ADVERTISEMENT

Best hot dog ever?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
HOLY CRAP! I'm on my knees bowing down to this:

383c55b2-3aa7-572e-811e-26e4e625a7f8

Freaking awesome!

Okay, so my local butcher makes sausages, but I don't recall any homemade hot dogs for crying out loud. Maybe it IS an Iowa thing?

Everyone knows that the best meats are prepared and packaged by machines in factories weeks before you buy them, not by butchers freshly preparing them.

That's what's cool about the hot dogs in the OP....

They're UNCURED.

So they weren't prepared weeks ago or they'll have gone bad by now.

I've tried a number of local hot dogs, have had the WF uncured as well, I still prefer Hebrew National.

That said, this thread reminded me of this recipe I saw just the other day:

5367F6E6-C407-4506-BB79-E9829A18832F.webp

Uh, yes. I had some this weekend from my local and they are amazing. Iowa thing maybe?
The correct pretentious iowa term is “meat locker”. For example, if someone says “I really enjoyed these green onion brats i got from Hy—vee,” the correct response is “if you like tasteless garbage. I only get mine from [insert name of local meat locker, which is just another name for a butcher].”

Even Trader Joe’s has better uncured beef hot dogs than anything ballpark would make. They’re 5 to 1’s for those that speak the hot dog game

If you are going to buy at the grocery store you can't do better than Hebrew National.

Link: https://www.hebrewnational.com/our-story
I’m not going to lie, I LOVE Hebrew National hotdogs. They are the best mass produced hot dog out there I have had. I will admit I have not had Costco’s or Trader Joe’s, or some local meat locker’/butcher’s. So maybe I’m missing out.

The correct pretentious iowa term is “meat locker”. For example, if someone says “I really enjoyed these green onion brats i got from Hy—vee,” the correct response is “if you like tasteless garbage. I only get mine from [insert name of local meat locker, which is just another name for a butcher].”
The proper name for a hot dog is a glizzy.

Reactions: LBoogie28
I’m not going to lie, I LOVE Hebrew National hotdogs. They are the best mass produced hot dog out there I have had. I will admit I have not had Costco’s or Trader Joe’s, or some local meat locker’/butcher’s. So maybe I’m missing out.
Don’t waste your time on Costco/Kirkland hot dogs, they’re not bad, but not great either.

I still think the best hot dogs I’ve had were the Wimmers Course Ground Natural Casing variety. Fareway has a coarse ground variety as well which aren’t bad. My wife and kids prefer Oscar Meyer Angus Beef variety, again not bad but nothing to write home about.

Don’t waste your time on Costco/Kirkland hot dogs, they’re not bad, but not great either.

I still think the best hot dogs I’ve had were the Wimmers Course Ground Natural Casing variety. Fareway has a coarse ground variety as well which aren’t bad. My wife and kids prefer Oscar Meyer Angus Beef variety, again not bad but nothing to write home about.
I’ve had Wimmers before and they were okay for me. It’s all personal taste so not hating on them.

OP getting excited about a ballpark product? What’s next…claiming the next Budweiser spinoff is the greatest thing to happen to beer?

Ballpark? Do you even hotdog, bro?

That’s precisely what I was thinking. “Have you heard of this great craft cheese and meat maker called Kraft?”

Here’s the real best hot dogs imo. I haven’t had literally all brands but any time someone recs a new brand I’ll give it a try and this is my accumulated knowledge of maybe 50+ regional and national favorites. Most are not easily available so I may not always go with my #1 choice unless I’ve recently found them locally or purchased an online order. And the difference between #1 and #5 is not usually THAT big of a deal when you’re talking about the top five sausages of a particular type/style.

Best All-Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie my favorite for regular chili dogs, coney sauce dogs, Cincy chili dogs, slaw dogs, and any fancy combo like Colombian/Super Perro-style or anything with a lot of toppings)

1) Sahlen’s Jumbo All Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs
2) Feltman’s Natural Casing Uncured Beef Hot Dog
3) Hofman Natural Casing Beef Hot Dogs
4) Vienna Beef Natural Casing Jumbo Hot Dogs
5) Nathan’s Famous “The Original” All Beef Natural Casing Frankfurter

Best Pork and Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie the best for grilling outside with simple toppings like ketchup and mustard as well as when I’m in the mood for a NY style with sauerkraut and preserved onions)

1) Kayem Olde Tyme Natural Casing Reds
2) Sahlen’s Original Smokehouse Hot Dogs
3) Jordan’s Natural Casing Red Hot Dogs
4) Hofman Snappy Grillers (but as a bonus, these are the absolute best for homemade Currywurst)
5) Usinger’s Natural Casing Wieners

Best Skinless Hot Dogs for babies, toddlers, heathens who can’t stomach natural casing because of their low IQs, and large family, work and friend get-togethers

1) Kirkland‘s Beef Dinner Franks
2) Hebrew National Beef Knockwurst
3) Sabrett’s Skinless Beef Frankfurters
4) Kirkland’s Beef Wieners
5) Hebrew National Beef Franks

(All easily available, and basically ranked in order of how much I’m willing to pay and go out of my way for said party…ie I like everyone I’m getting Beef Dinner Franks and if it’s a bunch of people I don’t know and/or care about they‘re getting Kirkland Beef Wieners or Hebrew National Beef Franks. I never go super low class even for people I dislike and before anyone says “But Costco is for poors…” they essentially stole the Hebrew National recipes back in 2009 when Hebrew National stopped working with them and then offer them cheaper.)

I’ve had Wimmers before and they were okay for me. It’s all personal taste so not hating on them.
Understood, and you should try the Kirkland brand to find out what you think of them. They’re not bad at all.

I’m one of those people who can’t really stand mushy hot dogs with no snap to them which is the vast majority of the mass produced kinds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT