ADVERTISEMENT

BF...Hawks building offense in spitting image of New England's offense.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
As much as I hate the Pats, recently I've been thinking that the Iowa offense is looking very much like theirs in terms of personnel. Athletic O-line, tight end focus in the pass game, undersized sure handed slot receivers, no big play/go to wide receivers, serviceable run game but no one with outright bonkers stat lines. Of course, they are highly accomplished and very effective in executing their offense. We are emulating them as best we can right now and the process is in its relative infancy.

Given the Ferentz discipleship under Belichik, it comes as little surprise to see this taking place. I believe BF has a bigger plan and is working to build a juggernaut based on the afore mentioned example. I think the success is coming. Observations by Randazzo and Kakert in the HawkeyeReport Podcast have led me to believe others are noticing this trend as well.

Reactions: hawki05
Not true, New England is a pass 1st offense that runs their offense 90% from the spread. Iowa is a run 1st offense that operates close to 80% with the QB under center. Not even close.

Not true, New England is a pass 1st offense that runs their offense 90% from the spread. Iowa is a run 1st offense that operates close to 80% with the QB under center. Not even close.
My main focus as mentioned was personnel. Clear difference in the scheme and kind of plays they run in most cases, but we are working to imitate them organizationally and with players. Despite the difference (spread/pass first vs. under center/run first) there are significant similarities.

True. I'd like Iowa to be more like NE, because NE actually scores a lot.

Watching NE right now. I see a lot of 4 wide sets on early downs. On 3rd down, 5 wide instead of trying to run into brick wall. Very few instances of Fullback or two Tight ends packed in like Brian runs.

NE only has Cook to stretch the field. They don't have top notch WR talent and get by.

I think BF is trying to build an offense that is some where between where New England is and Iowa has been. I think the reason for the multiple TE sets is because Fant and Hockinson are two of Iowa's better players. We have better TE's then receivers at this point, so its smart to get them on the field. But when Iowa was clicking last season, I loved the potential they showed. Obviously, they need to get consistency on the offense or it won't matter if they run the pro set, wishbone or the old wing T.

My main focus as mentioned was personnel. Clear difference in the scheme and kind of plays they run in most cases, but we are working to imitate them organizationally and with players. Despite the difference (spread/pass first vs. under center/run first) there are significant similarities.
Lol, talk about back tracking. Thread title “...Spitting image of New England’s Offense” haha.

Lol, talk about back tracking. Thread title “...Spitting image of New England’s Offense” haha.
Yes spitting image was wrong. Still working through my theory on the Belichik influence on the Ferentzs and how our offense and program are evolving relative to that.

I'm thinking that one advantage in running the ball out of the spread is that there are not as many bodies around (both defensive and offensive) to clog things up. Our heavy run packages probably didn't help Wadley who excels in space.

As much as I hate the Pats, recently I've been thinking that the Iowa offense is looking very much like theirs in terms of personnel. Athletic O-line, tight end focus in the pass game, undersized sure handed slot receivers, no big play/go to wide receivers, serviceable run game but no one with outright bonkers stat lines. Of course, they are highly accomplished and very effective in executing their offense. We are emulating them as best we can right now and the process is in its relative infancy.

Given the Ferentz discipleship under Belichik, it comes as little surprise to see this taking place. I believe BF has a bigger plan and is working to build a juggernaut based on the afore mentioned example. I think the success is coming. Observations by Randazzo and Kakert in the HawkeyeReport Podcast have led me to believe others are noticing this trend as well.
Bahahahaha

I think BF is trying to build an offense that is some where between where New England is and Iowa has been. I think the reason for the multiple TE sets is because Fant and Hockinson are two of Iowa's better players. We have better TE's then receivers at this point, so its smart to get them on the field. But when Iowa was clicking last season, I loved the potential they showed. Obviously, they need to get consistency on the offense or it won't matter if they run the pro set, wishbone or the old wing T.
With the money involved and i cant really blame the players. But the truth is after a couple of injuires and you know with kirks blessing the nfl is going to make you a millionaire. It is kind of hard to remain consistently motivated playing for a scholly and food.i think this is especially true after a team loses a game or two in the first five games of the season.

Last edited:
If they ever get a QB as good as Brady maybe you will see more scoring and a more spread out O. ok, Brees good would work as well.
2 games this year where the QB played really well, saw the field and threw the ball accurately and we caught the ball as well---OSU/ISU , the offense looked different than the NW/MSU games.....
That said I agree we need to spread teams out more than we do even when we want to run the ball and quit playing in the phone booth as much..

Reactions: Harbinger273
Definitely alot of inconsistency on Offense but it did look very good in certain games. Seems like a young players needing more experience and mental toughness issue. No need to fundamentally change the O, but being able to keep a defense off balance would be good. It would also be nice to be able to pass regardless of whether we are able to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964
With the money involved and i cant really blame the players. But the truth is after a couple of injuires and you know with kirks blessing the nfl is going to make you a millionaire. It is kind of hard to remain consistently motivated playing for a scholly and food.i think this is especially true after a team loses a game or two in the first five games of the season.

Not sure I understand all of this post but I think the highlighted area is a complete fail.

This really seems like it could have been meant for another thread.

I'm sticking with my personnel focused assessment of our similarity to NE. I agree with an earlier post about BF trying to build something in between where we are and NE is right now.

I think the Steelers balanced style with use of TEs and a strong but not very mobile QB is a more accurate comparison. I think it’s much harder in college to run a “system” offense. Especially at Iowa. You have to be able to gear your offense to your personnel because talents very each year. Flexibility is paramount.

Iowa will never be able to run NE's offense. They have an all pro QB who has been running this offense for 15+ years. We get QB's for a maximum of 3 seasons,,,and new WR's every 2-3 years. Be realistic. Our TE's is our biggest asset at this time on offense.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
I think the Steelers balanced style with use of TEs and a strong but not very mobile QB is a more accurate comparison. I think it’s much harder in college to run a “system” offense. Especially at Iowa. You have to be able to gear your offense to your personnel because talents very each year. Flexibility is paramount.
I do think this comparison is closer. Maybe its not just about the jerseys and the titles in the 70's. Are we not running a system offense here at Iowa despite the greater difficulty in doing so relative to the stability of an NFL franchise? A common complaint about Iowa seems to be the lack of flexibility depending on personnel. Seems to me Iowa is predominantly system focused based on staff rhetoric and on field product.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Personnel similarities don't mean much when the philosophy is night and day different. Doesn't every team want Super Bowl quality personnel?

Pretty similar except for Brady, Amendola, Hogan and a world-class OL.

Iowa's offense is horrible. Blame lies at the top. No way to candy coat it. BF is a failed experiment.

I'm not sure I really understand the "Kirk's blessing" making you a millionaire. I was a walk on so my motivation WAS the scholly. Not sure what you are trying to say here but to me the BIGGEST motivation was pride and hating to lose PERIOD.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Yes spitting image was wrong. Still working through my theory on the Belichik influence on the Ferentzs and how our offense and program are evolving relative to that.

I'm thinking that one advantage in running the ball out of the spread is that there are not as many bodies around (both defensive and offensive) to clog things up. Our heavy run packages probably didn't help Wadley who excels in space.
Well, he didn't teach them how to cheat - damnit.

I think he gets this year to prove you wrong but admit calling Brian a success is equally as far fetched as calling him a failure.
Love people who think he should only get one year, when that year he had a rookie QB, new WR's, and lost BOTH tackles in the first couple of weeks of the season, not to mention the other two offensive coaches were in their first year on the staff. Yea, no reason for some growing pains or inconsistency in that scenario???? Yes we had some stinkers, but also some amazing potencial in games like ISU, OSU, and Nebraska. Of course there always seem to be people who only look at one side of the equation, and totally dismiss those things that don't add to their negativity.

I went and looked up the stats. NE passes the ball 58.92% of the time and are 16th in the league. Jacksonville, the team notorious for running the ball and playing good defense this year, passes the ball 50.25% of the time and are last in the league. Iowa passes the ball 44.13% of the time. As I look at the numbers more and more I don't know that Brian really knows what he is try to mirror.

Love people who think he should only get one year, when that year he had a rookie QB, new WR's, and lost BOTH tackles in the first couple of weeks of the season, not to mention the other two offensive coaches were in their first year on the staff. Yea, no reason for some growing pains or inconsistency in that scenario???? Yes we had some stinkers, but also some amazing potencial in games like ISU, OSU, and Nebraska. Of course there always seem to be people who only look at one side of the equation, and totally dismiss those things that don't add to their negativity.

He will have 2 years to show a body of work under the timeline I presented. No one is saying he needs to be a top 30 offense but there does need to be progress. You cannot perform worse than the person you are replacing in a performance based job and expect to keep your job. I hope it works out the numbers are what they are.

He will have 2 years to show a body of work under the timeline I presented. No one is saying he needs to be a top 30 offense but there does need to be progress. You cannot perform worse than the person you are replacing in a performance based job and expect to keep your job. I hope it works out the numbers are what they are.
I agree, the proof should be in the pudding after this next season. My response was more echoing your statement that he should get another FULL season to show his work, and to Texas Twisters remarks that BF has been a failed experiment. Of course we should expect nothing less from his posts.

and to Texas Twisters remarks that BF has been a failed experiment. Of course we should expect nothing less from his posts.
Of course....whatever that means. I was skeptical of the hiring with it being the son; however, willing to give BF a year to prove me wrong. He did not prove me wrong. His hiring appears to be nothing but nepotism. It wasn't a position he merited.

He must have some idea what he's going for. Alot of Dink and dunk short passes and use of the tight end. Despite the obvious frustrations, qb still managed to have one of the better statistical years of any during the KF era. I also think they were coaching Stanley to play fairly conservatively in his first year as a starter. Only 6 interceptions would be one indicator of that.

The issue of running the ball needs to be addressed in terms of adjusting when we are not running the ball well. We were in a bit of a bind this year with the new QB and unexpectedly below par line play. I would like to see no less than 50% passing though.

I'm not sure I really understand the "Kirk's blessing" making you a millionaire. I was a walk on so my motivation WAS the scholly. Not sure what you are trying to say here but to me the BIGGEST motivation was pride and hating to lose PERIOD.

You played for iowa you my respect.

Uh, okay.

He must have some idea what he's going for. Alot of Dink and dunk short passes and use of the tight end. Despite the obvious frustrations, qb still managed to have one of the better statistical years of any during the KF era. I also think they were coaching Stanley to play fairly conservatively in his first year as a starter. Only 6 interceptions would be one indicator of that.

The issue of running the ball needs to be addressed in terms of adjusting when we are not running the ball well. We were in a bit of a bind this year with the new QB and unexpectedly below par line play. I would like to see no less than 50% passing though.
IMHO I think Stanley was browbeat to not throw interceptions causing him to over throw a lot of his deep balls. You could definitely tell he wasn't throwing a 50/50 ball and giving his WR's a chance at making a big play. Those throw's looked more like throw's just trying to keep the D honest and not make a mistake.

Reactions: Harbinger273
The comparisons of the evolving Hawkeye offense to the NE Patriots offense have resurfaced. No question BF is taking what he learned in the NFL under Belicik and what he and other coaches continue to pick up from NE and incorporating it here at Iowa.
I would be curious to learn what influence Belicik and McDaniel have taken from past offensive schemes such as Air Coryell. Hawk Coaches visited New England once again this off season and I'm sure came away with some great stuff.
One evolving element of our offense that portends Iowa's emulation of NE is the Running back personnel and usage. I think we are seeing some more passing to the backs and we are recruiting a little bit smaller scatbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT