ADVERTISEMENT

Biden’s unpopularity could give Trump his shot at reclaiming power

Biden may be losing it, but he put together a staff that has run things well. That is what gives me hope for another four years of Ol' Joe. It's not the revolving door the Trump had when he was in the WH. That and it wouldn't be Trump. The thought of Kamala ever being in charge still scares me though so if he could replace her that would be great.
Think what you will about the staff, but recognize that the nature of Washington is that at the beginning of that second term, said staff will seek to monetize their time at the White House.

Of course he is better than Trump and I do think his administration has governed somewhat effectively. But he is not better than at least 10 other Dems I can think of off the top of my head and I think he has really started to slip. That will accelerate as he gets even older. Do we really want a doddering old fool as President?

Any other middle of the road dem will trounce Trump in the general election. I am not convinced Biden wins because a Trump vs. Biden general election may keep independents like me away from the voting booth next year.

That’s why I find the whole thing arrogant.
If the doddering old fool is as effective as he was in his first term, absolutely. In fact, he's probably the only person equipped to get anything done because of his experience. In the politics of today, you need someone who knows how to get things done if you want to accomplish something. Sure, there are plenty of younger Democrats who a certainly capable of doing the job, but I don't know if a newbie will be able to get nearly as much done. Typically, it takes two years for new Presidents to figure out the job. Biden didn't need that because he already had on the job training plus multiple decades in the Senate to prepare him. That's why he was able to respond so quickly in his first two years. Fortunately, he has done such a good job the next person in the office won't have to be as perfect the first two years as Biden had to be.

Reactions: nelly02
Biden may be losing it, but he put together a staff that has run things well. That is what gives me hope for another four years of Ol' Joe. It's not the revolving door the Trump had when he was in the WH. That and it wouldn't be Trump. The thought of Kamala ever being in charge still scares me though so if he could replace her that would be great.
There's not corruption and indictments in Joe's White House.

Kamala - I will never get this either. She wouldn't do anything that damaged the country. She stands for the same thing the other Democrats do. She'd be fine. If for any reason she went off the rails, Congress would stop her. Otherwise, the things she would want done, Biden already has. Her job would be to steer the ship for a couple of years. I have no more worry over her than Amy, Pete, or any of the others that ran in 2020.

She frightens me far far less than any Republican until the day comes where they get MAGA shoved out to irrelevancy. Kamala isn't going to be a dictator. She doesn't crave that unlike the right.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the job Biden is doing, but I also recognize that him running again is a huge unnecessary gamble against Trump. In today's political world, a huge percentage of the electorate pays no attention to the day to day successes and failures of a President. It's a personality contest, Trump could completely change most of his postions and lose none of his cultists. Biden is, unfortunately, an old school type politician who is respected but not really loved, like Obama, Clinton, Reagan, etc were. He's in the Bush senior, Carter, Nixon realm where nobody's running through walls to vote for them. Add in the age factor, and it's a big gamble in 2024. The door is wide open against Trump for any younger, more charismatic Democrat to energize the electorate like Donald energizes his base.

Only the blind can't see this
Agree

Georgia, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada, and Pennsylvania. Trump has to flip at least three of those States and still hang on to North Carolina.
That's asking a lot.

Traveler, you’ve been very reasonable in your comments this morning and I generally agree with much of your sentiment.

However, the bolded part of your comment is what concerns me…and I hear it from many besides you. It seems to abandon logic. If you (others) feel like Trump is unacceptable under any conditions, how can one adopt the position of voting third party or not voting? That action will only increase the likelihood of the outcome you believe is unacceptable.

Isn’t this just a classic lesser of two evils conundrum?
If we get to a Trump vs. Biden scenario I am absolutely voting Biden and that would be a lesser of two evils type scenario. But I think a lot of other 2020 Biden voters will stay at home. This is my takeaway from looking at the polls, from conversations, etc.

I firmly believe any other moderate democrat beats Trump like a drum. So I don’t see why we are stuck in a lesser of two evil scenario when Biden could drop out and let the Dems nominate someone who will serve our country better for the next four years.

Not sure anything can prove how ****ed up we are politically as a nation than the fact we are likely looking at Trump vs Biden in 24 and even worse, Trump has a legit chance to win.

It is damning on many levels. Neither should be running and are the best either party has to offer, and Trump is a compromised narcissist criminal. Our country is ****ed if we can’t get better informed citizens who are not brainwashed.

If we get to a Trump vs. Biden scenario I am absolutely voting Biden and that would be a lesser of two evils type scenario. But I think a lot of other 2020 Biden voters will stay at home. This is my takeaway from looking at the polls, from conversations, etc.

I firmly believe any other moderate democrat beats Trump like a drum. So I don’t see why we are stuck in a lesser of two evil scenario when Biden could drop out and let the Dems nominate someone who will serve our country better for the next four years.
I get what you are saying but I think that is absolutely why Republicans should not nominate Trump. The 2020 Biden voters WILL show up to vote against Trump or his mini-me DeSantis. They won’t if someone else.

Um, Dems gutted the red wave in 2022 and have shredded the Rs in special elections since the midterms. This election has 2018 written all over it in which the Rs lost their asses. With Biden, without Biden, it doesn't matter. The GOP is so disgusting that voters will vote against them even with a geezer in the WH.

Um, Dems gutted the red wave in 2022 and have shredded the Rs in special elections since the midterms. This election has 2018 written all over it in which the Rs lost their asses. With Biden, without Biden, it doesn't matter. The GOP is so disgusting that voters will vote against them even with a geezer in the WH.
Without the electoral college, I don’t think the GOP wins the presidency for for foreseeable future. I do worry that some of the purple/swing states could be a problem if Dems in those states are not motivated. I also worry about GOP state office holders monkeying around in the elections process.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Please allow me to put some perspective on your statement. He was impeached twice by a democrat lead House and never convicted in the Senate and all impeachment managers were democrats. (unlike the non-partisan impeachment of the Republican TX Attorney General who was impeached by a Republican legislature) and Trump has been indicted by all democrat prosecutors and judges, so politics is the only reason any of this has happened.

So please don't try and say "twice impeached and 4 time indicted"
It sounds like you are serious.

Twice impeached and 4 times indicted are absolute facts. And, he earned all of it.

Without the electoral college, I don’t think the GOP wins the presidency for for foreseeable future. I do worry that some of the purple/swing states could be a problem if Dems in those states are not motivated. I also worry about GOP state office holders monkeying around in the elections process.
Millennials and Gen Zers will be highly motivated to vote the Rs out. Doesn't matter the state, Rs are going to eat shit in 24.

I get what you are saying but I think that is absolutely why Republicans should not nominate Trump. The 2020 Biden voters WILL show up to vote against Trump or his mini-me DeSantis. They won’t if someone else.
Don't underestimate our feelings about taking away women's rights, not to mention not wanting to live under far right authoritarianism. I can live under Republican rule - normal Republicans - I don't think anyone on the left wants to live under what that party is offering up. Until that threat is gone, Democrats will show.

Yup. And if the Dems do nothing with this data, knowing there's a real chance of losing with Biden they are even dumber.
I'm no Biden cheerleader, but he's done alright IMO. Not great and certainly not terrible. His leadership and coalition building in the Ukraine/Russian conflict alone makes him more than worthy of reelection. Would I prefer a younger more dynamic Democrat as the nominee? Absolutely!

I don't see anyway that Trump wins the WH again, even against Old Joe.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Joe doesn't excite me... nor would anyone his age. That said, he's done a fine enough job. Wish DNC and the Biden Camp would come up with a solution for a way for him to bow out and have 2-3 much younger candidates make a run. However, until that happens this is what we've got. DNC doesn't feel they need to do anything as it stands.

The “undecideds” in all these polls aren’t gonna break for Trump.

He has a hardest ceiling in the history of ceilings.

He’s still a sure fire loser and will grab down the down ballot vote.

Joe ain’t popular but he isn’t toxic…
Boring isn't good enough for the American public and media and their short attention spans for sure.

Reactions: Tom Paris
He is not the best choice because:
  1. I believe he is in cognitive decline and the next 4 years will make that worse.
  2. I think he is about the least electable moderate democrat vs. Trump...I think having Biden in the general election keeps the right leaning soccer moms and fiscal conservatives at home - regardless of the abortion topic. The polls are clear on his lack of support. And we need someone that can crush the MAGA movement by winning over the never Trumper set.
  3. I don’t believe Biden has what it takes to tackle some of the modern topics we are likely to see in the next presidency (AI, cybersecurity, climate change, etc)
There is such a thing as just being too old. And Biden is.
1. Why is age an issue for Biden but not Trump? It makes no sense. I'm not saying you are wrong on that being an issue, it is just a manufactured concern because if age were the issue, then Trump, Grassley, McConnell, Feinstein, and probably a dozen other people should be unelectable as well.

2. The abortion issue has single handily flipped around a half dozen special elections since Roe v. Wade was overturned. You better believe you are going to see ads with Republicans saying how they want a national ban on abortion about every 10 minutes starting in July next summer. Several states are putting women's right's protection policies on the ballot next fall for the express purpose of bringing people out to the voting booth (and protecting women's choices over their bodies, of course). That's what the entire purpose behind the Republican attempt to change the policy adopting rules in Ohio last summer. I can't disagree with you more than I do right here. The evidence just doesn't support the idea that people won't come out to vote on this issue by itself.

3. This one is kind of silly. No President is an expert in everything. That's why they appoint experts who are the best in their field and then listen to their advice. So, the question shouldn't be "Does Biden understand this?" The question should be, "Who is Biden going to appoint to be an advisor and who is he listening to make decisions on?" People need to compare who will be advising Biden vs. who will be advising pretty much any GOP candidate. Which ones are more likely to be compromised? And before you let Hannity and Tucker answer that question for you, keep in mind the people Biden has appointed right now are not raping the US treasury instead of doing their jobs. Something that was common policy for many (most?) people Trump put in a position.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
1. Why is age an issue for Biden but not Trump? It makes no sense. I'm not saying you are wrong on that being an issue, it is just a manufactured concern because if age were the issue, then Trump, Grassley, McConnell, Feinstein, and probably a dozen other people should be unelectable as well.

2. The abortion issue has single handily flipped around a half dozen special elections since Roe v. Wade was overturned. You better believe you are going to see ads with Republicans saying how they want a national ban on abortion about every 10 minutes starting in July next summer. Several states are putting women's right's protection policies on the ballot next fall for the express purpose of bringing people out to the voting booth (and protecting women's choices over their bodies, of course). That's what the entire purpose behind the Republican attempt to change the policy adopting rules in Ohio last summer. I can't disagree with you more than I do right here. The evidence just doesn't support that people won't come out to vote on this issue by itself.

3. This one is kind of silly. No President is an expert in everything. That's why they appoint experts who are the best in their field and then listen to their advice. So, the question shouldn't be "Does Biden understand this?" The question should be, "Who is Biden going to appoint to be an advisor and who is he listening to make decisions on?" People need to compare who will be advising Biden vs. who will be advising pretty much any GOP candidate. Which ones are more likely to be compromised? And before you let Hannity and Tucker answer that question for you, keep in mind the people Biden has appointed right now are not raping the US treasury instead of doing their jobs. Something that was common policy for many (most?) people Trump put in a position.
Good comments…responding in kind.

1. I think age is an issue for all of them, perhaps it was not clear but I voted Biden and would hold my nose and do it again if it is against Trump. But I still think there should be age limits for any national office and I would prefer better choices than Biden vs Trump.
2. I hope you are right, and yet I am continually amazed at how quickly people come to accept a bad status quo. I hope the MAGA types get absolutely pounded in 2024, but I have underestimated the indifference of independents before (2016) and I am nervous. Plus, this is about Biden vs another dem. Just because Biden might win due to RvW doesn’t mean he should be President over a more qualified candidate.
3. To my point above, it seems to me Biden is experiencing some type of cognitive decline. This is not at all surprising given his age. Will he be capable of making an effective decision, will he be capable of processing what the experts say in his last 18 months of the next term? Are we looking at another Ronald Reagan circa 1987? I would prefer we don’t go down that path.

Anyway, it’s all somewhat academic as it is very unlikely Biden bows out. And I will vote for him in that scenario with a deep sigh and quite a bit of grumbling about the stranglehold our two parties have on the American political landscape.

No. Trump isn't gaining any votes he didn't get before, and will lose some he did. Biden didn't generate any excitement the first time either. For every voter who voted FOR Biden, there were probably two who showed up to vote against Trump. That's not changing.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

Majority of likely Democratic voters say party should ditch Biden, poll shows​

politics-president-joe-biden-01-gty-llr-220717_1658086993467_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Of course he is better than Trump and I do think his administration has governed somewhat effectively. But he is not better than at least 10 other Dems I can think of off the top of my head and I think he has really started to slip. That will accelerate as he gets even older. Do we really want a doddering old fool as President?

Any other middle of the road dem will trounce Trump in the general election. I am not convinced Biden wins because a Trump vs. Biden general election may keep independents like me away from the voting booth next year.

That’s why I find the whole thing arrogant.
If there was a sure bet moderate D to run, I think Biden would step aside. Who do you think that would be?

I have spoken a lot about the narcissism of Trump. But let’s be real, how arrogant and narcissistic does one have to be at Biden’s age to truly believe you are the left’s best choice for president? No one should be President at 80+ years old - full stop. To think you have what it takes to govern at that age is foolish.

Biden has an opportunity to gracefully bow out. There is still plenty of time for a broad primary slate to find an effective candidate. Unfortunately I don’t think his ego or his enablers will allow this to happen. I hope I’m wrong.
It’s not Biden’s age, it’s his cognitive skills. Bernie Sanders is about the same age, and nobody is talking about his age.

Reactions: CaboKP
It’s not Biden’s age, it’s his cognitive skills. Bernie Sanders is about the same age, and nobody is talking about his age.
Let's be honest. If Bernie was Prez his age would suddenly become an issue.

Without Roe v Wade going down there would have been a huge red wave.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Big news on CNN, a full 55% of people polled believe Trump acted inappropriately. Over 50% now!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT