ADVERTISEMENT

Yelp has spoken: Pequod's Pizzeria in Chicago is America's best

dgordo

HR Legend
Nov 15, 2001
Chicago

Yelp has spoken: Pequod's Pizzeria in Chicago is America's best - Chicago Sun-Times​

Stefano Esposito

4–5 minutes

Pequod’s Pizza’s notorious deep-dish pie

Pequod’s Pizza’s notorious deep-dish pie was voted the No. 1 pizza in the United States, according to Yelp.
Tyler Pasciak LaRiviere/Sun-Times
Oh sure, some grouse that a Pequod's deep-dish pizza isn't a pizza at all — more like a casserole, or if they want to be really rude, like a Chicago River barge heaped with toppings.
But what do they know?
Pequod's keeps amassing the awards, including being ranked the best pizza in America, according to a just-released Yelp Elites 2024 survey.

Pequod’s Pizza, located at 2207 N. Clybourn Ave., is serving up the best pizza in the United States, according to Yelp.
“You can’t truly say you have a favorite Chicago-style deep dish pizza if you haven’t been to Pequod’s. They’re known for their caramelized crust. Highly recommend you get sausage and/or pepperoni as your meat, and add veggie toppings as you like. 16-inch /large can easily feed 3 normal adults. The huge plus is that they’re now offering reservations which means you get to eat on your time! Pro tip: Order immediately when you get seated.” according to comments by Yelp Elite, Eric W.
What is a Yelp Elite?
"The Yelp Elite Squad is a fun group of passionate locals writing, photographing and adventuring their way through the city and beyond. Elites receive a shiny badge on their profile and are invited to attend exclusive events with other locals in the community," according to the online reviewer service.

Rounding out the Top 10:​

• Bestia, Los Angeles
  • Lombardi's Pizza, New York
  • Mama D's Italian Kitchen, Newport Beach, California
  • Base Camp Pizza Co., South Lake Tahoe, California
  • Secret Pizza, Las Vegas
  • Prince Street Pizza, New York
  • Olio e Piu, New York
  • Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman, Kapolei, Oahu
  • CUCINA urbana, San Diego

A server at Pequod’s Pizza cuts and plates a freshly cooked pizza to awaiting guests.

Other Chicago-area pizzerias making the Top 100 list:​

• Piece Brewery and Pizzeria (No. 17)
  • Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. (No. 27)
  • Spacca Napoli (No. 44)
  • Calo Pizzeria Restaurant & Lounge (No. 91)
  • Coalfire (No. 98)
  • Chicago has six pizzerias on the list of 100 best. New York and California both had 10 each.
How did Yelp conduct its survey?
They used a host of criteria, including the total number of "five-star" reviews for each pizzeria.
Yelp also said that while pepperoni remains the most popular pizza topping, some restaurants are "borrowing from broader culinary trends," including New York's Prince Street Pizza, with its "hot-honey-drizzled Naughty pie," and Pequod's, which offers jalapenos as a topping.

Customers pack the bar and dinning room on Thursday afternoon at Pequod’s Pizza on North Clybourn Avenue.

Yelp has spoken: Pequod's Pizzeria in Chicago is America's best - Chicago Sun-Times​

Stefano Esposito

4–5 minutes

Pequod’s Pizza’s notorious deep-dish pie was voted the No. 1 pizza in the United States, according to Yelp.
Oh sure, some grouse that a Pequod's deep-dish pizza isn't a pizza at all — more like a casserole, or if they want to be really rude, like a Chicago River barge heaped with toppings.
But what do they know?
Pequod's keeps amassing the awards, including being ranked the best pizza in America, according to a just-released Yelp Elites 2024 survey.

Pequod’s Pizza, located at 2207 N. Clybourn Ave., is serving up the best pizza in the United States, according to Yelp.
“You can’t truly say you have a favorite Chicago-style deep dish pizza if you haven’t been to Pequod’s. They’re known for their caramelized crust. Highly recommend you get sausage and/or pepperoni as your meat, and add veggie toppings as you like. 16-inch /large can easily feed 3 normal adults. The huge plus is that they’re now offering reservations which means you get to eat on your time! Pro tip: Order immediately when you get seated.” according to comments by Yelp Elite, Eric W.
What is a Yelp Elite?
"The Yelp Elite Squad is a fun group of passionate locals writing, photographing and adventuring their way through the city and beyond. Elites receive a shiny badge on their profile and are invited to attend exclusive events with other locals in the community," according to the online reviewer service.

• Bestia, Los Angeles
  • Olio e Piu, New York

A server at Pequod’s Pizza cuts and plates a freshly cooked pizza to awaiting guests.

• Spacca Napoli (No. 44)
  • Coalfire (No. 98)
  • Chicago has six pizzerias on the list of 100 best. New York and California both had 10 each.
They used a host of criteria, including the total number of "five-star" reviews for each pizzeria.
Yelp also said that while pepperoni remains the most popular pizza topping, some restaurants are "borrowing from broader culinary trends," including New York's Prince Street Pizza, with its "hot-honey-drizzled Naughty pie," and Pequod's, which offers jalapenos as a topping.

Customers pack the bar and dinning room on Thursday afternoon at Pequod’s Pizza on North Clybourn Avenue.
A swimming pool for pepperoni. I'm sure it's tasty - it's not pizza.

Stefano Esposito

4–5 minutes

But what do they know?

What is a Yelp Elite?

• Bestia, Los Angeles
  • Olio e Piu, New York

• Spacca Napoli (No. 44)
  • Coalfire (No. 98)

What's your opinion? I haven't tried them, but pepperoni on top is a good start.

Had Pequads for the 1st time a month ago and it certainly didn't disappoint. I'd say it's in my top 5 ever and the best pan/deep dish for sure.

Last time i was in chicago, me and another friend went to go to a concert with another friend that lives in chicago.

That friend took us to Pequods. It was fantastic

So is basically every chicago style pizza out there.
Last chicago style i had from Tomasos sucked.

Didnt surprise me that when i ordered a Detroit style a couple years ago from them that they didnt know what that was either as what i received was not detroit style

Last chicago style i had from Tomasos sucked.

Didnt surprise me that when i ordered a Detroit style a couple years ago from them that they didnt know what that was either as what i received was not detroit style
Never heard of it. I can't help it if they have shitty ingredients.

It's not, it's not even very good imo, but once the ball gets rolling on published reviews....it snowballs

It's not even a top 10 pizza in Chicagoland

It's not, it's not even very good imo, but once the ball gets rolling on published reviews....it snowballs

It's not even a top 10 pizza in Chicagoland

You should get that printed on a t-shirt so nobody ever talks to you again.

Had it last fall, was good but thought it didn’t live up to the hype. I liked the crust a lot but the rest didn’t stand out to me as being great. I certainly wouldn’t say it was the best in America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT