ADVERTISEMENT

Biden kept at distance from McConnell on border deal talks

Two weeks ago, Mitch McConnell delivered a private warning to the White House.

Speaking first with chief of staff Jeff Zients and then with President Joe Biden on Dec. 7, the Senate minority leader said there were just five days to cut a deal linking border security with billions for Ukraine. Otherwise, he warned it would have to wait until next year, according to a person familiar with the conversations.

Read the rest here….

Why should the minority party wield the power?

Their votes are not needed in the Senate. McConnell has proven to be a quality leader whether he's in the majority or not.
Any bill that doesn’t pass muster with Senate R’s sure as F ain’t making it through the House.

….and this appropriation requires 60 votes.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Why? I thought this was one of the types that didn't need that.
They used them up and will need it for the next CR.

I think they get 2 every fiscal year.

Maybe they could use one now since it’s a new year but it’d be a waste of time as it needs to get through the R controlled house.

The senate bill will have to have R’s on board regardless

They used them up and will need it for the next CR.

I think they get 2 every fiscal year.

Maybe they could use one now since it’s a new year but it’d be a waste of time as it needs to get through the R controlled house.

The senate bill will have to have R’s on board regardless
Waiting for the new Congress makes sense, then. But as you suggest, is this the legislation they want to "spend" one of their freebies on?

Can anyone list the specific changes the Rs want? I'm guessing there are poison pills in there, but do they have any good ideas that the WH could agree to?

Waiting for the new Congress makes sense, then. But as you suggest, is this the legislation they want to "spend" one of their freebies on?

Can anyone list the specific changes the Rs want? I'm guessing there are poison pills in there, but do they have any good ideas that the WH could agree to?
Not aware of any “poison pills”.

At least not any that would be enough to stop the aid bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT