ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Reportedly 'Vetted' 10 Schools For Possible Expansion

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Expansion in college football is only growing, not diminishing. Come 2024, two conferences will move to 16 programs as the Big Ten welcomes Pac-12 flagships USC and UCLA, while the SEC will add Big 12 powerhouses Texas and Oklahoma.

That's just the start for the Big Ten. Could more programs join the mix in the not-so-distant future?

According to longtime reporter Jim Williams, 10 programs have been "vetted" by the Big Ten for possible membership. This list includes, in no particular order, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Utah and Miami.

Westward expansion is a priority for the Big Ten and Big 12. New Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has spoken adamantly of moving further west to own markets in all four time zones. According to reports, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State all could be potential additions to the conference should the Pac-12 dissolve due to its current predicament.

The Pac-12 is entering the final year of its current media rights deal and has yet to set a plan in motion for future broadcasting rights. Several schools have already inquired about potential statuses in different conferences, though nothing is official as of this time.

The ACC is currently in a stranglehold as well due to its grant-of-rights deal. According to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, the ACC has an internal rift with seven of the 14 conference schools working together to examine the grant-of-rights contract.

Nicknamed "The Magnificent Seven," the list of schools is spearheaded by Clemson and Florida State. Other programs that have been public in their dismay over the current grant-of-rights agreemehttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/big-ten-reportedly-vetted-10-schools-for-possible-expansion/ar-AA1cdgMm?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=89761951531b409ba1cfa2aceb3cd494&ei=5nt include N.C. State, Miami, UNC, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Why was Colorado not one of them? (For selfish reasons)

Miami is interesting as their football stadium is generally 79% empty if their team sucks. Visiting crowd might have more attendees there.

I continue to think the Big Ten will add 4 more west coast teams so that USC and UCLA don’t have 20+ varsity sports programs constantly traveling back and forth across the country.

I could see IA/WI/NE/MN joining the 6 Pacific teams to form the Big Ten West and the other 10 schools forming the Big Ten East.

Are these super conferences going to have to split into 4 different divisions and have a playoff for the conference winner?

This is getting out of hand.
That’s the end goal. There will be 1-4 conferences and then just a massive playoff system.

I kind of liked SC and UCLA. But I will admit a 20-30 team conference is sort of a joke.

I blame a lot of this on those that just couldn’t live with the thought of having two teams call themselves a national champion like college football had for most of its history. Instead we now have this complete disaster brewing, plus awful football games to decide the champion. The vast majority of CFP games have been absolute clunkers.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

Miami is interesting as their football stadium is generally 79% empty if their team sucks. Visiting crowd might have more attendees there.
Piss on Miami. Don’t want them.
A Mountain team makes a lot of sense. Maybe even two.

I continue to think the Big Ten will add 4 more west coast teams so that USC and UCLA don’t have 20+ varsity sports programs constantly traveling back and forth across the country.

I could see IA/WI/NE/MN joining the 6 Pacific teams to form the Big Ten West and the other 10 schools forming the Big Ten East.

That would suck, just two of the historical Big Ten teams.

Story floating earlier in the week that Big12 is for Colorado.

We share a state of 3 million people with another University. We have a base under a million people.

Take off the gold colored glasses.
Iowa is 27th nationally and right in the middle of the Big Ten in terms of tv viewership numbers for football. They are right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers.

Iowa will never be one of the big dogs like Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State, but they bring just as much to the table as any B1G school that isn’t one of those three.

F it, go to 24 with 4 divisions. 10 conference games. Rake in the cash. 4 division winners guarantee a spot in the CFP. Same with the SEC. All other conferences get a spot for their champion and then wild card or at large spots to get to 16.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Are these super conferences going to have to split into 4 different divisions and have a playoff for the conference winner?

This is getting out of hand.
I think 4 six teams divisions…that’s 5 games against division foes with a game against bad team from each of the other divisions…that’s 8 games. Semifinal and conference title games would make 9 and 10. If it’s regional, Iowa would benefit from lesser competition in division.

Iowa is 27th nationally and right in the middle of the Big Ten in terms of tv viewership numbers for football. They are right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers.

Iowa will never be one of the big dogs like Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State, but they bring just as much to the table as any B1G school that isn’t one of those three.

I would rather we work on making the school better. Let the millionaire coaches and players do it somewhere else.

I like the idea if adding 3 more west coast team and another eastern team.

Gives you four five team divisions and a little of the regional rivalry concept still alive

The west coast 5 in a division or pod then Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois in a fun division.

Leaves 10 to the east to split up if you add one more that way.

Reactions: nu2u and TJ8869
I like the idea if adding 3 more west coast team and another eastern team.

Gives you four five team divisions and a little of the regional rivalry concept still alive

The west coast 5 in a division or pod then Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois in a fun division.

Leaves 10 to the east to split up if you add one more that way.
That makes sense as well. The main thing is adding west coast teams to cut down on travel for USC and UCLA. And if you can add the San Francisco, Seattle, and Phoenix tv markets then so much the better.

As we transition to super conferences it will be interesting to see if the NCAA lets them add semifinal football games. If the Big Ten had four 5-team divisions they could have the division champions play a four-team tournament for the conference championship.

That’s the end goal. There will be 1-4 conferences and then just a massive playoff system.

I kind of liked SC and UCLA. But I will admit a 20-30 team conference is sort of a joke.

I blame a lot of this on those that just couldn’t live with the thought of having two teams call themselves a national champion like college football had for most of its history. Instead we now have this complete disaster brewing, plus awful football games to decide the champion. The vast majority of CFP games have been absolute clunkers.

I don't think it's quite that.

I think it's more of an issue of everyone trying to position themselves to get the most money.

That’s an interesting list, and pretty close to what I had in my head the other day when I was brainstorming to get to 24.

Cal, Stanford, U Dub, Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Ga Tech are no-brainers for academic reasons. Oregon clearly for money. So that’s 8 that were in my list of 10 add ons. My only differences were Notre Dame (I think if ACC dissolves, this finally forces Notre Dame to officially cave) and Syracuse. But I like Miami, too (footprint, academics, and athletics). Utah is a bit of a head scratcher.

At the end of the day, I could see 3 super conferences of 24 teams, each having a playoff to determine conf champ for a 4 team National playoff, with the 4th spot an at-large that could come from a “non-super” conference playoff. Super conferences could have (in their playoff) their 4 division champions plus a couple at-large in their conference who would play the lowest seeded division winners to balance out any divisional inequities. So for a high seed super conference division winner, they would need to win 2 games for conference championship and then 2 more for the Natty. That’s one more game than today. An at-large super conference non-division champ would need to win 5 total games. The non-super conference playoff could be set up any number of ways.

Iowa cant compete in this in the long run. I hope people understand that. The economics are not in Iowa's favor.
You keep changing your argument. First it was Iowa is a freeloader in the Big Ten. Then it was you want Iowa to drop athletics and focus on academics. Now you’re claiming Iowa can’t compete.

Please explain any of these arguments in further detail, preferably using documented facts and data and not merely your own self-loathing.

Everybody is assuming that iowa is going to have a seat when the music stops…..it won’t, which is why we should all be opposing this conference arms race

The only way Iowa doesn't have a seat is if the B1G dissolves (which it won't). Any current B1G/SEC school doesn't have anything to worry about. The other 3 P5 conference's schools can't say the same.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Iowa really belongs in the Mountain West anyway. By resources. We are a free rider in the B1G.
This general topic has entered my mind a few times - at what point does the B1G become something where some of the legacy, perhaps non premier, schools like Iowa no longer fit the conference vision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT