Best Thanksgiving side dish recipes

Green Bean Casserole.

2 Cans french cut green beans
2 cans regular cut green beans
2-3 cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 box fresh portabella mushrooms rough chop
Tony Cahchere to taste
Fried onions on top
Oven at 350 for 15-25 minutes until brown and bubbling.

Reactions: Car-go
HROT chefs, post it here

To family get togethers I usually make a semi-authentic to the time succotash that goes really well. Even non-veggie eaters usually enjoy it because of the mix and balance of flavours. And it's pretty easy to make either using a frying pan and Crockpot or nowadays just cooking everything in an instant pot by cooking the bacon first on the sautee setting.

And you can scale it up or down as needed depending on the size of the group.

The first step is to render bacon either in a frying pan or in the Instant Pot on sautee. If you're doing a small portion for a family of four just four slices of bacon is needed. You want to cook the bacon to extra crispy (I don’t mean burnt, I mean cook it on medium heat turning occasionally and taking it to dark brown where there’s no floppy bits) to render as much fat as possible. Then set aside the cooked bacon to crumble and add back in (or eat half yourself as the cook, that’s what I usually do).

Once the bacon is removed, leave the fat in the frying pan or instant pot and then add in diced sweet or white onion (for four people just a half will do, for larger amounts scale up) and the same amount of bell pepper (for large batches I typically do different colors to add variety). Cook on medium heat (or sauté on the instant pot) until the onions are carmelized. And by carmelized I mean a light tan color, neither dark brown like you want for French onion soup or Onion dip or just translucent. A minute or so before the onions and peppers are done, add minced garlic at your preferred level (Id start with a heaping teaspoon per every four people but I love garlic).

Once the onions, garlic and peppers are done, that’s when you transfer things to the crockpot (or leave it in the instant pot). To the bacon grease cooked onions, garlic and peppers, you want to add equal portions of :
1) corn kernels - I try to do half white and half yellow sweet corn. I seldom take them from fresh cobs, I usually end up using frozen or canned
2) beans - which means either all baby limas (the small green “butter beans”) or a mix of 1/2 baby Limas, 1/4 green beans, and 1/4 either great northern white beans, navy beans, cranberry beans, or pinto beans. When I do large batches I like to add a wide variety of beans to the final fourth of the makeup. Regardless, make sure everything beyond the green beans have been cooked at least once so either use frozen, canned or rehydrate them and cook them for at least an hour if you use dried beans
3) Fall Squash - my favorite is the turban as it’s pretty close in flavor to the harder to get Native American varieties, but any sweet and buttery fall squash will work such as butternut, delicata, sugar pumpkins, kabucha, red kuri, peanut pumpkin (close second to the turban in my opinion), cushaw, or buen gusto de horno (looks disgusting like the peanut pumpkin but tastes fantastic). Do NOT use spaghetti or acorn squash. You will need to remove the seeds (which can be roasted and eaten out of hand), skin them and cut them into smaller end of your thumb sized chunks.

Add the corn, squash and beans to the instant pot/crockpot and then cook on low for about an hour. Before forgetting about it for an hour, Toss in some fresh ground black or mixed peppercorn and some fresh or dry thyme, tarragon, sage, mint, bay leaf (leave whole to remove later) and the tiniest bit of ground allspice (all of these were native to the time). And the “secret ingredient” which takes the place of historical fermented deer fat and fermented fish to provide the umami seasoning is either a half teaspoon of Vegemite or marmite or a full tablespoon of a quality fish sauce like Mikuni, Golden Boy or Red Boat. Obviously upscale the secret umami ingredient if you’re serving more than four.

After an hour add enough heavy cream that can touch all of the ingredients. You don’t want to go crazy and make a chowder but you want the cream to smooth out all of the flavors and make a “sauce”. Cook for another ten mins on low and then taste. Add any extra salt it may need at this point.

Then you’re done until mealtime. You can make it up to two days in advance so you’re not scrambling on thanksgiving. Then right before the meal, turn the crockpot or instant pot on low and reheat it for 20-30 mins to kill any bacteria that may have grown in the fridge and to get it hot for everyone.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
HROT chefs, post it here
Got no recipes to share but posted here to say sage dressing with turkey gravy is one of the best things in the world. All of the other stuff like green bean casserole and mashed potatoes I can take or leave because I have those at other times during the year. But I could eat a whole damn casserole dish of sage dressing and drink a boat of gravy with it, once a year.

Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and collards.....that's all I really need and want cooked well. It's so hard to beat (in taste) Costco's apple and pumpkin pies, that I've given up on it. I just make sure there's fresh whipped cream and good ice cream.

I get more excited about the turkey sandwiches and turkey soup that gets made the next day.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Blue Corn Chorizo Dressing:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 pound chorizo, finely diced
6 garlic cloves, finely diced
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/4 cup diced carrot
1 poblano, finely diced
1 recipe blue cornbread, crumbled
1 teaspoon coarsely chopped thyme leaves
1 teaspoon coarsely chopped sage leaves
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
1 egg
1/2 cup chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the chorizo, garlic, celery, onion, carrot and poblano for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the cornbread, thyme, sage, cilantro, egg and stock and mix well. Place in 12 by 15-inch baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.

Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and collards.....that's all I really need and want cooked well. It's so hard to beat (in taste) Costco's apple and pumpkin pies, that I've given up on it. I just make sure there's fresh whipped cream and good ice cream.

I get more excited about the turkey sandwiches and turkey soup that gets made the next day.
You want to know what's better than turkey sandwiches the day after Thankgiving? Turkey sandwiches with a little stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy worked in the day after Thanksgiving. I can almost hear myself getting fatter just imagining eating it.

You want to know what's better than turkey sandwiches the day after Thankgiving? Turkey sandwiches with a little stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy worked in the day after Thanksgiving. I can almost hear myself getting fatter just imagining eating it.

That's what I do, as well. I also add a little cranberry sauce. Extremely messy and extremely delicious. Like tomato sandwiches, it has to be on white bread. It almost disintegrates in the hand. So good.

Parmesan Bacon Brussel Sprouts

2 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound bacon cut into small strips
2 pounds brussels sprouts trimmed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Bake at 400° for 20-25 min

Crock Pot Creamed Corn

3 (15.25-ounces) cans whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into thin slices

Place corn into a slow cooker. Stir in milk, sugar and pepper until well combined. Without stirring, top with butter and cream cheese. Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours.
Uncover and stir until butter and cream cheese are well combined. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 15 minutes.

Reactions: Rudolph

2 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Crock Pot Creamed Corn

1 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place corn into a slow cooker. Stir in milk, sugar and pepper until well combined. Without stirring, top with butter and cream cheese. Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours.
Uncover and stir until butter and cream cheese are well combined. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 15 minutes.
Add a little crushed red pepper to that brussel sprouts, extra good.

Cabernet Cranberries

• 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
  • 2 teaspoons grated tangerine rind
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
Step 1
Bring sugar and wine to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients, and return to a boil, stirring constantly.

Step 2
Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until cranberry skins pop. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Cool slightly; serve warm, or chill 2 hours, if desired

Reactions: Rudolph
Cabernet Cranberries

• 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
  • 2 teaspoons grated tangerine rind
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
Step 1
Bring sugar and wine to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients, and return to a boil, stirring constantly.

Step 2
Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until cranberry skins pop. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Cool slightly; serve warm, or chill 2 hours, if desired
I have a recipe like this but uses brown sugar, and a little bourbon as well.

Found it:

1 to 1.5 bags cranberries
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup bourbon + 1/3 cup Cabernet Sauvignon; or 2/3 cup bourbon; or 2/3 cup Cab
1 roasted red jalapeño, finely chopped (seeded/veined if you don't like heat)
1 vanilla bean
1 cup sugar

Put all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until cranberries have broken down. Add the vanilla bean cut in half and then open it and scrape it after the sauce has simmered, then add the scrapings back to the sauce while it is still hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herkmeister

2 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Crock Pot Creamed Corn

1 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

No offense but I do not understand why anyone would intentionally eat creamed corn. Corn on the cob with butter and salt? Delicious! Creamed corn? Blech.

Caroline's Famous Party Potatoes

1/2 Cup Melted Oleo (or Butter)
Small Diced Onion - sautéed
2 Pound Bag of Diced Hash Brown Potatoes - thawed
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup - Campbells
1 Pint of Sour Cream
2 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Top with 1/4 Cup of Melted Oleo (Or Butter) mixed with 1/2 cup of corn flakes

Back 45 minutes at 350°

Went to a party in September. The host cooked some special beef for 24 hours and his wife made these potatoes. It was pretty funny when everybody went nuts of the potatoes and didn't say much about the beef, that was excellent.

I shit you not, skinny girls were fighting over these potatoes. :D

1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Pint of Sour Cream

Back 45 minutes at 350°

Went to a party in September. The host cooked some special beef for 24 hours and his wife made these potatoes. It was pretty funny when everybody went nuts of the potatoes and didn't say much about the beef, that was excellent.

Your party potatoes don’t have whipped potatoes in them, just hash browns?

Your party potatoes don’t have whipped potatoes in them, just hash browns?

Damn it Tenacious, I'm not a chef.

But no, diced hash browns. Them corn flakes with that butter, cheese and sour cream will send you to heaven and back brotha. :D

If you're flying, don't eat them.

Overweight-passengers-istock.jpg

Reactions: Tenacious E

1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Pint of Sour Cream

Back 45 minutes at 350°

May I make one life-changing suggestion; take the mushroom soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, and double them! I am serious, it is even more delicious. That has been my secret recipe for quite some time, but it is time to share it with someone.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Cranberry Relish

This cranberry relish is a blend of fresh cranberries, apple, orange and sugar, all mixed together to form a sweet and tart condiment. Cranberry relish is a unique and welcome addition to any holiday meal!

CourseSauce
CuisineAmerican
Keywordcranberry relish, cranberry sauce

Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time1 minute
Resting Time1 hour
Total Time11 minutes

Servings
Calories131kcal
AuthorSara Welch
INGREDIENTS
  • 12 ounces fresh cranberries
  • 1 apple cored and cut into quarters
  • 1/2 orange seeds removed and end trimmed off
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • fresh cranberries and orange zest for garnish optional
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Place the cranberries in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer the cranberries to a bowl.
  • Add the apple to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the apple to the bowl with the cranberries.
  • Add the orange to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the orange to the bowl with the cranberries and apples.
  • Add the sugar to the bowl and stir to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to 3 days.
  • Serve, garnished with cranberries and orange zest if desired.
cranberry-relish-15.jpg

May I make one life-changing suggestion; take the mushroom soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, and double them! I am serious, it is even more delicious. That has been my secret recipe for quite some time, but it is time to share it with someone.
You actually have this recipe? :eek::)

Reactions: EasyHawk
Do desserts count as "sides"?

I picked up some fresh-harvested pecans (Desirable variety) on my swing through Georgia this week.

The pecan pie is gonna be GUUD!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT