ADVERTISEMENT

Betsy Devos Confirmed via Pence Vote

Bill-Hader-Popcorn-reaction-Gif-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

Plus the Democrats have nobody to blame but themselves on this.

1. Harry Reid's rule of a simple up and down vote made it possible.

2. They wanted to play games and also not confirm Jeff Sessions, so he was able to vote on this.

It's a great day in our country. Maybe now we can really reform the Department of Education and scrap common core.

You really need to educate yourself. I've been away for a bit but the ignorance that I've seen is astounding. Common core is a state initiative, sponsored by the Association of Governors. It was developed by the states, is run by the states.

Are you advocating for a wholesale takeover of education by the feds? Where are the true conservatives?

You really need to educate yourself. I've been away for a bit but the ignorance that I've seen is astounding. Common core is a state initiative, sponsored by the Association of Governors. It was developed by the states, is run by the states.

Are you advocating for a wholesale takeover of education by the feds? Where are the true conservatives?

They all became libertarians when the neocons took over the GOP.

BTW, just because the word State is in the official title of the standards...

Reactions: cigaretteman
Mortally wounded if she goes through on a tie breaker.
Best case she is incompetent. Worst case she'll have a horribly mismanaged department that embarrasses Trump.

This. While she is unqualified for the job, Trump is even more unqualified for his. She can help point this out.

Reactions: MitchL
You mean like Obama's Secretary of Labor?

If you don't understand the difference in nominating an attorney who has a significant history in labor law as the Secretary of Labor and nominating a person with no educational background as the secretary of Education I can't help you. My point was that a lawyer who spent a career as a lawyer for the NEA would not be qualified for the department of education. Just like this person is not qualified to lead the department of education

A career labor lawyer is certainly qualified to be secretary of labor

I'm so happy that I got my public education in the 80's, when Iowa still led the nation. Also happy I don't have kids. Today's public schools are a shadow of what they were. This pick to lead them certainly won't help.
So keep doing what has been failing as you noted? I'm not a DeVos fan but the status quo in education is a complete mess.

So keep doing what has been failing as you noted? I'm not a DeVos fan but the status quo in education is a complete mess.

So having DeVos run the department will somehow fix it?

If you are going to hire an outsider, at least have it be someone who changed or turned around for the better whatever industry they were previously working in instead of this.

I'm so happy that I got my public education in the 80's, when Iowa still led the nation. Also happy I don't have kids. Today's public schools are a shadow of what they were. This pick to lead them certainly won't help.
I grew up in the Iowa City school system and I believe it was one of the top elementary school districts in the country at the time. Also, IC West was ranked #25th public HS and City was ranked #28th. Now, I believe West is 287th and City isn't even in the top 500.

Plus the Democrats have nobody to blame but themselves on this.

1. Harry Reid's rule of a simple up and down vote made it possible.

2. They wanted to play games and also not confirm Jeff Sessions, so he was able to vote on this.

On #2, it wouldn't have mattered as 1 of the 2 republicans who voted against her would have flipped. Its not a coincidence that as many GOP voted against her as possible without changing the result, clearly it was coordinated.

So having DeVos run the department will somehow fix it?

If you are going to hire an outsider, at least have it be someone who changed or turned around for the better whatever industry they were previously working in instead of this.
I'd agree, there were likely better choices but... the left was going to freak out no matter who the outsider was, bc they need to protect their teachers union votes.

I'd agree, there were likely better choices but... the left was going to freak out no matter who the outsider was, bc they need to protect their teachers union votes.

So, the choice was made based on who would freak the left out the most instead of who might be able to best reform the department???

Wow. That's the right for you.

There would have been plenty of great outsider choices available that lean right whom the left would have been "ok" with and a better choice than DeVos. There wasn't a widespread freak out over Rex Tillerson for SOS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT