ADVERTISEMENT

Big Cass has some big matches next 2 weeks

Before he got hurt, Cassar majored Mason Paris. I think Mason will be a good test for Big Cass, Cass has a better skill set, while Mason is probably a bit stronger and possibly more athletic. It’ll be good for Anthony going forward if he has to dig deep and pull one out in the 3rd vs Mason, Gable is likely too much for him though.
Cassar majored Parris last year, not seeing how that means much of anything for a Cassioppi vs Parris match this year. Heino majored Cass last year, it happens. Basically Mason needed to redshirt last year, but Bormet wrestled him anyway because Michigan had a crater of a hole at heavyweight other than him. For as good as he was last year he was extremely raw technique, experience, and size wise for even a normal true frosh due to him playing 3 sports and not really wrestling in the summer/offseason. He just didn’t have the strength and know how to wrestle the big heavyweights who were tough on top last year, as evidenced by Parris going 0-3 vs Conan Jennings last year. Very excited to see the match especially after Steveson didn’t wrestle in his match vs Michigan.

Reactions: slushhead
Before he got hurt, Cassar majored Mason Paris. I think Mason will be a good test for Big Cass, Cass has a better skill set, while Mason is probably a bit stronger and possibly more athletic. It’ll be good for Anthony going forward if he has to dig deep and pull one out in the 3rd vs Mason, Gable is likely too much for him though.

Brother: I won't believe Mason is stronger than Cass until somebody shows me evidence. Like many of you, I've seen guys who look more athletic and have better defined muscle than some big men, but aren't nearly as strong. Having never seen either of them in the weight room, I'd bet on Cass any day when it comes to power. I'm betting Cass wins in two of three power lift events, if not all three. IMHO. :)

We'll soon see. GS looks so laid back in that match...but this is a much different Cass. Hoping for a great battle.

For sure! They are both on a different level Compared to 2 years ago. This will be one of the few good matches in the Iowa/Minnesota dual. The remainder will be hawk dominated.

For sure! They are both on a different level Compared to 2 years ago. This will be one of the few good matches in the Iowa/Minnesota dual. The remainder will be hawk dominated.

I'm really hoping Cass/GS matches become like Joseph/Marinelli battles. Would love seeing fricking wars from the giants!

Reactions: pml_dad
I just hope the Cass man can defend that ankle pick.

That actually makes me quite optimistic, I hadn't seen this video prior but only heard about the tech. Cass has made a good jump from last year to this year. In his words "I'd pin myself from last year if we wrestled." The fight Cass shows is exactly what I want to see. Like Nashville alluded to Cass ain't backing down, I think no matter what we'll probably see some fireworks. War Cassioppi!!!

Reactions: 86__90
Cass still was a boy in their last match. He has matured quite a lot....GS was already a man and has not changed as much. Cass will surprise a lot of people including GS

Lee-Lugo?
Webster-Assad?
McKee-Murin(?)?

Lee and Lugo will be good because they both like to keep matched pretty close, but if Lugo can ride, Lee will struggle.

I think Assad handles Webster.

if Murin wrestles....he has been able to stay close with McKee, but I think McKee wins.

like I said, there will be a few good matches, the rest will be dominated by a Iowa if all the starters go.

Reactions: pml_dad
GS is on a different level than last year. He is much improved. I don't expect a win from Cass but I hope I'm WRONG.

Brother: I won't believe Mason is stronger than Cass until somebody shows me evidence. Like many of you, I've seen guys who look more athletic and have better defined muscle than some big men, but aren't nearly as strong. Having never seen either of them in the weight room, I'd bet on Cass any day when it comes to power. I'm betting Cass wins in two of three power lift events, if not all three. IMHO. :)

All fair points and you may well be right. I’d love for this one to be a bit of a nail biter to help Cass in the long run. Knowing he can dig deep and win the close ones that come down to the wire will pay dividends down the road. Mason is a natural athlete that has a high ceiling, a convincing Cass win absolutely puts him in title consideration. I think most of us were thinking low level AA. Haven’t been this pumped about a big man since Mocco.

All fair points and you may well be right. I’d love for this one to be a bit of a nail biter to help Cass in the long run. Knowing he can dig deep and win the close ones that come down to the wire will pay dividends down the road. Mason is a natural athlete that has a high ceiling, a convincing Cass win absolutely puts him in title consideration. I think most of us were thinking low level AA. Haven’t been this pumped about a big man since Mocco.
I don't think Cass is the holy terror Mocco was from the start, but he's not too far behind IMO. He isn't the favorite this year on paper, or maybe any year, but he's gonna win a lot of matches for the Hawks. Happy we have him fo sho!

We'll soon see. GS looks so laid back in that match...but this is a much different Cass. Hoping for a great battle.
This match was before Cass was “in the room” and working with some great partners. He wrestles with a lot better position now and I’m sure will be coached up on that ankle pick/low single. Can’t wait for that match as ones thing is for sure, smiling Tony won’t be intimidated.

I don't think Cass is the holy terror Mocco was from the start, but he's not too far behind IMO. He isn't the favorite this year on paper, or maybe any year, but he's gonna win a lot of matches for the Hawks. Happy we have him fo sho!

Yeah certainly not comparing his style to Mocco’s but they are both exciting to watch. Honestly Stoll and Bobby T (although both were winners) tended to be my piss breaks, Cass is must see TV, I had to watch that Houdini scramble vs Nevills like 4 times and I still have no idea how he didn’t give up 2. He’s fun and seems like a real likable kid to boot.

So what's the B1G seedings if Cass beats Gable and then loses to Parris and then Gable beats Parris? Not for sure if Gable and Parris will wrestle each other...

So what's the B1G seedings if Cass beats Gable and then loses to Parris and then Gable beats Parris? Not for sure if Gable and Parris will wrestle each other...
Not going to happen, Michigan and Minnesota already wrestled, Steveson was MIA and Parris pinned the backup.

Amen to that, my friend! He's already done exponentially better than I imagined based on the couple matches I saw him in last year, one of which was the Stencel match. I'm so impressed with the difference. He is a bad man, and I will be fricking ecstatic if he can win one of the two against GS and Parris. Like I said, I'm already extremely impressed with what he's done, so these are icing on the cake. Win or lose, as long as he learns from them. :)

And you don't think Cass this year is a big improvement over Stoll on 1 leg as well? Strange post

I don't think the "Cass will be ok" part of your post is what people are taking issue with as much as it is your rationale for Parris being an alleged underdog in this match. If you watched Parris closely last year, you'd understand that large heavies with even just a moderate amount of skill and health gave him fits because he would gas trying to (a) shoot legs and then have to get out from beneath the subsequent sprawl, and (b) escape
from bottom during mat wrestling.

1-legged Stoll or 2-legged Stoll, Parris
typically wasn't beating that kind of guy unless he could (a) throw him for a TD and (b) avoid being on bottom more than a minute in the match. Neither was happening at his stage of development last year. However, this year's version of Parris would be a totally different story. So it doesn't make sense to say Cass will be ok vs. Parris simply because of the latter's performance vs. Stoll last year; his problems of last year appear to have been resolved.

If Cass will be ok, it is because he is really good, and just a bit better than Parris, who is also really good. I expect it to be close, perhaps coming down to RT. Cass will need to be sharp on his feet, though.

I don't think the "Cass will be ok" part of your post is what people are taking issue with as much as it is your rationale for Parris being an alleged underdog in this match. If you watched Parris closely last year, you'd understand that large heavies with even just a moderate amount of skill and health gave him fits because he would gas trying to (a) shoot legs and then have to get out from beneath the subsequent sprawl, and (b) escape

typically wasn't beating that kind of guy unless he could (a) throw him for a TD and (b) avoid being on bottom more than a minute in the match. Neither was happening at his stage of development last year. However, this year's version of Parris would be a totally different story. So it doesn't make sense to say Cass will be ok vs. Parris simply because of the latter's performance vs. Stoll last year; his problems of last year appear to have been resolved.

If Cass will be ok, it is because he is really good, and just a bit better than Parris, who is also really good. I expect it to be close, perhaps coming down to RT. Cass will need to be sharp on his feet, though.

Cut it out! Chief is our designated logical, rational poster on this here Cesspool.

"There can only be one."
images

The point is that you can't knock Parris for losing to Stoll but ignore Cass' losses, which were worse. Both guys are much improved. Should be a good match but I like Cass.

Concise spot on post. I got excited when I watched tape on Cass from when he was in HS. He wrestles like a middle weight and has a very high mat IQ. His 7th place finish at Midlands last year was very disappointing and he looked pretty bad in his losses. My expectations of him this year were that maybe he could improve and land on the podium in the 6-8 range. He obviously has made huge strides and looks amazing. He has a far superior skill set to Mason, my only concern is that to my knowledge Cass hasn’t wrestled anyone this year with the physicality that Mason has. It’s going to be a good test for him, but my money is on Cass in a 7-6ish type match.

Slow your roll. I NEVER said Parris was an under dog. I said i think Cass will be OK. I think Cass beats him, but i don't think it's going to be easy. Cass's losses in the past have been largely from him trying big moves and getting himself in trouble, if he avoids that i think GS is the only one that beats him this year, but Parris is obviously more than capable. The point about Stoll was just illustrating Parris' problems against some of the bigger heavies

Last edited:
Your and Idiot!
I wouldn't say he was dirty but defiantly chippy. Gable tends to bring that out in people. Just a heads up, when calling people idiots you should probably use the proper form of you're.[/QUOTE]
Sorry you are an Idiot. And yes the chippiness was first caused by GS. I know Chippiness is not a word, and thanks for coming.

Reactions: rassling
Slow your roll. I NEVER said Parris was an under dog. I said i think Cass will be OK. I think Cass beats him, but i don't think it's going to be easy. Cass's losses in the past have been largely from him trying big moves and getting himself in trouble, if he avoids that i think GS is the only one that beats him this year, but Parris is obviously more than capable. The point about Stoll was just illustrating Parris' problems against some of the bigger heavies

Slow my roll, lol.

I hope Cass wins against Stevenson but I don't think it happens. Cass is so good and super quick, it's a shame Stevenson is a sophmore. Cass most likely won't get his title til senior year. However then comes Kerkvliet , Ferrari, and who ever else. I hope and pray some of you are right and Stevenson tires out in the 3rd period. Go Cass and prove me to be way wrong.

Question: Cassioppi appeared heavily bandaged (leg) Saturday vs Michigan. And he seemed to wobble while leaving the mat, post Paris match. I’ve not seen this previously. Did anyone notice this? Will he wrestling vs Minnesota/Stevenson Saturday? Or be held out/replaced in line-up by Costello, or even Corbin? Status-anyone?

Question: Cassioppi appeared heavily bandaged (leg) Saturday vs Michigan. And he seemed to wobble while leaving the mat, post Paris match. I’ve not seen this previously. Did anyone notice this? Will he wrestling vs Minnesota/Stevenson Saturday? Or be held out/replaced in line-up by Costello, or even Corbin? Status-anyone?
Nobody knows anything about Iowa Wrestling injuries or dings outside of the kid, parents and Coaches. And they Never say. And I mean never. It ain't changing today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT