ADVERTISEMENT

Best brewski you had this weekend.......?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Mine was the Surly Doomtree. So awesome that Iowa has Surly distribution now! The Bettendorf Hy-Vee had a real nice selection of Surly products this weekend. My understanding is Iowa is the first state outside of Minnesota you can get their beers.

The Surly Furious I had was a close second, but liked the Doomtree better.

doomtreecan.jpg

I was going to have a Surly Furious, but Park Tavern in St. Louis Park was out :( I had something called Empyrean Dark Side out of Nebraska. Pretty tasty.

I had Bell's Amber ale for first time and i couldnt believe how good it is. lots of flavor but not overpowering. a less hoppy two-hearted.

i also tried Green Flash Double stout. quality beer and the first non-ipa i have ever tried by green flash. a strong stout so a bit tough to have several.

Originally posted by torbee:

Originally posted by HawkinMN:

I was going to have a Surly Furious, but Park Tavern in St. Louis Park was out :( I had something called Empyrean Dark Side out of Nebraska. Pretty tasty.
That was my BOTW last week. It's a good one.
The Dark Side? Our waitress brought us over an extra Leine Snowdrift Vanilla Porter that may have been poured by mistake. Had that before many times and an excellent tasting one as well.

Piton, but only because this was my view in St Lucia while I was drinking it there. But it was a surprisingly good beer.

images

Spent most of Saturday hiking, so packed up my usual Bell's Two Hearted tall boy cans to make the time in the woods a little more enjoyable. Need to clear out the beer fridge, so also drank some Sierra Torpedos and a variety of Summit beers. Nothing crazy, but made room for more Surly beers.

I had one of these...
images

And one of these...
images

Both were excellent.

Mine was the Surly Doomtree. So awesome that Iowa has Surly distribution now! The Bettendorf Hy-Vee had a real nice selection of Surly products this weekend. My understanding is Iowa is the first state outside of Minnesota you can get their beers.

ec
hmmm - i hadn't seen the doomtree before. furious is a really great beer. we were getting it in chicago for a year or two (i think it started and stopped and restarted distribution at some point). i saw the surly display at my hyvee, but no doomtree there.

my beer o' the weekend was an imperial red from madhouse. i had only recently heard of these guys and this was my first try of theirs. pretty great beer - viscous, balance of malts to mellow the alchohol, a bit floral but pushing away from a heaving hop punch.

two sad stories of my beer weekend:
- had my first narwal of the year, and it didn't live up to my memory of how great this beer is
- grabbed some barrel aged dragon's milk, and i'm just gonna say this isn't good. i think they want it to appeal to people that want more of a dessert beer

Originally posted by SSG T:
I had one of these...
images

And one of these...
images

Both were excellent.

Indica is very good. Agree with 8...Surly Furious on tap and in a can. Did No Coast again by Peacetree...the Vine also conned me in to a Lagunitas as well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by DrVenkman:
i now see we need to get some of this Surly beer out here..
It's real good, but a little bit overrated, IMO.

I like Bells, Three Floyds, Ale Asylum and Founders beers better.

Nice to have another good brewery to choose from, though.
we have been really lucky out here as we get lots of Founders, and as of about 2 yrs ago, have seen an explosion in Bell's offerings. Bell's anbd Founders just dont make bad beers. this weekend i also had Bell's Smitten Golden Rye. Its not at all my favorite, but it will be a great beer for warmer weather and is very drinkable.

Originally posted by beanerhawk:
Piton, but only because this was my view in St Lucia while I was drinking it there. But it was a surprisingly good beer.

images
I remember Piton as a sixteen year old. First beer I had with my dad while in St. Lucia.

I went with Surly OverRated and I was very, very impressed. I may like it better than Furious.

The Rivals Main Board is doing a Beer It Forward. For those who don't know a BIF is just putting together a box of beers and shipping it off to a trading partner. They try and match people up in different parts of the country so you can get beers that aren't distributed in your state. I haven't done the Main Board Bif but have done others. Shipping can get expensive but it is a good way to try new brews.

Link for the details.

Main Board

Originally posted by Honda Hawk:

Originally posted by jellyfish10:
Just saw Surly Abrasive...for just 19 bones a 4 pack!
Now imagine what the Lava Lounge/El Bait Shop would charge 
ohwell.r191677.gif

I was in Billy's last weekend before a state basketball game...I thought their selection was pretty decent. I mean, wtf is in that stuff to ask 19 bucks for 4 cans of beer? I have no issue paying more for good beer, but that price is what's abrasive. Per torbee's suggestion, I picked up Doomtree and also snagged Overrated as well...both 10 bucks a piece.

Originally posted by golfinghawkeye:
The Rivals Main Board is doing a Beer It Forward. For those who don't know a BIF is just putting together a box of beers and shipping it off to a trading partner. They try and match people up in different parts of the country so you can get beers that aren't distributed in your state. I haven't done the Main Board Bif but have done others. Shipping can get expensive but it is a good way to try new brews.

Link for the details.
SP and I did this a couple times. That's how I got to try some Pliny and he got to try some Three Floyds.

It is pretty fun.

ec
Wow! Haven't had the DoomTree yet. I'll have to pick some up. Furious is in my top 5 favorites of all time.

old-chub.jpg

Also had some Schlafly's Irish Style Stout on draft at Blue Moose in IC. Very good on draft.

doomtreecan.jpg

This Maplewood effort was A+.

EwTeiMGXIAIcq0D.jpg

we have been really lucky out here as we get lots of Founders, and as of about 2 yrs ago, have seen an explosion in Bell's offerings. Bell's anbd Founders just dont make bad beers. this weekend i also had Bell's Smitten Golden Rye. Its not at all my favorite, but it will be a great beer for warmer weather and is very drinkable.

I love Smitten. Unfortunately, it is seasonal.

doomtreecan.jpg

I had a Boddington’s Ale on Nitro.

photo-2.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT