ADVERTISEMENT

Biden kept at distance from McConnell on border deal talks

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Joe needs to get involved...

President Biden has kept a distance from Senate negotiations on a border deal critical to securing congressional aid to Ukraine, even as GOP lawmakers repeatedly called for him to enter the talks.

The handling of the talks is now raising eyebrows in Washington, particularly among Republicans who suspect the White House did not want Biden to agree to a deal.

Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have a long history of cutting major deals on seemingly intractable policy problems.

They worked together to reach deals to temporarily extend the Bush tax cuts after the 2010 midterm election, to raise the debt limit and avoid a national default in the summer of 2011 and to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of 2012. During that time, McConnell was the Senate minority leader, as he is now, and Biden was vice president.

But the two didn’t sit down for talks on the supplemental package that has been the biggest legislative issue of the month. The package was to include border security funds, aid to Ukraine and Israel and money for other priorities, such as Taiwan.

Republicans argue the White House slow-walked the talks, noting it didn’t send Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas and White House staff to negotiate with Republican senators in earnest until Dec. 13, by which time it was — for all practical purposes — too late to pass military aid for Ukraine and Israel before the end of the year.

McConnell on Monday alluded to Mayorkas “showing up late to the table” and pledged that Senate Republicans would not be pressured to sign off on a deal just because the end of the year is a few days away.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a leading Senate GOP expert on immigration and member of McConnell’s leadership team, on Thursday said negotiating with Mayorkas is a “waste of time.”

“Any ‘border deal’ will not be with Mayorkas, who has lost the confidence of Congress by repeated dishonesty: that the ‘border is secure.’ Only POTUS can commit to any ‘border deal.’ Anything else is a waste of time,” Cornyn posted on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, referring to President Biden.

Senators in both parties have called for Biden and McConnell to engage with each other directly in the negotiations.

The border talks are a sensitive issue for a White House that is under pressure to show action at the border, but does not want to anger progressive Democrats demanding a cease-fire in Gaza who also fear a return of Trump-era asylum and deportation policies.

And some Democratic senators are worried that if Biden got into a room with McConnell or other Senate GOP negotiators, he might end up cutting a deal on border and asylum policy that will enrage their party’s base.

“A totally legitimate concern is if you’re not reasonably close [to a deal], there’s no reason to put him in a room … He could be dragged anywhere,” said one Democratic senator who requested anonymity to talk about the leeriness fellow Democrats feel about making Biden the point person in the talks.

Biden has come under heavy pressure from immigration advocates within his own party who warn there will be a backlash if he agrees to the asylum reforms included in the House-passed Secure the Border Act.

WTF?

And some Democratic senators are worried that if Biden got into a room with McConnell or other Senate GOP negotiators, he might end up cutting a deal on border and asylum policy that will enrage their party’s base.

“A totally legitimate concern is if you’re not reasonably close [to a deal], there’s no reason to put him in a room … He could be dragged anywhere,” said one Democratic senator who requested anonymity to talk about the leeriness fellow Democrats feel about making Biden the point person in the talks.

Biden has come under heavy pressure from immigration advocates within his own party who warn there will be a backlash if he agrees to the asylum reforms included in the House-passed Secure the Border Act.

Senate Republicans notified the White House as early as Oct. 8 that border policy reforms would need to be attached to $61 billion in funding for Ukraine if Biden’s emergency foreign aid package would have any chance of passing Congress.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) raised the need for border security with administration officials during a bipartisan briefing on Oct. 8, and GOP staff raised the topic of border policy changes with the White House budget office two days later.

McConnell delivered the message directly to Secretary of State Antony Blinken during an in-person meeting on Oct. 19, according to a person familiar with the timeline of the talks.

And McConnell reiterated that message in a phone call with White House chief of staff Jeff Zients on Nov. 3, according to the same source. McConnell tried to call Biden that same day but couldn’t reach the president, who was traveling.

The Senate GOP leader finally got a chance to speak to Biden directly on Monday, Nov. 6, and warned him that funding for Ukraine wouldn’t pass Congress unless the president and Democrats agreed to border policy reforms to reduce the flow of migrants across the southern border.

“President Biden and [Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen] called me yesterday,” McConnell told reporters the next day, Nov. 7. “I did make it clear to both of them that we have to have a credible solution to the wide-open border in order to get a bill that includes all of the things I think are important across the Senate floor.”

Political difficulties swirling around the supplemental package are not limited to the border.

Some progressives, including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), are opposed to providing more than $10 billion in military aid to Israel, which they say will allow the Israel Defense Forces to continue its bombardment of civilians in Gaza. Biden requested a total of $14.3 billion for Israel.

A New York Times/Siena College poll conducted this month found that 72 percent of voters ages 18 to 29, who tend to vote overwhelmingly Democratic, disapprove of Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas conflict.

A Senate Republican aide speculated that Biden has avoided negotiating tougher border security policies with Republicans because he’s already at odds with the Democratic base over the war in Israel and doesn’t want to pour fuel on the fire.

McConnell acknowledged his long track record of cutting deals with Biden on tough issues but said the White House was reluctant to engage directly in the border security negotiations for much of October and November.

Joe Biden and I did do some pretty big [deals]: the fiscal cliff deal, the debt-ceiling deal. What I have said to him is, ‘The only way we’ll get an agreement is for you to be involved. Don’t just punt the ball up to Senate Democrats. They may never get there,’” he told reporters last week.

“So it’s been difficult to get the kind of support [needed] out of the administration itself,” McConnell lamented.

Reactions: h-hawk
He probably should become involved if the senate dems can't negotiate with McConnell for some reason.

The thing about the border issue is that I feel like it's a no win issue for Biden. He could agree to whatever the hell the Republicans ask for and the Republicans will walk away from that deal, got on fox news and scream that Biden has left the borders open and completely unprotected.

Seriously Biden could agree to a deal that funds the border patrol to have 5 million new agents all authorized to shoot illegals on sight AND build a 500 foot tall border wall the entire length of the border and the day after he signed that bill fox news would still be screaming about open borders.

He probably should become involved if the senate dems can't negotiate with McConnell for some reason.

The thing about the border issue is that I feel like it's a no win issue for Biden.
Totally disagree.

Like the infrastructure bill...he needs to get involved.

Cutting deals in the senate...and the bipartisan bills as president has been a trademark.

Actually a border/ukraine deal is win/win for Joe.

Get Ukraine aid--win

Border deal that R's would sign off on...takes the border off the table as a issue in 2024. The border is one of things Joe polls weakest on--win.

A new poll from Monmouth University shows Biden’s job performance approval rating is at 34% – his lowest rating by the polling agency since he took office. Americans say they are peeved with Biden’s handling of a range of issues they care about.

Deal needs to get cut and Joe needs to get involved as he'll be the one signing off on it anyway.

Last edited:
We all know how this plays out in the end. Its the same old song and dance.
Bingo, they are not and will never negotiate or want a resolution for it in good faith. Takes away so much of their bullshit they feed to their pathetic base which now includes Hitler talking points.

Reactions: Tom Paris

The thing about the border issue is that I feel like it's a no win issue for Biden. He could agree to whatever the hell the Republicans ask for and the Republicans will walk away from that deal, got on fox news and scream that Biden has left the borders open and completely unprotected.

Seriously Biden could agree to a deal that funds the border patrol to have 5 million new agents all authorized to shoot illegals on sight AND build a 500 foot tall border wall the entire length of the border and the day after he signed that bill fox news would still be screaming about open borders.
Or they will get what they want, then proceed to bitch and gaslight that they didnt get what they want sooner

Totally disagree.

Like the infrastructure bill...he needs to get involved.

Cutting deals in the senate...and the bipartisan bills as president has been a trademark.

Actually a border/ukraine deal is win/win for Joe.

Get Ukraine aid--win

Border deal that R's would sign off on...takes the border off the table as a issue in 2024. The border is one of things Joe polls weakest on--win.

A new poll from Monmouth University shows Biden’s job performance approval rating is at 34% – his lowest rating by the polling agency since he took office. Americans say they are peeved with Biden’s handling of a range of issues they care about.

Deal needs to get cut and Joe needs to get involved as he'll be the one signing off on it anyway.
Bins...do you honestly believe there is a “immigration/border agreement” that can be negotiated in the Senate that will pass muster in the House? I don’t think so. In fact I am jaded enough to honestly believe that there’s are enough REPUBLICANS in Congress who do not want any type of agreement to be negotiated and signed into law. This is the “new and improved” abortion debate fit them.
What kind of demands would have to be met to get Congress to pass anything?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Does Joe even know what's going on these days?

I dont think it's a stretch to conclude that progressive ideologues within the administration are running the show.

Reactions: Scruddy
McConnell is the one that will cut the deal with Joe. They've done it multiple times in the past.

Joe needs to get involved.
Border panic is the primary issue for the Republicans right now. They aren't that interested in doing anything. The democrats don't have a coherent strategy either.
To me the most interesting thing is the libertarian arm of the be Republicans. They are in favor of immigrants being allowed in to address labor shortages. Basically are arguing that we need to change policies to allow more legal working opportunities. I think you could find democrats that would be on board with that.

Bins...do you honestly believe there is a “immigration/border agreement” that can be negotiated in the Senate that will pass muster in the House? I don’t think so.
Yes. Johnson will bring it to a vote. 90 or so R's and 40 or so D's vote against (Israel provisions) and the bill goes through.

Won't know for sure until the Senate/Joe cut a deal.

I think Biden not getting involved is a fairly clear indicator of what he thinks of R’s linking Ukraine and Israel funding to the southern border. On that level, I don’t have a problem with it - the R’s are acting like children, again, through their brand of politics
I guess Ukraine aid isn't urgent then.

It's been known since Oct 8th that the border provisions would be part of any senate deal.

I guess it’s not, the R’s made the stipulation and dug their heels in. Biden might as well link abortion to southern border legislation while the R’s are at it
The reality is a deal has to be cut to get it through.

That's been known for 2 and half months....

Joe needs to get involved.

CNN interviewed a Democrat Congresswoman last night and she announced she is done with Biden due to his failure with the border. She no longer supports Joe. Seems like he is losing a lot of support from within the party.

CNN interviewed a Democrat Congresswoman last night and she announced she is done with Biden due to his failure with the border. She no longer supports Joe. Seems like he is losing a lot of support from within the party.
Why does she no longer support Biden? Why doesn’t she get off her butt bad go to work on negotiating an immigration bill that has a chance to pass House and Senate? This is not “Biden’s problem” to solve....it is Congress’ to figure out...Congress needs to figure out a way to do its job!
Dems and Repubbers need to figure it out! Biden EO’s are no better than Trump EO’s..Congress needs to do the job they are elected to do.

Does anyone have any confidence Biden could coherently "be involved?"

If he were allowed to speak his mind and were lucid he'd agree to almost everything Rs want. He's only liberal because that's who tells him what to say.

Unfortunately that's all more correct than not.

Yes. Joes good at cutting deals.

McConnel isn't exactly on top of his game either. Joe and Mitch have cut deals in the past and will again....need them to get together right after the break. Should have been done weeks ago...

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I think Biden not getting involved is a fairly clear indicator of what he thinks of R’s linking Ukraine and Israel funding to the southern border. On that level, I don’t have a problem with it - the R’s are acting like children, again, through their brand of politics

Ukraine is getting short on troops. When are you heading over to help out?

If he were allowed to speak his mind and were lucid he'd agree to almost everything Rs want. He's only liberal because that's who tells him what to say.

They realize that. It’s featured in the piece:

The Democrats “totally legitimate concern” is a compromise.
At least the Democrats aren’t concerned about his feeble mindedness. Just keep him away from people.

They realize that. It’s featured in the piece:

The Democrats “totally legitimate concern” is a compromise.
At least the Democrats aren’t concerned about his feeble mindedness. Just keep him away from people.
According to that unsourced article. Given past history, it seems far more likely the Republicans just aren't willing to compromise at all than it is Democrats. More evidence is needed.

Yes. Joes good at cutting deals.

McConnel isn't exactly on top of his game either. Joe and Mitch have cut deals in the past and will again....need them to get together right after the break. Should have been done weeks ago...
I can see why Rs would want him in the room, I don't see why Dems would. They've got every talking point they need now and don't trust Joe to tie his own shoes.

I can see why Rs would want him in the room, I don't see why Dems would. They've got every talking point they need now and don't trust Joe to tie his own shoes.
They don't have every talking foint on this issue. R's don't take a political hitting standing firm on adding border provisions.

That's why they aren't caving like they did on the debt ceiling and the CR's. A deal is going to have to be cut one way or another.

Two weeks ago, Mitch McConnell delivered a private warning to the White House.

Speaking first with chief of staff Jeff Zients and then with President Joe Biden on Dec. 7, the Senate minority leader said there were just five days to cut a deal linking border security with billions for Ukraine. Otherwise, he warned it would have to wait until next year, according to a person familiar with the conversations.

Read the rest here….

Maybe open your mind just a little before you make absurd statements like this.

Bins...do you honestly believe there is a “immigration/border agreement” that can be negotiated in the Senate that will pass muster in the House? I don’t think so. In fact I am jaded enough to honestly believe that there’s are enough REPUBLICANS in Congress who do not want any type of agreement to be negotiated and signed into law. This is the “new and improved” abortion debate fit them.
What kind of demands would have to be met to get Congress to pass anything?
It’s like Obamacare. Republicans kept asking for more. Obama finally had enough, asked Grassley if he gave them everything on their list of demands for it, would they vote yes. Grassley looked down and said, “No, Mr. President.”

They have zero plans to fix anything. Not infrastructure. Not healthcare. They want the wealthy to gain wealth and a powerful military to protect that wealth.

Does Joe even know what's going on these days?

I dont think it's a stretch to conclude that progressive ideologues within the administration are running the show.
At least he doesn’t need foot pads to keep from tipping his fat ass over like your cult leader.

Yes. 100. Only Republican bullshitters say this. Everything reported is he is on top of things. Oh that’s right…the media is our enemy. Fascist playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT