ADVERTISEMENT

Best hot dog ever?

Disappointed that HROT poors haven't done this.

EagerUnselfishArctichare-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: lucas80 and win4jj
Had brats on the grill today.
My late hubby was with Oscar Mayer, Armour Foods, and Ball Park.
He said of the 3 that Ball Park was the winner for quality.
But...his personal taste? Sabrett’s.
Well he obviously had excellent taste. 😋

Once every few years, I get a craving for a Ball Park frank. We stock up on Hebrew National when they go on sale at Costco. I’m generally more of a fan of franks from local meat markets. We always stop at this place when in the north country to load up on brats and natural casing weiners. The absolute best around.

https://stjosephmeatmarket.com/

The best hot dog is the Vienna beef at wolfys.

We had some kind of silent auction in law school where a professor would take you on a hot dog tour until you couldn’t take anymore. I think I ate 14. I never really hit any of the north side stands before, and the char dog at wolfys was the best one I had. Only thing close was the one that was under one of the far north brown line stops that had a bottle of Johnny walker blue with the dog

You know uncured means nothing right? It's the new vogue thing to do and involves a replacement of sodium nitrate/nitrite/erthyrobate aka Prague Salt #2 or #3 with celery salt, which wait for it, contains similar chemicals.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Don’t waste your time on Costco/Kirkland hot dogs, they’re not bad, but not great either.

I still think the best hot dogs I’ve had were the Wimmers Course Ground Natural Casing variety. Fareway has a coarse ground variety as well which aren’t bad. My wife and kids prefer Oscar Meyer Angus Beef variety, again not bad but nothing to write home about.
Yeah Wimmers beat the hell out of anything else out there.

That’s precisely what I was thinking. “Have you heard of this great craft cheese and meat maker called Kraft?”

Here’s the real best hot dogs imo. I haven’t had literally all brands but any time someone recs a new brand I’ll give it a try and this is my accumulated knowledge of maybe 50+ regional and national favorites. Most are not easily available so I may not always go with my #1 choice unless I’ve recently found them locally or purchased an online order. And the difference between #1 and #5 is not usually THAT big of a deal when you’re talking about the top five sausages of a particular type/style.

Best All-Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie my favorite for regular chili dogs, coney sauce dogs, Cincy chili dogs, slaw dogs, and any fancy combo like Colombian/Super Perro-style or anything with a lot of toppings)

1) Sahlen’s Jumbo All Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs
2) Feltman’s Natural Casing Uncured Beef Hot Dog
3) Hofman Natural Casing Beef Hot Dogs
4) Vienna Beef Natural Casing Jumbo Hot Dogs
5) Nathan’s Famous “The Original” All Beef Natural Casing Frankfurter

Best Pork and Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie the best for grilling outside with simple toppings like ketchup and mustard as well as when I’m in the mood for a NY style with sauerkraut and preserved onions)

1) Kayem Olde Tyme Natural Casing Reds
2) Sahlen’s Original Smokehouse Hot Dogs
3) Jordan’s Natural Casing Red Hot Dogs
4) Hofman Snappy Grillers (but as a bonus, these are the absolute best for homemade Currywurst)
5) Usinger’s Natural Casing Wieners

Best Skinless Hot Dogs for babies, toddlers, heathens who can’t stomach natural casing because of their low IQs, and large family, work and friend get-togethers

1) Kirkland‘s Beef Dinner Franks
2) Hebrew National Beef Knockwurst
3) Sabrett’s Skinless Beef Frankfurters
4) Kirkland’s Beef Wieners
5) Hebrew National Beef Franks

(All easily available, and basically ranked in order of how much I’m willing to pay and go out of my way for said party…ie I like everyone I’m getting Beef Dinner Franks and if it’s a bunch of people I don’t know and/or care about they‘re getting Kirkland Beef Wieners or Hebrew National Beef Franks. I never go super low class even for people I dislike and before anyone says “But Costco is for poors…” they essentially stole the Hebrew National recipes back in 2009 when Hebrew National stopped working with them and then offer them cheaper.)
There is no fvcking way you are a real person.

That’s precisely what I was thinking. “Have you heard of this great craft cheese and meat maker called Kraft?”

Here’s the real best hot dogs imo. I haven’t had literally all brands but any time someone recs a new brand I’ll give it a try and this is my accumulated knowledge of maybe 50+ regional and national favorites. Most are not easily available so I may not always go with my #1 choice unless I’ve recently found them locally or purchased an online order. And the difference between #1 and #5 is not usually THAT big of a deal when you’re talking about the top five sausages of a particular type/style.

Best All-Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie my favorite for regular chili dogs, coney sauce dogs, Cincy chili dogs, slaw dogs, and any fancy combo like Colombian/Super Perro-style or anything with a lot of toppings)

Best Pork and Beef Natural Casing Hot Dogs (ie the best for grilling outside with simple toppings like ketchup and mustard as well as when I’m in the mood for a NY style with sauerkraut and preserved onions)

4) Hofman Snappy Grillers (but as a bonus, these are the absolute best for homemade Currywurst)

Best Skinless Hot Dogs for babies, toddlers, heathens who can’t stomach natural casing because of their low IQs, and large family, work and friend get-togethers

(All easily available, and basically ranked in order of how much I’m willing to pay and go out of my way for said party…ie I like everyone I’m getting Beef Dinner Franks and if it’s a bunch of people I don’t know and/or care about they‘re getting Kirkland Beef Wieners or Hebrew National Beef Franks. I never go super low class even for people I dislike and before anyone says “But Costco is for poors…” they essentially stole the Hebrew National recipes back in 2009 when Hebrew National stopped working with them and then offer them cheaper.)
Gotta try Schickhaus natural casing franks (from jersey shore).

Damn just went to a post on chowhound about the franks and saw chowhound shut down 2 days ago after 25 yrs. RIP.

A few years back Fareway had a quarter pound hot dog at the meat counter. It was absolutely outstanding. Generally I prefer an all beef hot dog, but this one wasn't even that. Just a generic blend but it was really, really good. Then one winter when they pulled a lot of their summer items it never came back and was replaced the following spring in that spot next to the brats by the 'Vegas dog.'. Whatever that is... it paled in comparison. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a kid at heart that actually really likes hot dogs as an adult. Due largely to my time working in the restaurant industry we eat very well around our house. But hot dogs are still an odd item I still really like, and man those Fareway quarter pounders were awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Pappy
We had some kind of silent auction in law school where a professor would take you on a hot dog tour until you couldn’t take anymore. I think I ate 14. I never really hit any of the north side stands before, and the char dog at wolfys was the best one I had. Only thing close was the one that was under one of the far north brown line stops that had a bottle of Johnny walker blue with the dog

byron’s?

Gotta try Schickhaus natural casing franks (from jersey shore).

Damn just went to a post on chowhound about the franks and saw chowhound shut down 2 days ago after 25 yrs. RIP.

I was a huge fan of Chowhound and was hugely disappointed they were mismanaged (financially not productwise) into oblivion. Between Chowhound and Allrecipes that would have accounted for about 50% of the new recipes I would try.

I’ve had Schickhaus rec’d before and they are nearly impossible to order online for some reason. I just checked again and none of the places purporting to have them actually DO have them in stock. I’m not a frequent Jersey Shore visitor (just twice but I do absolutely love the White House Italian “Submarine” and frequently list it as one of my top five sandwiches of all times), but next time I’m there I absolutely will check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
I eat maybe 4 or 5 hotdogs in a year, usually at a tailgate or maybe one on the Fourth of July. I’m not all that worried.
Your butt should be fine 🙂. I did buy your late husband's hot dog brand. Good stuff.

HOLY CRAP! I'm on my knees bowing down to this:

383c55b2-3aa7-572e-811e-26e4e625a7f8

Freaking awesome!
honestly, i don't think there is such a thing as "best hot dog ever", hot dogs and other wursts are fine, but with the possible exception of bratwurst, are generally pretty uninspiring as food goes.

honestly, i don't think there is such a thing as "best hot dog ever", hot dogs and other wursts are fine, but with the possible exception of bratwurst, are generally pretty uninspiring as food goes.

There’s a huge difference in taste and overall quality between something like the Feltman’s Uncured Beef hot dog in a natural casing with a very short ingredient list of just meat and a few spices versus a Ballpark or Oscar Mayer hot dog made up of %*%* meat and a chemical list a mile long.

Nice to see Sahlen's getting the love. Did I turn you on to them? There's a couple Sahlens advocates on here (or previously on Warchant).

That's what I grew up on, and what I'm all about. Several years ago when Sahlen's got national distribution through Publix, I had no idea. I was just walking through Publix and saw them on the shelves, my eyes got watery and I almost burst into tears. It elevated my life. We have them about twice a month.

I'm strictly natural casing pork+beef, I just can't get used to the taste and mouth feel of an all beef dog. Before they got Sahlen's here, they started carrying Hoffmans, which is a totally fine hot dog. But before that, I couldn't find a natural casing pork+beef hot dog in the city of Atlanta. For 10+ years I lived off Sahlen's from the freezer from my annual trips to Buffalo.

Back in Buffalo, we had lots of choices. The only other dog for me that competes with Sahlens and I would sometimes choose over Sahlens is a Zweigel's (Rochester) hot, both red hots and white hots.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__20110702-zweigles-popopen-primary-6de534490d7f4fe1828da6d314ca5964.jpg

They haven't gotten national distribution after Hoffmans (Syracuse) and Sahlen's (Buffalo) but I keep hoping. Wardynski's is good too, but just Western NY regional I believe.

Reactions: cfbfan23
Nice to see Sahlen's getting the love. Did I turn you on to them? There's a couple Sahlens advocates on here (or previously on Warchant).

That's what I grew up on, and what I'm all about. Several years ago when Sahlen's got national distribution through Publix, I had no idea. I was just walking through Publix and saw them on the shelves, my eyes got watery and I almost burst into tears. It elevated my life. We have them about twice a month.

I'm strictly natural casing pork+beef, I just can't get used to the taste and mouth feel of an all beef dog. Before they got Sahlen's here, they started carrying Hoffmans, which is a totally fine hot dog. But before that, I couldn't find a natural casing pork+beef hot dog in the city of Atlanta. For 10+ years I lived off Sahlen's from the freezer from my annual trips to Buffalo.

Back in Buffalo, we had lots of choices. The only other dog for me that competes with Sahlens and I would sometimes choose over Sahlens is a Zweigel's (Rochester) hot, both red hots and white hots.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__20110702-zweigles-popopen-primary-6de534490d7f4fe1828da6d314ca5964.jpg

They haven't gotten national distribution after Hoffmans (Syracuse) and Sahlen's (Buffalo) but I keep hoping. Wardynski's is good too, but just Western NY regional I believe.

Lou,

You were the one to get me on to Sahlen's......was already a Hoffman's fan. I prefer the smokehouse over the all-beef, but I like them both. They are really at their best over charcoal, imo.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Lou,

You were the one to get me on to Sahlen's......was already a Hoffman's fan. I prefer the smokehouse over the all-beef, but I like them both. They are really at their best over charcoal, imo.

Yeah, Hoffman's are perfectly fine. I'm pretty much exclusively charcoal grilled when it comes to hot dogs, maybe 2% of the time I'll pan fry them, usually only if I'm making Texas Hots, but I pretty much only char grill them. I just don't think all-beef really cook the same over an open flame.

images

Reactions: cfbfan23

Yes, I got Sahlen’s after you mentioned your love for them. I’d previously had Hofman’s as well as they seem to have a bigger presence in Florida, but you can usually find the Natural Casing Sahlens at larger Publixes and even the small one three Blocks from me in Southwood carries the skinless version now.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Yeah, Hoffman's are perfectly fine. I'm pretty much exclusively charcoal grilled when it comes to hot dogs, maybe 2% of the time I'll pan fry them, usually only if I'm making Texas Hots, but I pretty much only char grill them. I just don't think all-beef really cook the same over an open flame.

images

We went through a pack of Sahlen's this past weekend. Wife (no pics) and I each had two on Friday. I had one on saturday (I had the coals going for other food, so why not)........and another two yesterday. Whenever Publix has a BOGO on them, I load up. I probably have ≈ 20 packs in one of the freezers. That should last me a year or more.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT