ADVERTISEMENT

Betsy Devos Confirmed via Pence Vote

Like teacher unions are going to disappear? If anything, teachers unions will be more of a thorn in side of voucher educatin....as they will insist on equal opportunities for ALL students. Mattski...your wet dream might be to privatize public education but that just isn't the case. The education system will just become more of a microcosm of the society we,have today...the gap between "haves" and "have nots" will widen of the poor will become more underserved than they are today.....and the number of "have nots" will increase.

When schools have to compete for students, they will improve.

If students are forced to go to a particular school, then there isn't any real motivation for that school to improve. They have a captive audience. But if students and parents are empowered to vote with their feet, things WILL improve and/or chronically-bad schools will close their doors.

Reactions: cruhawk
False. It came to this point because Trump appointed a woman who is completely unqualified for the position.

Again, if he wanted an outsider to completely change and reform the landscape of public education, that's fine. He could have found several great "outsider" candidates who changed an industry.

What do you suggest? Just curious of what ideas you might have to make public education better.

I suggest we would be better off not trying to put a square peg into a round hole in many student cases. Meaning HS has, for much of it, become about college readiness and quite frankly that just isn't going to be a high percentage of students paths. I would suggest identifying college bound and trade bound kids earlier and setting them in a path where they will experience the most success (and no that doesn't mean that trade based kids can't or won't attend college). I would suggest this could be discovered to a very high probability by the start of ones JR year (and yes aholes I know there are always exceptions).

I think our education people forget that a plumber can make more than $100/hr easily, or a carpenter or whatever. I think the system doesn't value those skill or the kids who fit those skills enough. I think if the system did provide college bound and a real trade bound paths that society would be much better off and we would be getting better value for our education money.

Trump got elected bc we talked about feelings and how we say things more so than the actual results and outcomes we were getting. Our politics lost focus of what really matters, results and bc of that we got Trump.

i would suggest required parental involvement. not sure how that would work in public education but it needs to happen. my kids go to private school so they can make it required or the kids are expelled.

I am not sure how far I would go down this path HOWEVER I do think that schools need to be able to more easily kick students out. Its a privilege that everyone is afforded but, IMO, we have made public schooling an absolutely right.

If students are forced to go to a particular school, then there isn't any real motivation for that school to improve. They have a captive audience. But if students and parents are empowered to vote with their feet, things WILL improve and/or chronically-bad schools will close their doors.

there will never be real competition when private schools can deny anyone they want.

I am not sure how far I would go down this path HOWEVER I do think that schools need to be able to more easily kick students out. Its a privilege that everyone is afforded but, IMO, we have made public schooling an absolutely right.

Well, that might be because, at the state level, it is a right. And what do we do with the kids who get kicked out?

Not the answer.

You're right, less money and more kids per classroom seems to be working wonders. I know! Let's give them some laptops and cut another teacher so it looks like they're all 21st century. Meanwhile kids are graduating high school who cannot do math, don't grasp science, and can't write proper English. Cutting school funding has created a generation of imbeciles.

Those are your words, not mine. My point is any OUTSIDER was going to be met with this same level of freak out when it came to education secretary.
Tillerson was met with plenty of vitriol, but his appointment doesn't hit home for Ds like an out of left field DeVos does bc voters don't really care who the SoS is.
"Outsider" and "incompetent" are two different words that have two different meanings.

I think if the system did provide college bound and a real trade bound paths that society would be much better off and we would be getting better value for our education money.

This might have some legs to it. I like certain aspects of it.

However, this is a separate issue from how to improve the overall quality of education (whatever that curriculum or career path might be).

How about the millions of students in rural America. No options. Quality of schools is basically good but less attention is spelling disaster. Many are in trouble. The states are letting them deteriorate now, like Iowa. This is a blind woman in a dark closet.

They didn't run a campaign on draining the swamp.

You are going to have to own this.
I'd say nominating DeVos it is the definition of draining the swamp.

Maybe you guys should jump on board with defunding the Department of Education.

With this much concern about the power of our government maybe you guys are conservatives after all.

I'd agree, there were likely better choices but... the left was going to freak out no matter who the outsider was, bc they need to protect their teachers union votes.
This.

This is one hundred percent about protecting their teachers unions.

Please. So a kid in Butt****, Iowa, the only school in his county, will have the opportunity to go where for school? This may work, somewhat limited, in more populous areas but the problem is just as great in rural and poor America as it is,in urban America. The problem, like so many others raised by the right, ha NO easy answers. It is not "the unions" who are always at fault, contrary to your preferred beliefs. Pisspoor local school boards who ar unable to see past their personal prejudices are equally, if not more at fault. Understand that nationally less than 10% f the eligible voters participate in how the large amount of money is spent. I don't think too many "teacher unions" thought building multi-million dollar football stadiums with federal dollars was a god use of education funds when salaries, professional growth ladies, books and equipment probably were higher priorities, educationally speaking.

I'd say nominating DeVos it is the definition of draining the swamp.

I'd say you don't know what draining the swamp means (which doesn't surprise me).

“My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican Party. I have decided to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence,” she wrote. “Now I simply concede the point. They are right."

To drain the swamp would be to not appoint people who ARE the swamp. You are struggling mightily

WTF are you talking about? The Clinton Foundation is running full tilt. They shut down ONE (1) program and they announced that months before the election.

Damn...
LOL. There have been tons of huge decommitments of funds to the Clinton Foundation. Weird timing don't you think?

It must suck to be so wrong on something you were so dickheadish about. Come back and admit you are a sad victim of fake news.
Nope. It's no secret that donations plummeted once access to the White House was not going to come to fruition. This isn't hard stuff. And it's certainly not made up

Yawn. The teachers unions to donate more to the Democrat Party than just about anybody

In 2016 the oil industry donated $100 million dollars to political candidates and pacs, of which 90% went to Republicans. What did that get them, Secretary of State to start. Drain the swamp my ass. The NEA is small potatoes at less than 30 million

You're right, less money and more kids per classroom seems to be working wonders. I know! Let's give them some laptops and cut another teacher so it looks like they're all 21st century. Meanwhile kids are graduating high school who cannot do math, don't grasp science, and can't write proper English. Cutting school funding has created a generation of imbeciles.

On avg we spend around $165k per student K - 12, money isn't the issue. Allocation of resources certainly might be poor but the amount dumping into the system certain is not.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Let capitalism take care of them.

What if they become a true "deplorable" and end up committing violent crimes? Then the crime rate (which is actually about the lowest it has been in 50 years contrary to Trump's lie) goes back up to 1980 rates and the right ends up bit**ing about the crime rate? Am i right?

This might have some legs to it. I like certain aspects of it.

However, this is a separate issue from how to improve the overall quality of education (whatever that curriculum or career path might be).

I think for a large portion of our students the quality is good but for those who are not college bound it is sub par bc it isn't meeting their needs. I see this issue as a huge overall quality issue.

What if they become a true "deplorable" and end up committing violent crimes? Then the crime rate (which is actually about the lowest it has been in 50 years contrary to Trump's lie) goes back up to 1980 rates and the right ends up bit**ing about the crime rate? Am i right?

Capital punishment brah.

Dark days ahead. It looks like the GOP has decided that, right or wrong, they're going to change as much as possible just to be able to say they had the power to do it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think for a large portion of our students the quality is good but for those who are not college bound it is sub par bc it isn't meeting their needs. I see this issue as a huge overall quality issue.

Hmm...

The local high schools in my district have many classes for trade bound students. Workshop, drafting, auto mechanic, and many other introductions into the trades.

Obviously, what you are suggesting is probably a more comprehensive idea, but the opportunity for students wanting those careers currently exists in many high schools.

Also, a widespread complaint I have heard is that many young adults (in trades or college educated) aren't knowledgeable in many basic areas such as math, science, and critical thinking. Wouldn't cutting these classes for trade bound students further that gap of knowledge?

Hmm...

The local high schools in my district have many classes for trade bound students. Workshop, drafting, auto mechanic, and many other introductions into the trades.

Obviously, what you are suggesting is probably a more comprehensive idea, but the opportunity for students wanting those careers currently exists in many high schools.

Also, a widespread complaint I have heard is that many young adults (in trades or college educated) aren't knowledgeable in many basic areas such as math, science, and critical thinking. Wouldn't cutting these classes for trade bound students further that gap of knowledge?

My honest answer is if they don't know basic math, science or reading by their JR year do you think 2 more year of straight book learning is going to help? A few, sure, the masses in that situation...probably not.

Also, YES, I would see that trades path as very intense and with lots of field work involved. Some kids just don't learn in a classroom setting, it isn't how their brains work. I would foresee a big need for a strong public/private partnership between the business and school community with an option such as this.

Or hell why not teach them all these trades via a habitat for humanity project that spans a whole year or semester. They would not only learn the crafts but also end up being prideful in their work...that is a win win.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The new Department of Education Logo is sharp I have to admit:

C4Fp0VFWAAMH4SL.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT