ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz Had to Do This????

Beth Goetz is getting way too much credit here.

A bold move would have been to terminate the guy now, like so many other schools with struggling offenses have done already. All Beth did is say, "we have a lot to play for this year...that's why I'm leaving Brian and his $900,000 per year contract alone to continue calling plays through the remaining 4 games, the possible Big 10 championship game, and the Bowl game. Not sure how that gives anyone on the team (or fans) hope for salvaging the season.

Brian already had a 25 points per game stipulation in his contract. Iowa is averaging 19. Brian was already at the end of his long long rope. Telling him this is his last season is not bold at all...the writing was on the wall (and in his contract).

Last edited:
Beth Goetz is getting way too much credit here. A bold move would have been to terminate the guy mid season like so many other schools do. Telling the guy, pursuant to the contract you signed requiring 25 points per season, you are not going to meet the benchmark, but you can still keep coaching for the last half of the season, is just doing the bare minimum as an AD.
I'm going to give her a ton if credit here

I’ll be honest, when there were rumblings that Brian would step down I expected them to be of his own volition. If true that Beth had to make this call, first of all kudos to her. And second of all, did Brian and Kirk actually think they could run this back again?
I think she tried to do it with as much class as possible and being respectful of KF. I think she handled it perfectly if she was indeed the one who made the call.

Beth Goetz is getting way too much credit here. A bold move would have been to terminate the guy mid season like so many other schools do. Telling the guy, pursuant to the contract you signed requiring 25 points per season, you are not going to meet the benchmark, but you can still keep coaching for the last half of the season, is just doing the bare minimum as an AD.
Without Dad in the situation who is an Iowa legend even with a lot of lost credibility she very well may have canned them. Of course , what AD has a OC reporting to them

You serious Clark?!🤪

Hmm, I think I'll give her even more credit after reading this.

Last edited:
it would have been better to do it now rather than watch him trot out there the next 5 games

oh well, good to know change is coming in some form at least
Will make it a bit awkward for sure.
I hope that means they aren’t just going to settle by just inserting a current staff member into the position..

Haven't heard the press conference yet but I'm betting behind closed doors the options were 1.) Resign on your own terms at the end of the season, or 2.) be terminated on my terms right here, right now.

she did something as an "interim-AD" that the former AD didn't have the guts to do!!

Wow. Invent a scenario and then hand out atta boys (or girls). The only thing more fun is making up a bad scenario and then piling on.

It would be nice to know how it actually went down, but we likely never will.

Exactly. Fans will turn down the heat on BF now. No more chants to fire him, which all jokes aside....has to hurt a guy that bleeds black and gold
Idk. This definitely changes my mind on things. Brian didn’t do this voluntarily but made her do this. I had a little respect if Brian realized he needed to step away. But the temperature is back up now that Beth had to do this.

This may be very interesting. Was it not last week that he said Hayden never fired a coordinator and he would not as well. Now I know it was Beth that fired him, but you can bet she talked to Kirk concerning this. I imagine he was not thrilled with this decision. Wonder how that relationship is.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I’ll be honest, when there were rumblings that Brian would step down I expected them to be of his own volition. If true that Beth had to make this call, first of all kudos to her. And second of all, did Brian and Kirk actually think they could run this back again?
I give Beth a lot of credit for having the backbone to pull the trigger on this.

Maybe she had nothing to do with it? 🤔

Reactions: jo12208
Goetz doing this, especially with the statement makes me have a TON of respect for her honestly.
Agreed. The Iowa situation has many more tentacles than any other where the struggling OC is not a son of the HC. There really wasn't any "clean" exit here...but all things considered, this seems to be the better of any outcome I can think of. Hats off to Goetz.

3rd of all, remove the interim AD tag. Give her a raise.

A bold move would have been to terminate the guy now, like so many other schools with struggling offenses have done already.

Brian already had a 25 points per game stipulation in his contract. Iowa is averaging 19. Telling him this is his last season is not bold at all...the writing was on the wall (and in his contract).
First, the 25ppg was NOT a "succeed or gone". Second, theoretically, it could be reached in last 4 or 5 games.

She gets credit, but most likely it was donors, maybe even Swarm, that pushed it.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This may be very interesting. Was it not last week that he said Hayden never fired a coordinator and he would not as well. Now I know it was Beth that fired him, but you can bet she talked to Kirk concerning this. I imagine he was not thrilled with this decision. Wonder how that relationship is.
Its one where she tells him,I'm not Gary. I'm your boss. Get used to it.

A bold move would have been to terminate the guy now, like so many other schools with struggling offenses have done already.

Brian already had a 25 points per game stipulation in his contract. Iowa is averaging 19. Telling him this is his last season is not bold at all...the writing was on the wall (and in his contract).
Wrong. KF has had Iowa and the AD in his pocket for 20+ years. Her essentially sending the signal that those days are over is a bold and necessary move. She deserves all the credit for this.

By firing Brian I think she has essentially fired Kirk as I don't think he will stick around now. Not saying this is good or bad (on Kirk) but I hope she is prepared to hire a new HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT