ADVERTISEMENT

Biden’s unpopularity could give Trump his shot at reclaiming power

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

CNN —
The devastating verdict voters deliver on President Joe Biden in a new CNN poll is especially stark ahead of the most unprecedented election in modern times. Fourteen months before his fate is decided, Biden’s unpopularity may be brewing the only possible conditions in which a disgraced and anti-democratic ex-president, who might be a convicted felon by Election Day, would be able to squeeze back into power.

It begs the question of how GOP front-runner Donald Trump, whose administration was a four-year cacophony of chaos, scandal and fury, and who tried to cling to power after losing the 2020 election, could be locked in a statistical tie (47% to 46% among registered voters) with Biden after facing 91 criminal charges across four cases.

The chief rationale behind Biden’s bid for a second term is that he is the best positioned Democrat to beat Trump again. But unless politi
If the president goes on to lose reelection to Trump – or any other Republican – the warning signs contained in the CNN poll, which mirrors his troubles in other recent surveys but goes far deeper on reasons for his malaise, will have foreshadowed the story of his downfall.

The survey, conducted by SSRS and released on Thursday, paints a picture of a pessimistic and divided nation that is far from experiencing the return to normality that had been promised in 2020 by Biden – a president the country finds neither inspiring nor worthy of confidence.

Biden has frequently been underestimated. And a national poll so far ahead of an election that will be won in a handful of tight battleground states can never predict how it will turn out. There’s an added caveat in 2024: Trump’s multiple looming trials could reshape the electoral terrain significantly.

Biden’s deep political challenges​

Yet the findings nevertheless pose dilemmas that Democrats have so far been unwilling to confront. They include the question of whether an 80-year-old president with a 39% approval rating is really the party’s strongest bet for next year’s election. The poll contains sufficient data to suggest that voters doubt Biden, who has been on the Washington stage for a half century, has the energy to turn his political standing around – as did Democrats like Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama after embarking on what looked like treacherous reelection races.

The poll also poses the implicit question of whether Biden will end up like Jimmy Carter, who tumbled out of office after a single term and is the only commander in chief who had a worse approval rating in the third August of his administration than Biden. Much is written about Trump’s control of the GOP. But Biden’s grip on his own party – manifested by the unwillingness of any significant party figures to risk their own futures by challenging him – remains unshaken.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...election-disapproval-age-concerns-sot-vpx.cnn
The CNN poll and other snapshots of public opinion will come as a gut punch for a White House that has had an industrious term by comparison with recent administrations. Biden passed the kind of sweeping bipartisan infrastructure law that had eluded many predecessors. He took office amid the worst public health crisis in 100 years, which had been botched by Trump, and helped nurture an economic recovery. With the republic reeling after the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, he sought to stabilize the country’s democracy. Biden has sought to unleash an industrial reawakening, has lifted millions of kids out of poverty and is seeking to broaden access to health care and some key prescription drugs. And he has revived the Western alliance in mustering support for Ukraine after Russia’s invasion in the most striking display of transatlantic leadership since President George H.W. Bush at the end of the Cold War.

Yet he’s not getting credit for much of it, despite efforts to parlay historic jobs data and a dip in inflation as a great success.

The poll leaves an indelible impression that Biden’s age – and a sense that he is far less robust in mind and body since he took office – are overshadowing his achievements. Only 26% say he has the stamina and sharpness to serve effectively as commander in chief. And 76% of Americans say they are seriously concerned his age could affect his ability to serve out a full term if reelected.

The data in the poll also helps explain why there is so little incentive for Republicans who trail Trump by massive margins to get out of the primary. Anything that forces the front-runner from the race would leave most of them locked in a tight margin-of-error duel with the incumbent. Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, who makes barely a ripple with GOP voters, is best placed to consign Biden to the ignominious one-term presidency club – in part because of her stronger support among White college-educated voters than other Republicans. That Haley leads Biden 49% to 43% in a hypothetical matchup but is stuck in the single digits in primary polls underscores how the GOP is still more beholden to its base than the general electorate.

But by definition in a 50-50 nation, a president facing majority disapproval across a slate of issues must be alienating independents. Those voters break for Biden over Trump, but the president gets poor marks from the cohort. Such vulnerability might encourage anyone mulling a third-party bid for the presidency – like strategists with No Labels, who held an event featuring West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin over the summer. The group says it will only field a candidate if there’s a chance of victory. But analysts warn that a third-party candidate could doom a weakened Biden and help Trump win a non-consecutive second term if he is the Republican nominee.

The CNN poll conducted between August 25-31 has few silver linings for Biden, even if 44% of voters feel that any Democratic candidate would be a better choice than Trump. Some 58% of those polled say that the president’s policies have made economic conditions worse. Only 33% describe him as someone they are proud to have as president. And the discontent runs deep even among his own party – with 67% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters saying the party should nominate someone else, though that number represents a tick down from the 75% who thought so last summer. Still, 82% of those who’d prefer another candidate don’t have any specific alternative in mind. This may reflect the apparent paucity of the Democratic bench, the low profile of new generation party leaders, or on the performance of Harris.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/poll-hunter-biden/index.html
On a day when it emerged that a special counsel intends to indict Biden’s son, Hunter, relating to gun charges, the poll also hints at the damage Republican efforts to link the president to his son’s business activities may he having. Their tactics may be designed to distract from Trump’s far greater legal exposure. But 61% of those polled think Joe Biden was involved in those dealings while he was vice president, although only 42% think he acted illegally. (Republicans have offered no concrete proof of wrongdoing by the president.)

Can Biden turn it around?​

The best case for Biden’s reelection is that he’s running against Trump, whom he beat in 2020 and who may have to spend more time in court next year in his quartet of criminal trials than on the campaign trail.

But the fact that there’s no clear leader in the hypothetical matchup between them must especially concern Democrats since generally, the party’s nominee requires a slightly higher margin in the popular vote than the Republican to win the presidency due to the vagaries of the Electoral College. Even if Democrats discount the findings of a single poll, plenty of other surveys and anecdotal data suggests the liberal conventional wisdom that Americans could never elect Trump again is misplaced.

Of course, Trump’s clear liabilities with millions of voters could become even more pronounced when he actually goes on trial, and potentially if he is convicted in one of the cases in which he has pleaded not guilty. Even the possible return of the ex-president to full national prominence in the 2024 campaign might remind many voters – especially moderates in swing states – of the volcanic character traits, lies and autocratic impulses that convinced them to kick him out of office three years ago.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...4-presidential-run-ron-brownstein-vpx-tsr.cnn
Democrats might also look back with hope at last year’s midterm elections, when Biden’s strategy of running against Trump when he was not directly on the ballot was far more successful than pundits expected and quelled a Republican red wave. And the idea of a democracy on the brink might be a far more tangible motivator for voters if Trump is on the verge of regaining power. In fact, Biden’s best shot may lie in his capacity to make the election a referendum on the trauma and disruption that a second Trump term might bring.

Yet, while Trump has shattered every ritual in politics, one convention might hold firm. Reelection races typically unfold as a referendum on the previous four years under the incumbent. Biden will not just be judged by comparison to Trump – as he was four years ago with the country staggering through a pandemic. His own record will be on the ballot this time. Unless he can raise that 39% approval rating by 10 points, he will be in trouble. If there’s a GOP upset and some other candidate besides Trump wins the nomination, Biden could be even more exposed.

And it is a daunting truth that some of Biden’s biggest liabilities seem hard to fix.

The one thing he cannot change is his age – which will likely be an even greater factor next year, when he will turn 82 weeks after the election. Aging is a painful subject for everyone, let alone a person who is in the public spotlight. (Trump, who will be 78 when voters cast ballots next November, has endured less scrutiny on this front.) The health and mental acuity of the president is going to play a more prominent role in this election than any previous one in US history. Biden has been certified fit for office by his physicians, but there are doubts over whether he will be able to maintain the kind of rigorous campaign trial schedule that is often adopted by incumbent presidents running for reelection. Any failure to do so, or even a minor health blip, will be used as proof of infirmity by opponents who already ruthlessly pounce on any misstatement, stumble or senior moment to argue Biden’s too old.

Then there’s another liability: the economy.

In a polarized age, the idea that every presidential election turns on the economy might not be as reliable as it once was. But Biden’s weak spots as revealed in the poll may be as difficult to repair as questions about his age and mental fitness. By most measures, the economy is doing well. Unemployment is near historic lows. Inflation, which was raging a year ago at some of the highest levels since the 1980s, has stabilized. And life is far closer to normal than it has been since the Covid-19 emergency. Americans are traveling again in vast numbers again, for instance.

Yet Biden is not benefiting from the kind of “Morning in America” moment that helped return President Ronald Reagan in 1984. Some 70% of those polled think things in the country are going badly. Only 49% of Democrats think things are going well. Biden retains control of the key Democratic coalitions but the question is how motivated his base will be to show up.

While the White House can point to indicators that show an improved economy, life is still tough for many Americans. High interest rates introduced by the Federal Reserve to fight inflation have made it hard for many to buy a house, move or purchase a new vehicle. Small businesses that rely on borrowing are seeing profit margins squeezed. Food prices still seem high and gasoline prices are going up again.

Despite the extraordinary liabilities Trump would carry into any general election as the GOP nominee, Biden has plenty of his own – one reason why the 2024 election is likely to be just as close as their previous clash.

I'm no fan of Biden, but I honestly don't think he's been that bad.

But to elect a twice impeached, 4 time indicted wanna-be dictator is beyond the pale. It can't be allowed to happen.
This is the sensible take from a non cultist person using facts. Thanks

I have spoken a lot about the narcissism of Trump. But let’s be real, how arrogant and narcissistic does one have to be at Biden’s age to truly believe you are the left’s best choice for president? No one should be President at 80+ years old - full stop. To think you have what it takes to govern at that age is foolish.

Biden has an opportunity to gracefully bow out. There is still plenty of time for a broad primary slate to find an effective candidate. Unfortunately I don’t think his ego or his enablers will allow this to happen. I hope I’m wrong.

While at first glance this seems remarkable, it's really not. When one considers that probably 45% of the country are probably hard core to each side, it doesn't take much to get to 50% unpopularity any more. I would imagine that if you ran the same basic poll vis Trump, you'd probably get a nearly identical result.

It would be kinda cool if both parties engineered some sort of back room shenanigans where neither Trump nor Biden would run, and we could just start over.

That said, I do think younger/far(ther) left D's are mistaken to not want Biden as their candidate. If history has shown one thing, it's that in second Presidential terms, the inmates tend to run the asylum, and I'd imagine that will be even more the case when the chief inmate is one step away from taxidermy.

Last edited:
I have spoken a lot about the narcissism of Trump. But let’s be real, how arrogant and narcissistic does one have to be at Biden’s age to truly believe you are the left’s best choice for president? No one should be President at 80+ years old - full stop. To think you have what it takes to govern at that age is foolish.

Biden has an opportunity to gracefully bow out. There is still plenty of time for a broad primary slate to find an effective candidate. Unfortunately I don’t think his ego or his enablers will allow this to happen. I hope I’m wrong.
You are wrong and you need to be ready to do the right thing and vote for the incumbent over the tyrant.

Agree.

But Trump will be 78 on election day. It doesn't seem to matter as much to voters.

He would be 86 at the end of his term!

You are wrong and you need to be ready to do the right thing and vote for the incumbent over the tyrant.
Stop lecturing and start listening to what the American people are saying.

I am not wrong and I don’t need to do anything but vote for the candidate that I think best represents America’s interests. As it happens if it does come down to Biden vs Trump I will vote for Biden as I recognize what a threat Trump is…but I would do so with great reservation.

Maybe you could pull your head out of your ass and realize Biden is NOT the best choice for us moving forward and we would be far better served if the Dems had a bakeoff between folks like Whitmer, Polis, Buttigieg, Manchin and Newsome. I would love to see a general election with any of them vs. Haley.

Biden's kicking ass and getting crap done in Washington and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. He's earned another 4 years. I certainly trust Biden to stay sane and healthy over the next 4 years more than I do Trump.

I am not wrong and I don’t need to do anything but vote for the candidate that I think best represents America’s interests. As it happens if it does come down to Biden vs Trump I will vote for Biden as I recognize what a threat Trump is…but I would do so with great reservation.

Maybe you could pull your head out of your ass and realize Biden is NOT the best choice for us moving forward and we would be far better served if the Dems had a bakeoff between folks like Whitmer, Polis, Buttigieg, Manchin and Newsome. I would love to see a general election with any of them vs. Haley.
I don't disagree with your points but he's the best candidate in the Trump era of the GOP. He has done a good job and accomplished more in decades than any of his predecessors. We need to flip the House and elect 51 Democrats who will carve out the filibuster in the Senate for things like Roe and Voting rights and he'll end up being a very good President in the eyes of history, not biased media or clueless citizens currently

Elaborate? Why specifically is Joe not the best choice? How exactly has he failed the country these last 4 years.

He was my 19th choice from the last primaries but he has accomplished a helluva lot of positive for this nation. I listen to Americans all the time and I truly don't understand what he has done for 60% of the country to think he sucks. I know some of it is the constant attacks on everything he does from the right, who refuse to give him credit for anything. But they don't make up 60%. So I don't know what everyone else outside of the Republican party are seeing. AGE seems to be the one thing that gets brought up...that and Kamala, which I find is laughable that she would destroy the country.

That's what the Republicans are attempting to do, by creating an authoritarian government.

Last edited:
Biden's kicking ass and getting crap done in Washington and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. He's earned another 4 years. I certainly trust Biden to stay sane and healthy over the next 4 years more than I do Trump.
Of course he is better than Trump and I do think his administration has governed somewhat effectively. But he is not better than at least 10 other Dems I can think of off the top of my head and I think he has really started to slip. That will accelerate as he gets even older. Do we really want a doddering old fool as President?

Any other middle of the road dem will trounce Trump in the general election. I am not convinced Biden wins because a Trump vs. Biden general election may keep independents like me away from the voting booth next year.

That’s why I find the whole thing arrogant.

Elaborate? Why specifically is Joe not the best choice? How exactly has he failed the country these last 4 years.

He was my 19th choice from the last primaries but he has accomplished a helluva lot of positive for this nation. I listen to Americans all the time and I truly don't understand what he has done for 60% of the country to think he sucks. I know some of it is the constant attacks on everything he does from the right, who refuse to give him credit for everything. But they don't make up 60%. So I don't know what everyone else outside of the Republican party are seeing. AGE seems to be the one thing that gets brought up...that and Kamala, which I find is laughable that she would destroy the country.

That's what the Republicans are attempting to do, by creating an authoritarian government.
This poll is laughable and not going to end up being accurate. I'm confident in the Dems, Independents and real Republicans to do the right thing in 14 months.

I don't disagree with your points but he's the best candidate in the Trump era of the GOP. He has done a good job and accomplished more in decades than any of his predecessors. We need to flip the House and elect 51 Democrats who will carve out the filibuster in the Senate for things like Roe and Voting rights and he'll end up being a very good President in the eyes of history, not biased media or clueless citizens currently
If Trump wins in 2024, history will show Biden was the last great president, because we're going to look more like Hungary than the USA, freedom wise.

How many major nominees have risen to the level of "best for the job", maybe 3 all time?

This poll is laughable and not going to end up being accurate. I'm confident in the Dems, Independents and real Republicans to do the right thing in 14 months.
I know the right HATES MSNBC, but there are dozens of Republicans - real ones - on there contributing and hosting and every single one of them is voting for Biden. When the guy who was head of the RNC is voting Democrat that ought to tell Republican voters how screwed up their party has become. But they don't care.

For Biden to have any chance of turning things around he'd actually need to shoe up for work. Guy has spent almost half of his presidency on vacation.. remind me how upset the lefties were about trump golfing again? Such fake/manufactured outrage.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777

He was my 19th choice from the last primaries but he has accomplished a helluva lot of positive for this nation. I listen to Americans all the time and I truly don't understand what he has done for 60% of the country to think he sucks. I know some of it is the constant attacks on everything he does from the right, who refuse to give him credit for everything. But they don't make up 60%. So I don't know what everyone else outside of the Republican party are seeing. AGE seems to be the one thing that gets brought up...that and Kamala, which I find is laughable that she would destroy the country.

He is not the best choice because:
  1. I believe he is in cognitive decline and the next 4 years will make that worse.
  2. I think he is about the least electable moderate democrat vs. Trump...I think having Biden in the general election keeps the right leaning soccer moms and fiscal conservatives at home - regardless of the abortion topic. The polls are clear on his lack of support. And we need someone that can crush the MAGA movement by winning over the never Trumper set.
  3. I don’t believe Biden has what it takes to tackle some of the modern topics we are likely to see in the next presidency (AI, cybersecurity, climate change, etc)
There is such a thing as just being too old. And Biden is.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
He needs to ditch the anchor and get a better VP, no excuses there. The right can’t stand her, and most of the left knows that she would sink the party

Reactions: EasyHawk

I 100% agree with this.

He is not the best choice because:
  1. I believe he is in cognitive decline and the next 4 years will make that worse.
  2. I think he is about the least electable moderate democrat vs. Trump...I think having Biden in the general election keeps the right leaning soccer moms and fiscal conservatives at home - regardless of the abortion topic. The polls are clear on his lack of support. And we need someone that can crush the MAGA movement by winning over the never Trumper set.
  3. I don’t believe Biden has what it takes to tackle some of the modern topics we are likely to see in the next presidency (AI, cybersecurity, climate change, etc)
There is such a thing as just being too old. And Biden is.
So, old. That's about what I thought. Sigh.

Turd lost by >7 million votes and certainly hasn't gained favor since 2020 with the 81 million that voted for Biden.

Elections are a choice between two options. Trump vs Biden is an easy pick.

Only the blind can't see this

Reactions: MitchLL
Any other middle of the road dem will trounce Trump in the general election. I am not convinced Biden wins because a Trump vs. Biden general election may keep independents like me away from the voting booth next year.

That’s why I find the whole thing arrogant.
Traveler, you’ve been very reasonable in your comments this morning and I generally agree with much of your sentiment.

However, the bolded part of your comment is what concerns me…and I hear it from many besides you. It seems to abandon logic. If you (others) feel like Trump is unacceptable under any conditions, how can one adopt the position of voting third party or not voting? That action will only increase the likelihood of the outcome you believe is unacceptable.

Isn’t this just a classic lesser of two evils conundrum?

Biden may be losing it, but he put together a staff that has run things well. That is what gives me hope for another four years of Ol' Joe. It's not the revolving door the Trump had when he was in the WH. That and it wouldn't be Trump. The thought of Kamala ever being in charge still scares me though so if he could replace her that would be great.

Biden may be losing it, but he put together a staff that has run things well. That is what gives me hope for another four years of Ol' Joe. It's not the revolving door the Trump had when he was in the WH. That and it wouldn't be Trump. The thought of Kamala ever being in charge still scares me though so if he could replace her that would be great.
And it may or not be fair to Kamala, but replacing her with someone that moderates find more palatable sitting in the Oval Office, should nature run its course with Joe, would go a long ways toward securing a dem victory in Nov 24, IMO.

So, old. That's about what I thought. Sigh.
I know we disagree on this, but I think too many underestimate his age as a liability.

I would also add that traditionally lame duck presidents seem to struggle and drift in a second term. It’s harder to wrangle more substantive legislation and scandals become more pronounced. Add in a declining, aging president and a VP Harris and I think it’s a recipe for disaster in 2028.

All that said, there is no question I’m voting for Biden if he’s the nominee. We cannot have Trump in office again.

I'm no fan of Biden, but I honestly don't think he's been that bad.

But to elect a twice impeached, 4 time indicted wanna-be dictator is beyond the pale. It can't be allowed to happen.
Please allow me to put some perspective on your statement. He was impeached twice by a democrat lead House and never convicted in the Senate and all impeachment managers were democrats. (unlike the non-partisan impeachment of the Republican TX Attorney General who was impeached by a Republican legislature) and Trump has been indicted by all democrat prosecutors and judges, so politics is the only reason any of this has happened.

So please don't try and say "twice impeached and 4 time indicted"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT