Votes: 2 2.8%
  • IBC

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I don't know other rootbeers so i picked one of these

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Write in because I know other rootbeers

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
Nope, couldn't even tell ya where one is anymore. Unless there's still one out by CID airport.

There is one near me and just a few miles from the dispensary. Keep that in mind next time a concert comes to the QC. I would eat the A&W after the show and not before.

I actually have an emergency poop story from a time I saw Major Lazer in Chicago. That was pretty traumatizing and at least 50 people got to see my suffering.

There is one near me and just a few miles from the dispensary. Keep that in mind next time a concert comes to the QC. I would eat the A&W after the show and not before.

I actually have an emergency poop story from a time I saw Major Lazer in Chicago. That was pretty traumatizing and at least 50 people got to see my suffering.
that's why I only pick concerts with mudpits

Reactions: Moral
Literally just came across this helpful website and it basically mostly redeems my opinions on the more obscure stuff as it gives Bulldog a 96 rating, Swamp Pop File a 93 rating, Abita an 84, Sioux City an 82, IBC a 74 and A&W a 74. Although it does give Dang! Only a 40 for some reason.

I do think they overrate Boylan’s at 98, although I think their Red Birch and Shirley Temple are Fire. But their Rootbeer isn‘t as good as their NY competitor’s Dr Brown (and don’t skip the Cel-Ray from the good doc either).

Last edited:
Tribe - not sure if you've ever been to Lost Rhino in Ashburn, VA, but they make a good root beer also.

No but I will definitely check it out in a couple of months when I’m in the greater northern VA area. I’ve been looking for an excuse to go to Fredericksburg and the wineries in the NoVa mountains again with my wife. Ashburn is a little further northwest than I was planning on, but I’m never one to turn down a food, brewery, meadery, ciders, distillery or winery suggestion.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
No but I will definitely check it out in a couple of months when I’m in the greater northern VA area. I’ve been looking for an excuse to go to Fredericksburg and the wineries in the NoVa mountains again with my wife. Ashburn is a little further northwest than I was planning on, but I’m never one to turn down a food, brewery, meadery, ciders, distillery or winery suggestion.
Lost Rhino is some of the best beer, but it's set in a light industrial park in Ashburn, so it's not got the same scenery as Dirt Farm Brewing and Harper's Ferry Brewing do.

big-lebowski-sam-elliot-bar.jpg

This man knows the answer.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Once a year at we have a family campout. For the kids and non drinkers I'll make an Igloo water cooler of homemade root beer.

All you need is: Watkins rootbeer extract, sugar, water, and dry ice. Use at least 50% more dry ice than listed. Extra fizz, extra cold, and will keep longer before going flat.

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Revelton out of Osceola, IA has one that is really good. Blanton’s too with Root Beer, Ginger Beer, and Ginger Ale.

A&W out of family loyalty. When I met Mrs. Oblivious 43 years ago when we were both teenagers, her parents owned and operated an A&W. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I still have dreams of devouring their broasted chicken. Unfortunately McDonald’s moved in and eventually they closed shop. Homemade A&W in the frosty mug was the GOAT IMO. Add in some soft serve and it’s a damn near perfect dessert.

Nostalgic honorable mentions to Frostie and DOG n SUDS.

So the poll proves scientifically what I've always known, Mug root beer is complete shit.

However, do yourself a favor and try the Mug cream soda. THAT actually rivals it's A&W counterpart.

Killebrew is pretty decent. Both the root beer and cream soda.

Goose Island used to make a “Chicago style” root beer that was good. They then sold it off to someone else.

But hard to beat 1919 out of a keg and poured into a frosted mug.

Voting for A&W because nothing beats getting their root beer at the actual restaurant, especially back when I was a kid. I don't drink pop much anymore, but that would still be my go-to if I was buying root beer.
This. When I was a kid we spent our summers in Wyoming while my dad was in grad school. We would go fossil hunting on the weekends, and If we could remember geologic facts about the fossils, we could stop at a and w on the way home.

Otherwise, dominion root beer

Reactions: McLovin32
I love Abita’s Pecan Ale

I‘m a big fan of Abita especially when pre-Covid they‘d give you unlimited beers and access to all of their taps for an hour after you did a tour of their brewery. It was a high energy free for all run around the bar. It’s where I learned to combine AndyGator with Purple Haze or Strawberry Lager to make an amazing “beertini”. But I’m a bigger fan of the original that Abita is ripping off, Lazy Magnolia’s Southern Pecan. Beer Advocate cumulative scores agree with me slightly as Lazy Magnolia’s pecan beer is averaging an 81 score while Abita is at 77. Both are good, but the original has a slightly smoother taste.

Overall, I probably slightly prefer Abita as an entire brewery thanks to Andygator, Turbodog, Strawberry Lager, and Purple Haze in that order. But Lazy Magnolia’s lineup is strong thanks to Southern Pecan, Vanilla Pecan, Timber Beast, 2nd Brunch and Cherry Pickin in that order.

Last edited:
Have you tried any of the wineries in the Yadkin Valley?

Have you tried any of the wineries in the Yadkin Valley?

Not since sometime before Covid, maybe a decade ago? Usually when I’m in NC, I‘m visiting relatives in the Shelby and Fallston areas ie the Piedmont. There’s not a lot of wineries in that area but the now defunct Owleye was not only my favorite in North Carolina, but the best muscadine/noble grape hybrid winery I’ve been to whether in Virginia, NC, or Georgia mountains. They had absolutely excellent Tramminette and Chambourcin varietals. Now, I guess Baker is the best in the area.

I‘m a big fan of Abita especially when pre-Covid they‘d give you unlimited beers and access to all of their taps for an hour after you did a tour of their brewery. It was a high energy free for all run around the bar. It’s where I learned to combine AndyGator with Purple Haze or Strawberry Lager to make an amazing “beertini”. But I’m a bigger fan of the original that Abita is ripping off, Lazy Magnolia’s Southern Pecan. Beer Advocate cumulative scores agree with me slightly as Lazy Magnolia’s pecan beer is averaging an 81 score while Abita is at 77. Both are good, but the original has a slightly smoother taste.

Overall, I probably slightly prefer Abita as an entire brewery thanks to Andygator, Turbodog, Strawberry Lager, and Purple Haze in that order. But Lazy Magnolia’s lineup is strong thanks to Southern Pecan, Vanilla Pecan, Timber Beast, 2nd Brunch and Cherry Pickin in that order.
We only get Abita in Omaha, and you can only get the Pecan Ale at a restaurant called Mouth of the South.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
We only get Abita in Omaha, and you can only get the Pecan Ale at a restaurant called Mouth of the South.

I looked up Lazy Magnolia’s beerfinder on their distribution list and they don’t have anything within 100 miles of Omaha. I’m actually surprised because several restaurants carry at least their Southern Pecan brew if not more in Tally (which is more than 300 miles away from the brewery in Mississippi) and it’s in all of the local grocery stores and liquor stores plus several gas stations.

Not since sometime before Covid, maybe a decade ago? Usually when I’m in NC, I‘m visiting relatives in the Shelby and Fallston areas ie the Piedmont. There’s not a lot of wineries in that area but the now defunct Owleye was not only my favorite in North Carolina, but the best muscadine/noble grape hybrid winery I’ve been to whether in Virginia, NC, or Georgia mountains. They had absolutely excellent Tramminette and Chambourcin varietals. Now, I guess Baker is the best in the area.
I live in the heart of the Yadkin Valley. I would guess they are around 40 wineries within a 20 mile radius of me.

Shelby has two excellent bbq places.

Shelby has two excellent bbq places.

My extended family that lives there prefer Alston Bridges while my wife and I prefer the brother’s, Red Bridges. Both are absolutely great examples of the Western Carolina/Piedmont/“Lexington” style of pulled pork bbq. I could eat their sandwiches twice a week and be happy about it (I usually like variety and seldom eat the same type of cuisine or food item more than once every two to three weeks). Just remember to always ask for the outside brown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT