ADVERTISEMENT

Best finals match ups

crablegs1

HR All-American
Feb 27, 2009
what are the best match ups tonight? I don't follow high school wrestling in Iowa that close, so could anyone give me their top 5 finals matchups?

All I really know are the guys going D1.

Schriver at 106, capping off undefeated freshman year and start of possible 4x undefeated

Too early to speculate about four year undefeated. Teske this year for example was in danger of dropping one to West.

At 106 he could have some young studs move in and knock him off or he could jump up a weight and run into tougher competition.

Schriver at 106, capping off undefeated freshman year and start of possible 4x undefeated

Too early to speculate about four year undefeated. Teske this year for example was in danger of dropping one to West.

At 106 he could have some young studs move in and knock him off or he could jump up a weight and run into tougher competition.
The possibility is definitely there, do a little reading about all of his wrestling achievements the last couple years.

The possibility is definitely there, do a little reading about all of his wrestling achievements the last couple years.

Not saying it's not but it's a long way to go. Teske had just as many and possibly more achievements at the same age and he still almost was defeated this year.

Any freshman who goes undefeated and wins the state title is automatically in the running and speculation for 4 time undefeated. There is usually only one or two kids a year if even that who manage to do this. They are deserving of the recognition. Until they lose, they deserve the consideration.

it's not to early to speculate about anything,kinda the purpose of this whole thing.

The wind chill was between 80-85 today down at the beach.

Wanna speculate what it might be today.............
looksmiley.gif

Not saying it's not but it's a long way to go. Teske had just as many and possibly more achievements at the same age and he still almost was defeated this year.
It's a long way to go for those that eventually do it. Always has been.

Happel, Coleman, Thomsen and Teske are in different leagues than the rest. I left after Coleman so I can't say after that, but those four are just machines.

Happel, Coleman, Thomsen and Teske are in different leagues than the rest. I left after Coleman so I can't say after that, but those four are just machines.

Happel is a quality wrestler but if not for the name you wouldn't likely have him listed here. He got dominated by Bennett. Biscoglia and Bennett both belong on this list before Happel.

Here's how I would rank the top p4p Iowa wrestlers:

1. Teske
2. Coleman
3. Thomsen
4. Schriever
5. Bryce West
6a. Biscoglia
6b. Bennett
7. Costello
8a. Wriedt
8b. Lombardi
9. Brands
10. Lyon
11. Leisure
12. Reeves

Last edited:
Good list, I'd add Shiltz in there, probably before Wriedt/Lombardi. I'd move Lyon above those 2 as well.. Love to see Lyon vs Shiltz.

Good list, I'd add Shiltz in there, probably before Wriedt/Lombardi. I'd move Lyon above those 2 as well.. Love to see Lyon vs Shiltz.

Really anything outside of Teske, Coleman and Thomsen is up for debate. I think the 14 guys on my list are certainly within the top 20 on anyone's list but the order from #4-14 can certainly be debated. Guys like Millage and Shiltz could certainly be added.

I just don't see Happel in the top 15 at this point.

A guy like Reeves is a wild card. I really wish he would have went 113 at Fargo last summer instead of 20. He did split with Teske last summer up at 20. He may have just won the toughest bracket in all classes. 113 is loaded. Bennett, Bris, Pritchard(beat happel), Faught, Doolittle, Reeves and Happel. I don't see Happel beating any of those guys. That's not a knock on him at all. Good things are happening in Iowa at the lower weights.

You're right, Bennett majored Happel and Pritchard pinned him. Those guys placed 3rd and 4th on Saturday. Happel is very impressive as a freshman, but the competition at 1A 113 was obviously horrific.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT