ADVERTISEMENT

Biden officials weigh giving Ukraine weapons without replacing U.S. stocks right away or waiting for Congress funds

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Johnson needs to grow a pair and bring it to a vote....

After months of protecting stockpiles in the name of readiness, Pentagon officials are now warming to accepting some risk to U.S. readiness to keep Ukraine in the fight.

Biden administration officials met Tuesday at the Pentagon to discuss ways to fill some of Ukraine’s urgent needs for artillery and ammunition quickly, including possibly drawing down U.S. stockpiles without replenishing them immediately or without waiting for more money from Congress, say two senior administration officials and a congressional official.

In the meeting, officials discussed various ways the Pentagon could resupply critical artillery and ammunition that Ukraine is expected to run out of soon, even while the White House’s request for new funding from Congress remains stalled, the officials said. No decisions have been made, according to the officials.

The discussions reflect growing alarm in the administration that Ukraine is poised to run out of key weaponry in the next few weeks, including 155 mm artillery rounds and air defense munitions.

Not all administration officials support the idea of sending a tranche of aid to Ukraine as a stopgap move, however. Some administration and congressional officials are concerned that such a move could imperil White House negotiations with Congress, particularly House Republican leaders, to get roughly $60 billion in new Ukraine aid through the chamber. Other officials are wary of the idea because it could put the U.S. military’s stockpiles below levels that are considered necessary for sufficient readiness.

But after months of fiercely protecting stockpiles in the name of military readiness, Pentagon officials are now warming to the idea of accepting some risk to U.S. readiness in order to keep Ukraine in the fight.

A spokesperson for the White House National Security Council said, "We are focused on urging the House of Representatives to pass the national security supplemental package as soon as possible. Ukraine needs the full resources in that package and Speaker Johnson should put it to a vote, where it would overwhelmingly pass, since there is no other way to fully meet Ukraine's needs."

In a statement, a Pentagon spokesperson said, “The DoD continues to urge Congress to pass a supplemental to support Ukraine in its time of need and to replenish our stocks.”

I've posted this before but the US has something like 4 1/2 million artillery shells that are considered old and which could be shipped to Ukraine now. Why aren't we doing this!? (President can declare them surplus or something like that, and some other country has to pay for their shipment.)

There is precedent for Biden doing this. Teddy Roosevelt did something similar with the Great White Fleet, “I had enough money to send them halfway around the world, let congress bring them back “.

If the House won’t pass funding to supply Ukraine, make them fund replacement of weapons for our own military.

Why didn't sleepy just give Ukraine those billions of dollars in weapons he gave to the terrorists in the middle east?

Probably not a bad strategy to get Congress off its ass and to act.

It’s not like this would impact the US military being exponentially more capable than any other military on the planet.
Or hear me out, we could just keep our weapons and not give them to al queda/zalensky types. A bold strategy I know.

Probably not a bad strategy to get Congress off its ass and to act.

It’s not like this would impact the US military being exponentially more capable than any other military on the planet.

The extent to which you and your side are willing to go for a political victory...

Placing America's military readiness in jeopardy. A new low for the left.

The extent to which you and your side are willing to go for a political victory...

When did the left become such fiends for war? I agree, the behavior is ridiculous, but this is the same group of people that openly want to jail and silence their political opposition while somehow claiming they're the good guys. No low is too low for a modern day leftist.

It’s not a political victory. It’s a practical solution to a problem created by pro-Russian, anti-American Republicans in the US House of Representatives.

It’s not a political victory. It’s a practical solution to a problem created by pro-Russian, anti-American Republicans in the US House of Representatives.
Those dang MaGA republicans, only wanting to give Ukraine 75 billion dollars of tax payer money!! What kind of world are we living in where we don't give them at least 200 billion dollars while zalensky murders us journalists and launders most of the money. Definitely a legitimate take, torbee. You should absolutely be proud of yourself for this one, big guy.

Not sure shorting our military for political gains is legal.
Also, transferring billions in American property to a foreign government isn’t within the power of the president.
There’s an element of risk involved with every decision. Losers tend to let that paralyze their decision making.

Risk management and critical thinking isn’t forte for most voters though.

Providing direct military arms might be preferable to the slush fund being proposed, with all sorts of non-military monetary aid tucked under the covers. The US military budget is bloated anyway.

As far as Johnson needing to show some balls and allowing the floor vote, he's simply doing what Pelosi did, and not bowing to political pressure from the Senate and White House. I'm not fond of him wearing religion on his sleeve, but I think he's actually showing he has real stones.

I've posted this before but the US has something like 4 1/2 million artillery shells that are considered old and which could be shipped to Ukraine now. Why aren't we doing this!? (President can declare them surplus or something like that, and some other country has to pay for their shipment.)
because once they are expired you give them to the local food bank

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD
or sell them for hookers and blow?

Conceal Flappy Bird GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
I would say that al quada is less corrupt but more overtly evil than Ukraine. Then again Ukraine is forcing men with downs syndrome to fight in the trenches so maybe not on the last point. Kinda hard to say tbh
uke er aine = russia, birds of a feather

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD
Infuriating but looking like he is putting others in front of American interest. You can't deny it at this point can you?
Russia is one of our biggest adversaries and he is degrading their military without losing any American soldiers lives.

If you could think strategically and not through your blind partisan hatred myopia you’d get it.

Russia is one of our biggest adversaries and he is degrading their military without losing any American soldiers lives.

If you could think strategically and not through your blind partisan hatred myopia you’d get it.
Why do you think weakening the Russian military is a priority for the US to the point that we need to send them 100 plus billion dollars? We're weakening ourselves and racking up even more debt at the same time lol

Reactions: kzoohawk80
12 million illegals say hi. If you're actually claiming that Ukraine on the other half of the world is a higher priority than millions of unvetted illegals invading our country then I think you're having a pot/kettle moment with your insult.
Like I said, “to an idiot perhaps.”

Reactions: torbee

I get that we have spent money on Ukraine at a clip of about 100:1 compared to our own boarder while we are actively allowing the degradation our own country. Complaining about the color of the drapes while your house is on fire.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT