Southwest as you make your way down the aisle, you can choose who you're going to spend the next few hours with.
Overweight people on Southwest? No way! LOL

I’ve had good and terrible experiences with just about every airline. Delta has become my favorite based on medallion perks and best lounges. I would never fly southwest by myself, but I have at times with my family because of the low fares, free check bags and knowing who I will sit next to.

You are just as likely to sit next to a fatty as reserved seating. Once you pick your seat you don’t know who’s gonna pick a spot next to you. I hate southwest’s seating policy. Just let me pay to pick my fvcking seat. After my first SW flight I always pay to be front of the line. Fvcking dumb. Delta is my go to, or if I’m going home Allegiant as it’s only nonstop option.

You are just as likely to sit next to a fatty as reserved seating. Once you pick your seat you don’t know who’s gonna pick a spot next to you. I hate southwest’s seating policy. Just let me pay to pick my fvcking seat. After my first SW flight I always pay to be front of the line. Fvcking dumb. Delta is my go to, or if I’m going home Allegiant as it’s only nonstop option.

Dude, if there's an apparently safe couple in the row, there's only one seat left, usually the aisle, which is the seat I want anyway. I might have to sit next to the husband instead of the wife, but as long as he's not a big hairy fatty who manspreads, I'm cool with that.

I don't fly many different airlines but do travel for a living. Try to fly delta as much as I can. On occasion I fly American. I can safely say American sucks.
Same. Since we only really have those two I routinely pay a tad more for Delta. I was suprised American Airlines was not further down that list.

Reactions: ericram
This story was blown out of proportion by a brand new cabin crew. No sane flight crew would ditch a plane in an issue over a pressurization issue when it’s flying perfectly fine. Also, sounds like it was an indication, not an actual pressurization problem (brand new plane, it happens).

Funny spirit gets shit raked all the time yet they’re the safest domestically. Newest planes and statistically the safest. Southwest and Alaska will suck you out windows.

Service is trash though but some want to go from A to B cheaply and safely.

This story was blown out of proportion by a brand new cabin crew. No sane flight crew would ditch a plane in an issue over a pressurization issue when it’s flying perfectly fine. Also, sounds like it was an indication, not an actual pressurization problem (brand new plane, it happens).

Funny spirit gets shit raked all the time yet they’re the safest domestically. Newest planes and statistically the safest. Southwest and Alaska will suck you out windows.

Service is trash though but some want to go from A to B cheaply and safely.

Blown out of proportion? I’m honestly confused here and asking my SLU guy an honest question - If there is no serious problem with the airplane, shouldn’t Spirit be raked over the coals for their overreaction here?

Blown out of proportion? I’m honestly confused here and asking my SLU guy an honest question - If there is no serious problem with the airplane, shouldn’t Spirit be raked over the coals for their overreaction here?
Yes. The crew really ****ed up what should’ve been a non event. (Which it ultimately was except for the whole making people fear it was going into the water lol). The pilots did what they were supposed to. You don’t take a plane across water for a long time unpressurized at 10k feet. You would run out of fuel that low. So they circled back to Jamaica at a lower altitude since the plane wasn’t pressurizing correctly. This stuff happens every day across all airlines all over the world, the mechanical part and return to land after departing. The idiocy of the cabin crew needs throughly looked at however. It’s a bad look. Airlines could use less looking stupid in public right now.

Flown Delta for the last 12 years. When we were in the twin cities it was easy with non stops.
Now that we’re in Iowa City we’ll see how smoothly it goes as most places we go now will require a layover.
We did Delta 1 to Europe last fall and it was great. Plenty of room and nice perks.

Flown Delta for the last 12 years. When we were in the twin cities it was easy with non stops.
Now that we’re in Iowa City we’ll see how smoothly it goes as most places we go now will require a layover.
We did Delta 1 to Europe last fall and it was great. Plenty of room and nice perks.
Nice humble brag with the delta one purchase.

I have always liked flying Delta. Especially overseas. Within the past two weeks flew Milwaukee to Atlanta. Then Atlanta to Johannesburg. Atlanta to Jburgh is a 16 hr flight nonstop. Ugh. However Delta canceled the return flight Johannesburg to Atlanta last minute. I was not happy at all with them for doing that. Had to reroute thru Nairobi to JFK to Milwaukee. Delta never did say why.

When it comes to airlines in the US, I've had my fair share of experiences, and let me tell you, some have been great while others not so much. JetBlue has always been a top pick for me – their seats are comfy, the service is friendly, and they usually keep things running on time. Southwest is another one I like; they're laid-back and often have good deals if you catch them at the right time. On the flip side, United has given me a bit of grief with delays and once even lost my luggage, which was a headache. And American Airlines, well, they've been a bit hit or miss in my book. Have you ever looked into empty leg flight booking? It's a neat trick to get cheaper private jet travel when the plane needs to reposition.

Last edited:
Lufthansa, KLM, Air France and Cathay Pacific over any US Airlines. Alitalia would be below most US.

In US, Delta. AA almost always cancels the last flight into my city from ORD. My pilot friend now retired would never fly United. Said AA has the best equipment. Said he oft had to fight the airlines (AA) on the rules to fly with just enough fuel. He got into trouble some for landing in NV on trips to LA as he was concerned about fuel.

United pilot 747 pilot on the way to China said Russian paid controllers by the contact and they would bug the heck out of them.

I fly spirit at least once a month to south america. Now that I have gold status (free seats other than the big front seats, free luggage) it's so dang cheap I can't imagine flying any other airline. Rarely do I ever have an issue

Lufthansa, KLM, Air France and Cathay Pacific over any US Airlines. Alitalia would be below most US.

In US, Delta. AA almost always cancels the last flight into my city from ORD. My pilot friend now retired would never fly United. Said AA has the best equipment. Said he oft had to fight the airlines (AA) on the rules to fly with just enough fuel. He got into trouble some for landing in NV on trips to LA as he was concerned about fuel.

United pilot 747 pilot on the way to China said Russian paid controllers by the contact and they would bug the heck out of them.
Disagree except for the Alitalia comment.
I always fly delta or united anywhere but asia. If asia i’ll consider JAL or Korea.
I end up on air frog, klm and Luft on code shares for miles but i’ve never considered them better.

Disagree except for the Alitalia comment.
I always fly delta or united anywhere but asia. If asia i’ll consider JAL or Korea.
I end up on air frog, klm and Luft on code shares for miles but i’ve never considered them better.
What separates them for me from my own experience is the condition of the cabin late in long flights. US 50 yo flight attendants are ready to tell you to shut up and sit down, not as much the others. Son has flown Iceland Air and say they are as bad as advertised.

Ukraine International was an adventure.... as was Boryspil air port.

A Cathay Pacific attendant doing the Asian female short step (most acted western), tripped on someone's foot and dumped the tea tray on me. She was a mess. I gathered she thought her job was endangered. What I don't like about AP is they don't play any religious music on the flights I've been on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT