ADVERTISEMENT

OKIE ST GRADES

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Start it off by saying I believe this is the best we have looked health wise in a REAL L O N G time!!!

125 AYALA #4 vs # 12. He appears to be a little more content on winning matches late then I would like to see. I believe he can score more often and early to get a lead. That being said, he wrestled solid. Started us off with a big win 85

133 TESKE UR vs # 3 His hand fighting was very good, The NEUTRAL DANGER 3 count rule SUCKS!!! I believe he showed he should be the man moving forward! Did his job by not giving up bonus in tough situation 80

141 WOODS #2 vs #8 Was in quick off whistle but could not finish. He pushed pace most of match, Excellent work on TD in 2nd. He looks like he is healthy and ready to become a NC!!! 90

149 TRIPLE V UR vs 18 Had a deep shot early, felt he could finish. Was good D by opponent, but he got into same situation again and made no adjustments? 70

157 FRANEK #5 vs # 10 No score in 1st was not best case, but hard work on bottom to get 1 in 2nd. Then started to get to his Offense, got the locked hands call keeping him from major 91

165 Caliendo #7 vs #3 HUGE WIN great 1st TD even better 2nd TD and ride out to finish period! Would have liked to see a harder push to get major 99

174 KENNEDY #7 vs # 21 2 shots TWOOOOO takedowns! then good work on top to finish first with 2+ minutes of riding time! Got stall calls, got late TD for major 97

184 ARNOLD UR vs #2 Kid is TUFF, smart, strong and athletic. Will be a FORCE at 174!!! give him the 83

197 GLAZIER # 11 vs # 16 kid gets the HELL YEA!!! Plus has to get some kind of team award. Would have liked to see an early TD but a hard nosed battle, SEALING the DEAL AGAIN!!!! What a scramble for winning TD!!!

Heavy BIG Ben UR vs # 11 WOW!!! said it once and I will keep saying it. Kid can be a MULTI-TIME CHAMPION. Can not believe the progress he has made in such a short time!!! 100

Over all the Venue was great, thought the announcers were good. REFS were good also with very little BS. There mat is kinda funky but cool. IOWA needs a NEW MAT with some POP in my opinion.

Best overall match IOWA has wrestled in a while!!! Lets ROLL into the B1Gs with some momentum and crown some champions and get some upsets!!!

Last edited:
Start it off by saying I believe this is the best we have looked health wise in a REAL L O N G time!!!

125 AYALA #4 vs # 12. He appears to be a little more content on winning matches late then I would like to see. I believe he can score more often and early to get a lead. That being said, he wrestled solid. Started us off with a big win 85

133 TESKE UR vs # 3 His hand fighting was very good, The NEUTRAL DANGER 3 count rule SUCKS!!! I believe he showed he should be the man moving forward! Did his job by not giving up bonus in tough situation 80

141 WOODS #2 vs #8 Was in quick off whistle but could not finish. He pushed pace most of match, Excellent work on TD in 2nd. He looks like he is healthy and ready to become a NC!!! 90

157 FRANEK #5 vs # 10 No score in 1st was not best case, but hard work on bottom to get 1 in 2nd. Then started to get to his Offense, got the locked hands call keeping him from major 91

165 Caliendo #7 vs #3 HUGE WIN great 1st TD even better 2nd TD and ride out to finish period! Would have liked to see a harder push to get major 99

174 KENNEDY #7 vs # 21 2 shots TWOOOOO takedowns! then good work on top to finish first with 2+ minutes of riding time! Got stall calls, got late TD for major 97

184 ARNOLD UR vs #2 Kid is TUFF, smart, strong and athletic. Will be a FORCE at 174!!! give him the 83

197 GLAZIER # 11 vs # 16 kid gets the HELL YEA!!! Plus has to get some kind of team award. Would have liked to see an early TD but a hard nosed battle, SEALING the DEAL AGAIN!!!! What a scramble for winning TD!!!

Heavy BIG Ben UR vs # 11 WOW!!! said it once and I will keep saying it. Kid can be a MULTI-TIME CHAMPION. Can not believe the progress he has made in such a short time!!! 100

Over all the Venue was great, thought the announcers were good. REFS were good also with very little BS. There mat is kinda funky but cool. IOWA needs a NEW MAT with some POP in my opinion.

Best overall match IOWA has wrestled in a while!!! Lets ROLL into the B1Gs with some momentum and crown some champions and get some upsets!!!
Did Glazier get an incomplete or something?

Reactions: Sullivan
Drake got it done. Fun to see the angry bird still flapping his jaws after he got beat.
Teske is the guy. Hope he can go out as an AA.
Real is real and is back.
Franek just doesnt realize how much offense he has, plays too much good D for too long.
Cali is the funnest Hawk to watch when he is on. I still think he has a shot at Saturday night.
Kenedy isnt talked about enough. The guy is a stud and going to make some noise in March.
Gabe had good defense but cant wait to see him as the man next year at his weight.
Glazier puts it on ice again. You can tell he was Jwars partner, got that ankle pick and funk.
Keuter beats #11, no doubt he should go unless Hill is beating him in the room.

So if Glazier gets second at B10s with his only two losses to Brooks, what should his NCAA seed be? Certainly higher than 11 I would think?!
Current coaches rankings.

1 Brooks Penn St
2 Hidlay NC State
3 Beard Lehigh
4 Sloan SDSU
5 Smith Maryland
6 Buchanan Oklahoma
7 Cardenas Cornell
8 Elam Missouri
9 DePrez Binghamton
10 Little Arkansas Little-Rock
11 Glazier Iowa

Brooks, Hidlay, Beard, Sloan, Smith, Deprez and Little have not lost since rankings. Buchanan hasn’t wrestled since Feb 9 when he took his first loss to Sloan. Sloan pinned Elam and Deprez beat Cardenas.

Glazier needs to get to Big 10 final and that would mean beating Jaxon Smith in the semi’s.

Sloan, Buchanan and Elam are all Big 12 so two of them will take a loss at the Big 12 tourney.

Beard, Cardenas and Deprez are all EIWA. Beard should win the tourney. He beat Deprez 12-1 and Cardenas 10-3 during duals. So Deprez and Cardenas will each take another loss.

Hidlay should roll to the ACC title and Little will most likely win the Pac 12.

Seeding criteria:

Head-to-Head competition - 25%
Quality Wins (wins against opponents already in the field) - 20%
Qualifying Event Placement - 15%
Results against common opponents - 10%
RPI - 10%
Coaches Ranking - 10%
Win percentage - 10%

Best guess if Glazier finishes 2nd at Big 10’s is probably 7-10 seed.

I agree^^^^^ Nice work dude!!! GLAZIER is going to have to knock a few wrestlers off on his way to AAing. Salty road for sure but he has been up to the task all year long!!!

I think the ref(s) did a great job today. It seemed like the main ref wasn’t letting anything slip and wanted the wrestlers to push the pace which was awesome. He did seem to make it a point a LOT about the finger grabbing going on.

agreed. he allowed reaction time to go longer than i would have liked but he was consistent with it so that’s about all you can ask nowadays.

I think the ref(s) did a great job today. It seemed like the main ref wasn’t letting anything slip and wanted the wrestlers to push the pace which was awesome. He did seem to make it a point a LOT about the finger grabbing going on.
I thought he was one of the better referees we have seen this year. I haven’t seen him before, is he a Big 12 ref? He should be reffing at NCAA’s.
His stalling calls were consistent, especially on the top man, and only one review.

Last edited:
125 B Drake got the win and never looked to much in danger and I think for the most part pushed however I hate this waiting till late in the third or overtime to make your big move. It's going to bite you big time in March.

133 B Teske Showed great fight and even better motor. I still am not 100% sure who you go with for post season.

141 A- Woods starting to look back in form. Hope he continues to build.

149 C Took lots of shot but did not finish one of them. Hope Rathjen is the guy in the post season.

157 A- Franek doing Franek things. That first takedown was a thing of beauty. Does his style translate to post collegiate wrestling?

165 A Cali looked really good against a strong opponent. I'm so glad we picked him up.

174 A Looked good against a less strong opponent. I think losing in the SS was the best thing that could happen to him in some ways. He looks strong as a 174 imo and his slight lack of quickness plays better against bigger guys imo.

184 UR IMO this just proves that all those people advocating for Gabe to keep his shirt have been right. Gabe looked like the kind of guy that will give people problems next year and will benefit overall from an extra year before he jumps into the fray full time.

197 A What do you say about Zach that has not been said. No matter what happens in March it's been gravy. I think he gets on the podium though. Maybe makes a Cinderella run.

285 A Ben still to me does not quite have the look of a good college heavy weight but he really gets by on natural talent and probably makes it to the podium or at least the blood round. I'm not quite sure what you do here for the post season though. To me his red shirt has no value though.

Oh and 100% agree with Ironbird on the mat. I don't understand why we have a mat with a hole in it. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONBIRD
Current coaches rankings.

1 Brooks Penn St
2 Hidlay NC State
3 Beard Lehigh
4 Sloan SDSU
5 Smith Maryland
6 Buchanan Oklahoma
7 Cardenas Cornell
8 Elam Missouri
9 DePrez Binghamton
10 Little Arkansas Little-Rock
11 Glazier Iowa

Brooks, Hidlay, Beard, Sloan, Smith, Deprez and Little have not lost since rankings. Buchanan hasn’t wrestled since Feb 9 when he took his first loss to Sloan. Sloan pinned Elam and Deprez beat Cardenas.

Glazier needs to get to Big 10 final and that would mean beating Jaxon Smith in the semi’s.

Sloan, Buchanan and Elam are all Big 12 so two of them will take a loss at the Big 12 tourney.

Beard, Cardenas and Deprez are all EIWA. Beard should win the tourney. He beat Deprez 12-1 and Cardenas 10-3 during duals. So Deprez and Cardenas will each take another loss.

Hidlay should roll to the ACC title and Little will most likely win the Pac 12.

Seeding criteria:

Head-to-Head competition - 25%
Quality Wins (wins against opponents already in the field) - 20%
Qualifying Event Placement - 15%
Results against common opponents - 10%
RPI - 10%
Coaches Ranking - 10%
Win percentage - 10%

Best guess if Glazier finishes 2nd at Big 10’s is probably 7-10 seed.
I'm going to go ahead and ask the stupid question and suffer the consequences: Which is the official metric for individual rankings as well as team rankings? Is there even one?

I'm going to go ahead and ask the stupid question and suffer the consequences: Which is the official metric for individual rankings as well as team rankings? Is there even one?
Depends on which rankings you are going by.

I look at all of them. I think I have the main ones covered below. I do not in anyway speak for the collective just as a fairly newish somewhat rabid fan. (about 8 years).

Flo
Intermat
Openmat
I put these three basically all in the same category. They are put together by journalists / wrestling insiders. I think they all tend to be fairly accurate but can have some bias especially towards bigger schools. I usually look at all three and in my mind pick the middle when looking at anyone.

NWCA Coaches rankings. Don't come out until January and even have a minimum number of matches required so often looks very odd as early as lots of top guys don't qualify. I personally don't use this one until maybe the end of the year. I don't think coaches are the right people to do rankings.
Wrestlestat This is a based on some sort of formula based on all past matches including prior seasons and who beat who. It gives very odd results sometimes and is not generally the one I use but it is interesting to look at and the site has so much data. It's also the only one that ranks all wrestlers not just starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT