ADVERTISEMENT

Fuck big ten fuck target center

Is it true true that every seat is General admission? And if so, how the hell do you seat people when the arena is sold out?
Thought just the upper part of arena was general admission. Even so, sounds like they did not manage the sellout crowd well at all. Maybe they will figure it out before tomorrow’s sessions.

Seeing the reports of lines forming hours prior to tipoff, as in 6+ hours in advance of the game, I couldn't figure out what was going on. It never occurred to me that they would try to handle that on a GA basis. Ye gods.

What maroons.
There were reports that people were in line at 9:00 a.m., which is 8 1/2 hours before tip off. How would you like to spend your day that way? Absolutely ridiculous that they handled the ticket situation like that.

And it's not like these tickets are cheap, either.

I got in line 3 hours before doors opened. I was in line next to someone who works for Minneapolis events and hospitality. She said this is all the B1G’s fault. They tell the arenas exactly what they want and how to ticket.

Tix went on sale in December, it’s not like they didn’t know it wasn’t going to be a huge crowd. I was hearing reports that when the doors opened, the line was something like 10 blocks long.

Part of the problem is they designate certain rows in the lower bowl as GA and everything up top as GA. But then you have people saving seats or leaving a seat between them and their neighbor. Just a shitshow.

At least they are opening the doors thirty minutes earlier tomorrow so they got the message.

There were reports that people were in line at 9:00 a.m., which is 8 1/2 hours before tip off. How would you like to spend your day that way? Absolutely ridiculous that they handled the ticket situation like that.

I think these tickets are literally about as cheap as you can get.

Well stupid is right, if you buy 4 tickets to sit together then you might not find 4 together, imagine kinnick as gen admission
Yikes...I didn't even think of that angle...so let's say grandpa and grandma want to show their elementary school aged grandkids a good time and splash the cash to take them to the 2024 B10 WBB tourney. Only they get there and learn that you will need to get in line HOURS in advance of tip off AND then may not be able to sit together!!!

That would not only be exhausting and infuriating, but potentially dangerous to split up families/groups across the arena. Come one B10/Minny...that's ridiculous.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
We got in line 4 hours early, had about 40 people in front of us. 10 minutes before the doors opened, that somehow ballooned to 150 people. There was no way for security to manage people getting in line. Was a disaster.

By the time we ran upstairs to find seats, there were probably 500 people already seated where we were looking to sit.

• Wow
Reactions: JupiterHawk
We are planning to get in line tomorrow by 8 am. This is just the literal worst way to manage the ticket process.
You’re better than me. One time doing that was enough. We’re just gonna go when it opens tomorrow and assume we’ll get nosebleeds. Hopefully Iowa playing second will loosen the crowd a bit.

I got in line 3 hours before doors opened. I was in line next to someone who works for Minneapolis events and hospitality. She said this is all the B1G’s fault. They tell the arenas exactly what they want and how to ticket.

Tix went on sale in December, it’s not like they didn’t know it wasn’t going to be a huge crowd. I was hearing reports that when the doors opened, the line was something like 10 blocks long.

Part of the problem is they designate certain rows in the lower bowl as GA and everything up top as GA. But then you have people saving seats or leaving a seat between them and their neighbor. Just a shitshow.

At least they are opening the doors thirty minutes earlier tomorrow so they got the message.

Target Center seats 19,000

Sounds like at least 80% of the seats were first come, first serve general admission

The B1G messed up big time. Every ticket should have come with an assigned seat

I think these tickets are literally about as cheap as you can get.
GA all-session tickets were $75 but then they added $50 in fees so total ran ~ $125. Reasonable if you are going to every game but as an Iowa fan, we only care about Iowa games. If Iowa would have lost Friday night, you are paying that for one game, with nobody from other teams interested.

Tomorrow we plan to go at a normal time and just deal with being in the nosebleeds.

I always ask would the men’s tournament do GA seating? Absolutely not. Then why is the women’s doing it with CC22 in the house? Dumb on the B1G and Minnesota as the host school for not being smarter about this fiasco.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Isn't the other issue that it was the first game of the last session of the day? So they didn't start letting people in until just 1 hour before tip? 20k people and 3/4 general admission.... Going through more security than Carver. Impossible to do in 1 hour.

Today it is just the one session and doors open at 11:30 and we don't play until about 3:30. It'll be much better today.

We plan on just getting there at 1:30 and be in the nosebleeds again. Not waiting for hours with a kiddo.

So stupid that it's GA tho. IDIOTS

Easily could have made the entire arena reserved seating. Other option: should have made lower section reserved only and upper section GA only, AND THEN NOT required those with all-session reserved to clear the arena. Would have eliminated half the back up. Guess it won't matter next year as demand will drop back to previous levels.

So with there being multiple sessions, that means people there at 9am had to wait until the doors opened at 4:30? No going in for earlier sessions? Do they empty the arena after each session?

Combination of General Admission and having Iowa in the 1st game of a session that only opens gates 1 hr before tip. Complete incompetence.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It was definitely an issue for fans that went to first session thinking they didn’t have to leave between sessions. Saw some pretty depressed families and upset kiddos with their signs as they walked out and saw the monstrous line waiting for them.

Having said that, it only took a little bit of research effort to know they cleared the arena between sessions.

I always ask would the men’s tournament do GA seating? Absolutely not. Then why is the women’s doing it with CC22 in the house? Dumb on the B1G and Minnesota as the host school for not being smarter about this fiasco.

From what I have heard, this was the Big Ten's decision on how to ticket the event so the blame is 100% on the Big Ten Conference. Minnesota is simply the host City and they following the rules that are set by the Big 10.

If this event were like a normal event, it would have been just like going to a Minnesota Timberwolves basketball game. You could have showed up less than an hour before tip, the lines would have moved and you simply go to your assigned seat. Instead, the Big 10 created a complete cluster f*** by making this event General admission. Who the hell wants to line up at the entrance 8 and 1/2 hours before tip off? Well, that's the situation that was created yesterday.

We were in line last night past parking ramp C, sat mid-level upper deck. Not bad seats. But then moved down for the MI-IN game and you realize what a different experience it is watching the players up close vs from the nosebleeds. Awesome atmosphere last night. Having been to a few timberwolves games and other events at the target center, it was surreal to see the place literally packed with hawkeye fans, doing the I-O-W-A chant, in heaven there is no beer, etc in that venue

I’m in line rn. The person in front got here at 4:30 this morning

doc-rivers.gif

I’m in line rn. The person in front got here at 4:30 this morning
Minnesota knows what they are doing when it comes to hosting Big Time events. The city has hosted Super Bowls, Final Fours, and other major events. This shit show is all on the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten decided that this is the way they wanted to ticket the tournament and this complete disaster was the result.

I am sure that Caitlin is embarrassed that people are calling this the Caitlin Clark effect because this is embarrassing and a complete disaster and I'm sure she would not want her name attached to it.

We were in line last night past parking ramp C, sat mid-level upper deck. Not bad seats. But then moved down for the MI-IN game and you realize what a different experience it is watching the players up close vs from the nosebleeds. Awesome atmosphere last night. Having been to a few timberwolves games and other events at the target center, it was surreal to see the place literally packed with hawkeye fans, doing the I-O-W-A chant, in heaven there is no beer, etc in that venue
Target Center is 34 years old. The new owners of the Timberwolves have stated that eventually they will want a new arena. Damn billionaires.

Target Center is 34 years old. The new owners of the Timberwolves have stated that eventually they will want a new arena. Damn billionaires.
Madison Square Garden is the only NBA arena which is older. It had a major renovation a little over 10 years ago.

And they did a remodel just a few years ago!

We knew we were going to get nosebleed seats yesterday as we chose to have a few drinks and food before going in; but my lord we did not expect to barely make tipoff by not getting in line until 4. Agree with everyone else, it was a complete disaster having one entrance open for the GA tickets.

Probaby just getting nosebleeds again today as we are going to wait for the first game to start and then go in.

Wasn't there, but with the lines it sounds like it was Black Friday.

OTOH with an Iowa win and Bucknut and Hoosier losses it sounds actually like a Good Friday.

Confusing, huh?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT